Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 307 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Or as our resident comrades say, Azov battalion headquarters.

I am sure their FSB feed will have something about the Azov explosive units that rigged the building to look like a Russian bombing. It will be linked to the limited deaths since they only wanted to “look” like Russia for the PR.

What a bunch of cucks.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Well, I stand corrected, China really has pivoted on supporting Russia's "special operation" in Ukraine, at least when they're talking to the West. This doesn't show up on Chinese media without approval. Although again, this is the media focused on influencing the US impressions of China, and haven't seen if broader Chinese media messaging at home is carrying any of this yet.

Reactions: RnR_au

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Well, I stand corrected, China really has pivoted on supporting Russia's "special operation" in Ukraine, at least when they're talking to the West. This doesn't show up on Chinese media without approval. Although again, this is the media focused on influencing the US impressions of China, and haven't seen if broader Chinese media messaging at home is carrying any of this yet.
But on the other hand, even while allowing possibility that Russians are killing civilians when talking to the West, there is this: US still "concerned" China is planning to directly assist Russia's military equipment. China still does appear to excel at talking out of both sides of their mouth.

Reactions: Racan and Number1

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
But on the other hand, even while allowing possibility that Russians are killing civilians when talking to the West, there is this: US still "concerned" China is planning to directly assist Russia's military equipment. China still does appear to excel at talking out of both sides of their mouth.

WH keeping the pressure up on Xi for when they speak. Congress is already talking about China sanctions if they help the Russians, the EU would certainly follow.

Reactions: Number1

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I hope we manage to stop suckling at the Chinese teat soon :confused:
I doubt that's going to happen. That's where bulk of manufacturing capacity is right now and they have tons of rare earth elements necessary for high tech electronics and renewable energy. My guess is that as fossil fuel fades and gets replaced by green energy China will spiritually become the new Middle East.

Reactions: adamsleath

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Twitter is banned in China.
The only ones seeing that are people NOT in China.
Propoganda.

This is of course only one indicator but they are also prone to bellicose declarations via the same platform through mouthpieces. Eventually we'll hear if there is a domestic shift in messaging too or not.

adamsleath

May 4, 2007
Who is paying for all this high tech weaponry ?

Oh. , Right, you are . The fed is anyway I suppose .

But hey it does the job. Neutralising invaders is the job right now.

Keep a level head. & Be vigilant.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I doubt that's going to happen. That's where bulk of manufacturing capacity is right now and they have tons of rare earth elements necessary for high tech electronics and renewable energy. My guess is that as fossil fuel fades and gets replaced by green energy China will spiritually become the new Middle East.
I know, our sparkling billionaires aren't keen on anything that might lose them any amount of profits.

Reactions: KMFJD

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
My wife and I were talking about the post-conflict Ukraine assuming victory and just the mess that country will have to deal with.

Like right now we are fixated on just a binary win/loss getting Russia out. But the long term clean up Ukraine will face. Those 3 million people that left, how many have homes let alone a village to come back to. All of the dud mortars/missiles/mines/military garbage left. Bodies. Destroyed infrastructure. Just the entirety of chaos and destruction we can't really fathom. And then you have the civil concern of what to do with Russian apologists still in your borders.

Even victory is going to be bittersweet for that poor country to pick up the shambles it's left with.
That's why we can't just ease off sanctions soon after Russia packs up and leaves, assuming that deal is made. Russia is the jilted ex- who is blowing up Ukraine because "if I can't have her, nobody will!" Any rollback of sanctions needs to be very gradual and frankly, I'd prefer that Russia be treated as a pariah state if possible (but keep the oil and gas flowing LOL).

The good news is that the U.S. helped rebuild western Europe post- WW2. It'll cost a ton of money to do it in the modern era, but probably can be done for much less than it costs to rebuild our own aging infrastructure. :tearsofjoy:

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
FT reported yesterday:

India’s central bank is in initial consultations on a rupee-rouble trade arrangement with Moscow that would enable exports to Russia to continue after western sanctions restricted international payment mechanisms.

Time to boycot all India buisness.

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
That's why we can't just ease off sanctions soon after Russia packs up and leaves, assuming that deal is made. Russia is the jilted ex- who is blowing up Ukraine because "if I can't have her, nobody will!" Any rollback of sanctions needs to be very gradual and frankly, I'd prefer that Russia be treated as a pariah state if possible (but keep the oil and gas flowing LOL).

The good news is that the U.S. helped rebuild western Europe post- WW2. It'll cost a ton of money to do it in the modern era, but probably can be done for much less than it costs to rebuild our own aging infrastructure. :tearsofjoy:
All those Russian assets being held go to Ukraine.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
While one can argue that Russia isn't winning, they still aren't retreating on any front. And I would remind folks that Ukraine is still in most respects losing, given massive damage to infrastructure and harm to civilians. But then again, as almost always in war, only the arms suppliers and financers ever really "win".

One new comprehensive interactive tool documenting civilian damage from available sources to date:

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
lots of places have lots of Rare earth metals , just no one was/is willing to mine them at the price china does. yes prices would increase but many viable alternate's exsist.

Reactions: Number1 and KMFJD

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
FT reported yesterday:

India’s central bank is in initial consultations on a rupee-rouble trade arrangement with Moscow that would enable exports to Russia to continue after western sanctions restricted international payment mechanisms.

Time to boycot all India buisness.

Other than the occasional tech support call...I already do.

• Haha
Reactions: Muse and pcgeek11