Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 203 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Probably mentioned already, but military analysts familiar with Russian tactics are saying they have used their lower grade, poorly trained conscripts to waste the Ukrainians ammo and resources just before they send in the more elite troops to mop up the place.

I don't doubt there were some conscripts/etc in the "first wave" that we've seen ... but that doesn't line up with some of the equipment we've seen being used. Nor does it explain why they're bringing in even more eastern district reinforcements after the fact.

This just has plain old military failure written all over it at this point.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Probably mentioned already, but military analysts familiar with Russian tactics are saying they have used their lower grade, poorly trained conscripts to waste the Ukrainians ammo and resources just before they send in the more elite troops to mop up the place.
Seems like they didn't count on Ukraine having access to the stockpiles of the entire world.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I asked about this days ago, wtf can Ukraine realistically give Putin?
My thought is one or more of the following:
1) accept annexation of crimea.
2) some sort of special status for the breakaway regions, maybe up to acknowledging their independence.
3) promise not to join NATO.
4) promise some sort of permanent neutral status.

None of those options is great but it seems like the other option is the balls out one where Russia likely conquers Ukraine and then fights a bloody insurgency for years. Maybe in the end Ukraine wins that way but at what cost?

Reactions: Meghan54

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Saw this posted somewheer else, to give you an idea of the hardware being donated

The Forum on the Arms Trade has been keeping track of all the weapons transfers to Ukraine announced so far. Looking just at portable anti-tank weapons, the list of what has been promised by different countries so looks like this, in descending order of numbers:

Sweden: 5,000 AT4 anti-tank weapons,
Canada: 4,500 M72 rocket launchers
Denmark: 2,700 anti-tank weapons,
Norway: 2,000 anti-tank weapons
United Kingdom: 2,000 NLAW short-range anti-tank missiles
Finland: 1,500 single-shot anti-tank weapons
Germany: 1,000 anti-tank weapons
Netherlands: 400 rocket-propelled grenade launchers
Belgium: 200 anti-tank weapons
Estonia: Unspecified number of Javelin anti-tank missiles

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
That is a very poor plan since by the time they run out of cannon fodder soldiers, Ukraine would have even more Arms than what they had before the conflict started since now Germany, Canada, USA and their Aunt is sending military aid like Stingers, Javalines and such

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I would agree with that if we were only seeing ground troops. We're seeing a large number of not only their special forces, but aircraft, tanks, helos... Not like they've got a pile of fucking jaegers sitting in underground bunkers waiting to bust out some whoopass.

Reactions: dank69

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
My thought is one or more of the following:
1) accept annexation of crimea.
2) some sort of special status for the breakaway regions, maybe up to acknowledging their independence.
3) promise not to join NATO.
4) promise some sort of permanent neutral status.

None of those options is great but it seems like the other option is the balls out one where Russia likely conquers Ukraine and then fights a bloody insurgency for years. Maybe in the end Ukraine wins that way but at what cost?
I'm still not convinced that Russia can conquer Ukraine. They can destroy it, sure, but the idea they can conquer it seems like a fucking pipe dream at this point. Some comments I've seen:

someone on r/Ukraine said about the VDV: "They're like lemmings. Even if we leave them alone, they'll find a way to kill themselves"

"I think the kill count now is 3 planes full of them? No air support, no ground support, just yolo into contested territory, fucking lol"

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Seems like they didn't count on Ukraine having access to the stockpiles of the entire world.
The first rule of war is to cut off enemy supply lines. So of course they've taken that into account. As to whether that task has been fully accomplished at this point, I dont know.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002

That is not a Russian tactic. Those “analysts” seem to have got their degree from crappy western movies.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
The first rule of war is to cut off enemy supply lines. So of course they've taken that into account. As to whether that task has been fully accomplished at this point, I dont know.
They Can't. All of those Weapons that were collecting dust due to the Western World not named USA have been at peace for decades(Like Canada) are coming to Poland and The Ukraine military are just crossing the border to get them. What is Russia going to do about it?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm still not convinced that Russia can conquer Ukraine. They can destroy it, sure, but the idea they can conquer it seems like a fucking pipe dream at this point. Some comments I've seen:

someone on r/Ukraine said about the VDV: "They're like lemmings. Even if we leave them alone, they'll find a way to kill themselves"

"I think the kill count now is 3 planes full of them? No air support, no ground support, just yolo into contested territory, fucking lol"
I guess it depends on the meaning of conquer. I think they can defeat the army of Ukraine and occupy the major population centers in the short term but I think Russia will lose to an insurgency if they try and occupy the country for an extended period.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
That is not a Russian tactic. Those “analysts” seem to have got their degree from crappy western movies.
I think it's more likely that due to corruption in the Russian military the lower ranks have been lying about staffing and readiness. When the plans for Putin's grand adventure came down the pipe sometime in the last several months built on the falsely reported readiness numbers they scrambled to fill the slots they said they had with new conscripts.

Couple that with Putin surrounding himself with yes-men and his naturally dim view of the west with what he's managed to do via psy-ops over here, and he assumed his formidable military would easily crush Zelensky and the Ukrainians while the west would fracture easily.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Canada sending 4,500 anti tank launchers. I would really like to know how many foreign fighters are currently fighting for Ukraine, and how many can be trained to operate all of these shoulder fired missiles everyone is sending.

Looks like the same thing we had back in the 1980's, they are pretty easy to use. IIRC you pop off the end caps, press a button to extend it open until it locks open, put it on your shoulder and aim and fire. Figuring out the elevation I suppose would be the most difficult thing, you don't want to miss so practice a few times would be good.

Edit: there Youtube videos showing how to use it lol.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Mouth, meet foot.
You can’t just link a book - if there’s a specific argument from it you think is right please quote the relevant passages.

I think it is clear from what has transpired so far that this was not the Russian plan, and their initial plan failed. That’s why their tactics have changed.

Reactions: Number1

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Seriously go fuck yourself. What in the fucking hell makes your hugely small brain think that kind of bullshit partisan crap is appropriate in this thread? It's beyond time for people like you to sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up. Your schtick is old, tired and full of shit. Grow the fuck up little boy, or at the very least off yourself and do the planet...the entire universe a favor!
VW Man doesn't fail to throw a hissy fit. I'm sure you were stomping your feet the entire time it took you to respond. Morons like you that support Democrats have enabled scumbags like Putin. So maybe you should try some of your own advice.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
FFwaWrZ.jpeg

I'm not so sure if the Russians are taking notes from our Repubs or the other way around because their propaganda tactics are so similar.

Reactions: dank69

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Sometimes, I drove back to the place I grew up. I pay attention to all the tings I didn't notice growing up. Mostly that is was a shit hole. I then realize how fucking awesome my life is now.

This is why you don't put him on ignore. It helps contrast reasonable and intelligent people versus an absolute moron who is either stupendously stupid or just a grad F F troll.

That and you never know when a crazy person might actually say something intelligent. Besides, ignoring people and not being able to counter their arguments only creates my own bubble, something I don’t ever want to be stuck in.