Running or Cycling?

GMI

Jun 6, 2005
Which is a better form of execrise for getting rid of my gut and getting into better shape?

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I think nobody would dispute that running is a better overall workout. I am terrible at running and really find no enjoyment in it. So it's biking for me!

MyThirdEye

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I hate to run, but I've been trying to also lose some lbs. I think that rollerblading is quite similar to running, but I enjoy to skate. On to the point, I think that cycling would be better, because you can cycle more than you can run, therefore, longer workout, more burn.

RedCOMET

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2002
I've been walking/ joggin this past week in an attempt to get back into shape. I am out of shape and i haven't been playing tennis or racquet ball on a weekly basis like i normally do.

My only problem is that I can't jog for a long time. I guess I got no endurance. or it cold be the 95+ degree Louisiana weather that's doing it for me

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I might dispute that running is a better overall workout than biking. It's higher impact, more damaging to the joints, higher intensity so most people can't do it as long (and can cause you to burn muscle tissue as well as fat), less enjoyable for most people, etc.
I think most athletes/trainers would agree that the best exercise/workout is the one that you do regularly and often, not necessarily the best overall. An exercise is no good for you if you dislike it so much that you don't do it.

That said, I recommend both (so I didn't vote in the poll). My own routine is to bike and hike in the good weather months, and then run on the treadmill indoors during the winter months. For cardio exercises, the ideal is to be as well-rounded as possible IMO.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
You have to bike 4x longer than you run. So if the fun of biking is worth the extra time to you, then do it.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
I might dispute that running is a better overall workout than biking. It's higher impact, more damaging to the joints, higher intensity so most people can't do it as long (and can cause you to burn muscle tissue as well as fat), less enjoyable for most people, etc.
I think most athletes/trainers would agree that the best exercise/workout is the one that you do regularly and often, not necessarily the best overall. An exercise is no good for you if you dislike it so much that you don't do it.

That said, I recommend both (so I didn't vote in the poll). My own routine is to bike and hike in the good weather months, and then run on the treadmill indoors during the winter months. For cardio exercises, the ideal is to be as well-rounded as possible IMO.

Well you can't really dispute an exercise is better on other factors. If you have two people of the same build etc, injury free running will be better at burning calories. It is definately not for everyone though. It is definately hard on the joints and most people wear rubbish running shoes.

As for people finding running hard, yes it is f0cking hard. Run slower, your running too fast if you can't keep going for 15-20 minutes without a break. Gradually run longer an then pick up the pace when you can get a good 25-30minutes running.

Do whatever you can stick to the most that suits your situation. If you find it hard on your joints don't run yet. Cycle or row. Then maybe try running later.

Cross country skiing burns the most calories per hr, as far as exercises you can do go. You can not sprint 100-400m pace for an hr!!!!

Koing

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: OverVolt
You have to bike 4x longer than you run. So if the fun of biking is worth the extra time to you, then do it.

basically. but if you want to focus on the gut, i don't think biking does it nearly as well as running

Rustler

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2004
I enjoy running, if you do some strength weight lifting for you legs it will help you with your running. I usually run 3-5 miles every other day.

Dec 10, 2005
I run, partly due to the lack of a bicycle. I find that it takes longer to become tired on an exercycle than it does to run on a treadmill at a moderate speed (6-7.5mph).

As for what Rustler said about lifting on your legs, it can help build leg strength, but I found it was hurting my knees (even using reduced weight) to lift on my legs, so I just run for my legs/cardio and lift for stuff over my waist.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Swimming, rowing, and cross country skiing are probably the best workouts for you.

Biking isn't so good because it's easy to slack off down a hill, and to change to a really easy gear. So long as you're going hard the entire time, it's a great workout.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

Excellent response. :thumbsup:

Mix it up and keep things fresh. If you do the same thing day after day both body and mind wear out from it.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: OverVolt

Maybe if you only factor in distance. But if you go by elapsed time you can get a similar workout. You just can't putz along. 30 minutes of running will get you around 4 miles at a reasonable clip. It will also get you about 12 miles on a bike and burn a similar number of calories from the hustle.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: silverpig
Swimming, rowing, and cross country skiing are probably the best workouts for you.

Biking isn't so good because it's easy to slack off down a hill, and to change to a really easy gear. So long as you're going hard the entire time, it's a great workout.

The laws of physics say (assuming an out-and-back) you have to go up for every time you go down. :)

As long as you're pushing hard, biking makes for great HIIT. I live in a hilly area and speak from experience. You push hard up a hill, coast down, push up another, and so on. Gearing or not, any hill steep enough and/or long enough can get you working.

mrkun

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2005
As long as you're pushing hard, biking makes for great HIIT. I live in a hilly area and speak from experience. You push hard up a hill, coast down, push up another, and so on. Gearing or not, any hill steep enough and/or long enough can get you working.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
uh... its not about the distance or speed... think heart rate. the method (run vs swim) are methods to an end

to that end, swimming is the best. cycling is good because its nicer to your body (less damaging)

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
running better in the short time you need to do it, high heart rate. BAD for your joints

cycling...fun, good for your joints,....bad in time it takes.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
i think i have to switch to cycling. i've been trying to get back into shape, and jogging 3x a week. my legs can't take it for too long.. the upper half of my body wants to keep going though, heh.

I've been able to do it for the past ~2.5 weeks I think mainly because I'm on 1800mg/day of ibuprofen for TMJ :p I haven't taken anything the past day and and a half and my knees are starting to hate me. but the thought of 40 minutes of biking is daunting, esp since I'm not very consistent.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Running or Jogging will burn off a lot of calories though has a lot of impact on the knees.

Try an exercise bike with a good amount of resistance or try biking on a lot of elevated terrains.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Your body gets used to running after a few weeks. I enjoy biking more, but running is probably better for you.

opticalmace

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2003
Running is.

However, I enjoy biking, so I do that instead. Less of a workout, but I put in more hours because it's fun.