Running a car with no cat?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
I'm surprised there hasn't been an answer to the question yet.

Ripping out the cats yields greater flow; this helps high end RPM but destroys not only throttle response at low revs, but it also takes away a LOT of torque. Basically the car would have no pickup......kinda like a S2000, but that's different ;)
Anyhow, your best bet would be high flow cats, which do keep some backpressure, and that would keep your torque present, plus gain you a bit more HP.

It's always worth experimenting on though. Just replace the cat with a pipe that keeps your exhaust connected.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< Now in california they DO ROAD SIDE TESTS. Also If you are running straight pipes you will fall under the NOISE ordence. No Big deal if you don't get caught BUT IF YOU DO.... Mucho CASHOLA! >>

&quot;The beautiful thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.&quot;

Right now, some guy outside my window is revving his classic car w/o emissions and it's twice as loud as any rice boy with a horrific exhaust. And yet he doesn't get harrased by cops or anything. Consistent laws would be nice.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001

<<

&quot;The beautiful thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.&quot;

Right now, some guy outside my window is revving his classic car w/o emissions and it's twice as loud as any rice boy with a horrific exhaust. And yet he doesn't get harrased by cops or anything. Consistent laws would be nice.
>>

i know what you mean.. i see some cars that are factory loud as hell, and yet if you trick out your car to half as loud they bite your ass off..
stupid double standards..

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
Doesn't it bother you that there is smog in many cities? Doesn't it bother you that our ozone layer (which &quot;filters&quot; the sunlight so you don't get skin cancer) is being depleted? Doesn't it bother you that the whole damn environment is being ruined?

Btw, basically, you are doing the internal version of a riceburner. Taking a mediocre car and trying to get it &quot;fast&quot;- well ya know what, I sure as fvck don't think you are taking a stock accord (cept for taking out the cat) street racing, you would get your ass whooped. What is more important: 0.1 seconds off your 0-60 time or doing your part in helping to save the environment?

NOTE: I'm not a tree-hugger, I'm a realist.

By the way, what do you think the gov't is going to do? Make all emissions laws and standards retroactive from 1920 and later? Nice logic ya got there, chief.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< Doesn't it bother you that there is smog in many cities? >>

Actually it does. Hell I live in LA where the smog gets so bad that some days I completely can't see the mountains that are less than 5 miles away from where I live. But even w/o emissions, a new car is still cleaner than a semi or a classic car.

<< Doesn't it bother you that our ozone layer (which &quot;filters&quot; the sunlight so you don't get skin cancer) is being depleted >>

Damn hippies who don't know what they are talking about. Car emissions don't destroy the ozone layer. CFCs do. In fact, car emissions actually CREATE ozone, but just not in the place you want it.

<< Taking a mediocre car and trying to get it &quot;fast&quot;- well ya know what, I sure as fvck don't think you are taking a stock accord (cept for taking out the cat) street racing, you would get your ass whooped. >>

Who said anything about street racing? I sure as hell didn't. Where I live, if you don't merge up to 85 right away when you get on the freeway, you get run over. Free, extra merging power is always nice.

<< What is more important: 0.1 seconds off your 0-60 time or doing your part in helping to save the environment? >>

Well, except that even if I drove a new car for my whole life, any part I had in reducing emissions over my entire lifetime was instantly erased by a guy driving his muscle car for a week.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001

<< Doesn't it bother you that there is smog in many cities? Doesn't it bother you that our ozone layer (which &quot;filters&quot; the sunlight so you don't get skin cancer) is being depleted? Doesn't it bother you that the whole damn environment is being ruined? >>

in saskatchewan there isnt smog.. :p:p

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000

<<

<< Doesn't it bother you that there is smog in many cities? Doesn't it bother you that our ozone layer (which &quot;filters&quot; the sunlight so you don't get skin cancer) is being depleted? Doesn't it bother you that the whole damn environment is being ruined? >>

in saskatchewan there isnt smog.. :p:p
>>

Well hot damn. Road trip. I'll solve that problem all by my myself!

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
I read somewhere that it takes more energy to make a new car than a car ever uses on the road. That means that old gas guzzlers are really more energy efficient than anything produced today. Wierd. Don't know if it's true though.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< I read somewhere that it takes more energy to make a new car than a car ever uses on the road. That means that old gas guzzlers are really more energy efficient than anything produced today. >>

Well, even if that were true, more energy efficient doesn't mean less polluting. Burning fuel in a power plant is alot less polluting than burning it in a muscle car because of federal regulations on power plants these days. To use an extreme example, solar energy is completely non polluting so from an enviromental POV, no one would really care how much solar electricity you use because it doesn't pollute at all.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< Nice logic ya got there, chief. >>

heh as opposed to yours, supporting a set of regulations where people can keep driving semis that pollute more in a month than I will in my entire life.

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999

<< Damn hippies who don't know what they are talking about. Car emissions don't destroy the ozone layer. CFCs do. In fact, car emissions actually CREATE ozone, but just not in the place you want it. >>

Your car emits carbon dioxide, the main CFC. You can't really call a low level toxic cloud (smog) ozone.

By the way, a semi is carrying a whole lotta stuff, of course it needs a bigger, badder, nastier engine! Do you want a Chevy Tracker to transport goods?!

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Dear zippy,

You are a moron. Please go back to school and take HS chemistry. Or are you not in HS yet? At any rate, this is why you are a moron;

<< Your car emits carbon dioxide, the main CFC. >>

What are CFCs

&quot;CFCs are chlorofluorocarbons. They are a family of chemicals containing Chlorines and fluroines and used as refrigerants, and in the manufacture of many products from foam insulation to computer chips.&quot;

As opposed to;

What is CO2

&quot;It does not burn, and under normal conditions it is stable, inert and nontoxic. &quot;

Which means it cannot react with and destroy ozone. Which means you are wrong.

Also, you are wrong again, on a third point.

<< You can't really call a low level toxic cloud (smog) ozone. >>

Smog and ozone

&quot;Ground-level ozone (sometimes called smog) is formed from automobile, industrial and other pollutants by chemical reactions when there is bright sunshine with high temperatures.&quot;

I am sorry that you are wrong. In conclusion, please go back to school, or take HS chemistry when you get to HS.

Sincerely,

OuterSquare

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
No matter if you agree with current emissions laws or whatever (the laws are fair about old vs. new emissions so quit whining) its a bad idea. You probably won't loose enough backpressure to really hurt you but your car might set an error code or run poorly. I know many new cars have both an oxygen sensor before the cat and one after. If they both read the same to the computer, it sets an error code and might go into limp home mode.

That said I run a car from the late 80's with no cat and I'd challenge you to test my car and show it over emissions regulations. Of course since I live in illinois I don't have to worry about going in for inspection.

So like I said you could try it, but you won't gain much and might just make the computer freak out a bit.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< That said I run a car from the late 80's with no cat and I'd challenge you to test my car and show it over emissions regulations. >>

I'm sure that it passes emissions regulations, but that's my beef is that the regulations are kind of messed up. I just want the same polluting privleges that muscle car owners have :D

At any rate, everyone can go home now, it was a hypothetical and seeing how CA is run by inconsistent environmental nazis, I doubt I will ever bother.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000

<< I just want the same polluting privleges that muscle car owners have >>

You will when your car is 20 years old or however CA requires for exemption. First, would you sentence these pieces of american history to death because the %.5 of the automotive population they make up can't cut the mustard? Should we just let everything belch all over then? You've gotta remember most of these cars are gonna be in tine and running pretty clean if they're lasted this long. Having the laws the same for both is a ridiculous concept even.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< Yup and I just told you why you were whining. >>

Ugh, whatever, it's kind of apparent that you didn't READ everything I wrote, but I don't really care.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Great, so we'll just keep around a dozen inconsistent standards for emissions, a system where people can keep a car that puts out hundreds of times more pollutants than a new car

Kinda like Win9x isn't it. :)

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
Excuse me, my mistake, I meant greenhouse gas. I can't seem to remember exactly how CO2 breaks apart in the atmosphere (I wish I had this textbook on the atmosphere that I like), but it results in global warming.

I'm very sorry, I didn't mean CFC, just a mistake, hey, we all make 'em. ;)

&quot;Ground-level ozone (sometimes called smog) is formed from automobile, industrial and other pollutants by chemical reactions when there is bright sunshine with high temperatures.&quot; >>

It is toxic, that is why when the smog is really bad, many cities require/highly recommend that people stay INDOORS. And it is ozone used in a very liberal sense. It is saying that it is filtering the sunlight (such as UV rays), well of course it is doing that, it's basically a huge cloud of pollutants that barely lets sunlight through.

<< I just want the same polluting privleges that muscle car owners have >>

So you like to pollute? Okay...

<< At any rate, everyone can go home now, it was a hypothetical and seeing how CA is run by inconsistent environmental nazis, I doubt I will ever bother. >>

Grow up.

pulpp

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
how about we run your ass without a rectum? i am sure you will be burning food much more effciently then as you squirt sh!t.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Are you planning to drive your car only on the weekends and only during the summer like most people with classics/muscle cars?