Running a car with no cat?

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Since engines are more powerful when unhindered by hippy inspired emission controls ;), why not just rip the catalytic converter off a car completely and only reattach it for smog checks?

I kind of want to get like a new V6 accord coupe, rip off the cat and get an ECU that damns any smog considerations :D Or I suppose do the same with an RSX, either will work ;)

rawko

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2000
I believe it might actually hurt performance. I've heard that somehow the backpressure created by the cat converter helps it somewhat, so eliminating it might loose power.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
completely unfounded answer: I have heard yanking 2 of the 3 cats off of the Soobie WRX will bring it up to just a hair under 300 HP.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< it is illegal to do that you know. >>

You know what? I don't give a sh!t. Laws don't represent morality.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< I believe it might actually hurt performance. I've heard that somehow the backpressure created by the cat converter helps it somewhat, so eliminating it might loose power. >>

I thought back in the day of SAE gross HP ratings, they'd run engines on just a bench w/o restrictions on intake/exhaust and the engines would actually put out more hp than when installed in a car. Are modern engines different?

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
[I}<< it is illegal to do that you know. >>

You know what? I don't give a sh!t. Laws don't represent morality. [/i]

You might give a sh!t if you can't pass your bi-yearly emissions test. (if your state/province has them.) Then they charge you to put all that stuff BACK ON. :D

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< You might give a sh!t if you can't pass your bi-yearly emissions test. (if your state/province has them.) Then they charge you to put all that stuff BACK ON. >>

That's why I said put it all back on before the smog test :p

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Putting flanges on your cat and replacing it with a straight pipe when racing is a common mod. Then you put the cat back on when inspection time comes up.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< Putting flanges on your cat and replacing it with a straight pipe when racing is a common mod. Then you put the cat back on when inspection time comes up. >>

I see, so what about the ECU? Do they swap out the stock one for an &quot;emissions be damned&quot; unit?

Feb 10, 2000
This is ridiculous. If you want a performance car, buy one. An Accord coupe, with or without catalytic converter, is an automatic-equipped comfort cruiser, not a sports car. I owned a V-6 Accord for a while and there was nothing sporty about it.

The laws requiring catalytic converters are for all of our benefit, as they eliminate highly toxic gases from release - if you want to remove them be smart and keep it to yourself.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
just rip out everything under the hood and stick in a carbeurated small block V8 (chevy) and a manual transmission

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< This is ridiculous. If you want a performance car, buy one. An Accord coupe, with or without catalytic converter, is an automatic-equipped comfort cruiser, not a sports car. I owned a V-6 Accord for a while and there was nothing sporty about it. >>

Why does it matter to you what I do with a car half a country away from you?

<< The laws requiring catalytic converters are for all of our benefit, as they eliminate highly toxic gases from release - if you want to remove them be smart and keep it to yourself. >>

Riiight, classic cars have jack sh!t for emissions. Go tell them what you just told me.

<< just rip out everything under the hood and stick in a carbeurated small block V8 (chevy) and a manual transmission >>

LOL, actually that's a legit way to get around emissions.

Feb 10, 2000

<< The laws requiring catalytic converters are for all of our benefit, as they eliminate highly toxic gases from release - if you want to remove them be smart and keep it to yourself.

Riiight, classic cars have jack sh!t for emissions. Go tell them what you just told me.
>>

Classic cars are grandfathered in - this is the same reason they do not need shoulder belts or air bags.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< Classic cars are grandfathered in - this is the same reason they do not need shoulder belts or air bags. >>

Exactly, there is no logical consistency about our laws. If the gases were really that toxic, legislators wouldn't allow them to be driven around anymore.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001

<<

<< Classic cars are grandfathered in - this is the same reason they do not need shoulder belts or air bags. >>

Exactly, there is no logical consistency about our laws. If the gases were really that toxic, legislators wouldn't allow them to be driven around anymore.
>>

theyre letting them die out.. they cant make the poor people in their welfare-mobile buy a new car..

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< theyre letting them die out.. they cant make the poor people in their welfare-mobile buy a new car.. >>

Although I agree with the reasoning, then how come there isn't an income exemption?

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001

<<

<< theyre letting them die out.. they cant make the poor people in their welfare-mobile buy a new car.. >>

Although I agree with the reasoning, then how come there isn't an income exemption?
>>

did you really expect for the govn't to come up with an idea like that? they're too stupid.. and the rich and middle class would bitch about it as well..

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< did you really expect for the govn't to come up with an idea like that? they're too stupid.. and the rich and middle class would bitch about it as well.. >>

Great, so we'll just keep around a dozen inconsistent standards for emissions, a system where people can keep a car that puts out hundreds of times more pollutants than a new car.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001

<<

<< did you really expect for the govn't to come up with an idea like that? they're too stupid.. and the rich and middle class would bitch about it as well.. >>

Great, so we'll just keep around a dozen inconsistent standards for emissions, a system where people can keep a car that puts out hundreds of times more pollutants than a new car.
>>

yup, i don't like it, but i can't do much about it...
WANNA START A REVOLUTION? :D:p:D:p

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< yup, i don't like it, but i can't do much about it... >>

<< WANNA START A REVOLUTION? :D:p:D:p >>

hahaha, yeah it just strikes me as a hideously messed up system. Hell supposedly semis put out more emissions than thousands of new cars! I mean, freaking lawnmowers and weed trimmers put out more crap than new cars, and yet the government seems so hell bent on screwing new car buyers/owners while ignoring nearly every truly serious source of pollutants.

Even if you completely ripped the emissions control out of a new car, it'd still be cleaner than those old muscle cars. But people can keep those as many of those as long as they want? WTF? I'm just asking for some consistency, that's all. It doesn't have to perfectly equal, but man that's incredibly messed up that legislation works in such a way that one car can put out hundreds of times more emissions than another.

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
Accually The law in California is the Car must have all original emmision control equiptment. With the smog in LA and even San DIego this is a good deal. THe current Federal for new cars is Just as strict as CA. The $100 is for CAL CERT. A fee the man. Pays the state.

Now in california they DO ROAD SIDE TESTS. Also If you are running straight pipes you will fall under the NOISE ordence. No Big deal if you don't get caught BUT IF YOU DO.... Mucho CASHOLA!

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001

<< Accually The law in California is the Car must have all original emmision control equiptment. With the smog in LA and even San DIego this is a good deal. THe current Federal for new cars is Just as strict as CA. The $100 is for CAL CERT. A fee the man. Pays the state.

Now in california they DO ROAD SIDE TESTS. Also If you are running straight pipes you will fall under the NOISE ordence. No Big deal if you don't get caught BUT IF YOU DO.... Mucho CASHOLA!
>>

what if you come from out of state (say canada in my situation) and they test your car? you still gotta pay?