[Rumor, Tweaktown] AMD to launch next-gen Navi graphics cards at E3

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
New TechPowerUp 2019 GPU testing
GeForce RTX 2070 is a lot faster than I remembered; it is 90.5% of Radeon VII and 117.5% of GeForce GTX 1080
relative-performance_2560-1440.png

Faster than GeForce RTX 2070 would put Navi equaling/almost touching Radeon VII

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
Definitely hard to justify spending $400 period if you are a casual gamer. That doesn't mean the rumored cards are disappointing. It's more the lack of a $250-350 card that you're lamenting? At this point, why get worried? nVidia didn't release the 1660ti until quite a while after their higher end cards. That's fairly par-for-the-course.

I'd anticipate that they'll fill in the $299 price point. The 1660ti needs a competitor. You may not get it until later this year, but it'll come.

The 1660ti and 2060 pricing is a joke. I was hoping for (somewhat) returned sanity to the midrange, or "midrange-highend" (i.e. 2070 performance, which is the third tier down), however the leaks appear to validate that the horrible pricing is here to stay.

tajoh111

Mar 28, 2005
Indeed. Also they're aiming at the price of a product that's already been on the market for . . . awhile. Such a pricing scheme says to me, "We would rather fight to keep prices high than fight to take market share". For the consumer, that is bad.

As I said earlier, the pattern of AMD prices resemble that of someone attempting to fix prices by keeping prices elevated.

The RX580 and RX590 launch were good demonstrations of this.

Typically AMD has launched their rebadges at significantly cheaper prices and faster than the predecessors.

However this time around the RX 580 was essentially the same starting price as the RX 480(10 dollars less) and the RX 590 was simply stupidly priced coming at a significantly higher msrp than the 2.5 year old Polaris.

Usually prices drop over time because better yields due a maturing manufacturing process. We saw this with every release from AMD and Nvidia. Rebadges come cheaper and faster. It was different this generation.

What these releases did was help sustain elevated pricing from both companies. They would normally be poor sellers but mining happened two months after the rx580 launch(just prior to the rx580 launch, rx 480s could be found for 150).

The Rx590 is even more proof of this. Mining was dead by the time it was launched and normally a card that is a 3rd rebadge would come in much cheaper than the RX 480. But instead we got a card 11% faster than a RX 580 for 22% more money. This allowed the RX580 pricing to stay relatively high.

On top of this we see Nvidia not stepping on AMD toes at all until the launch of the gtx 1660 ti which was a much later launch. That is they did not launch anything like the GTX 970 or 1070 for that matter, and hurt AMD margins that much which they normally would do.

It's just so strange how sustained pricing was this generation where prices drops usually happen a year later after the launch of the card. This generation they only happened when the launch of new architectures occured which was 2.5 years later. Mining helped sustain prices but it has been dead for almost a year now and used card have flooded the market for a while now.

If AMD is going to charge $400/$500 for a 200mm2 die(which is equivalent to polaris 10 in terms of product stack), it just seems extraordinarily greedy to the extent 1000/1200 RTX 2080 ti seem well priced. Considering AMD is the underdog and would normally price their cards better(and don't have the HBM2 excuse), this seems like price fixing because both companies are mutually benefiting(particularly after Nvidia raises their price again) and don't seem to be competing with one another in a manner that benefits the consumer.

However, I would not take this rumor at 100% face value.

Knowing AMD viral marketing department, this could a false rumor to make an actual price of 350-400 dollars look good.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Disappointing if latest pricing/performance leaks turn out to be true. As a casual gamer it's hard to justify paying $400 for 2060/2070 performance. The elusive reasonable middle is still MIA.

Gonna have to agree with that. A card that beats the 2060 for sub-$300 prices would be a much-more welcome addition to the market, and would introduce competition in an underserved market range. No need to fight over the $400 price-point instead.

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
Vega 64 currently costs $399 and (if the sapphire article is correct) it will be replaced at that price point by Navi Pro. That means Navi Pro needs to be faster and/or be more power efficient than Vega 64 otherwise it is a waste of time. Why spend all that money developing it if it isn’t any better than what you already have? Based on that we can assume it’s faster and drastically more power efficient. How much faster is yet to be seen. I say drastically more power efficient because it’s 7nm and no longer using HBM2 memory, not to mention all the time they’ve had to work on it and to get it right.

Still, I expected better pricing. To charge equivalent prices as Nvidia, AMD must provide performance, feature, and power efficiency parity. The RTX line has Ray Tracing while the “mainstream” rumors all say Navi 10 will not, so right off AMD lacks feature parity. That means for the same price Navi must be faster and/or more power efficient, or equal performance/efficiency for cheaper price.

Vega and Radeon VII have expensive HBM2 memory so their cost is somewhat justified. Navi is using GDDR6 which is not as cheap as GDDR5, but is it as expensive as HBM2?

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Vega 64 currently costs $399 and (if the sapphire article is correct) it will be replaced at that price point by Navi Pro. That means Navi Pro needs to be faster and/or be more power efficient than Vega 64 otherwise it is a waste of time./QUOTE]
What is Navi Pro is RTX 2060 competitor, with RTX 2070 performance, and Navi XT is faster than RTX 2070? ;)

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Not just that but also repartitioning the CUs from 4 x 16-wide vectors to 2 x 32-wide vectors. For reference, nVidia uses a warp size of 32.

GCN-CUTh.png
You have Turing structure anywhere on hand to post? Would be interested in proper diagrams.

Also, it may not entirely be 2x32 Vector Wide, but rather 2x16x2. With Navi it genuinely appears it is both: Maxwell(Architecture) and Pascal(process) in one go, hence the jump in perfomance efficiency. Less cores do more work.

Mar 11, 2004
As I said earlier, the pattern of AMD prices resemble that of someone attempting to fix prices by keeping prices elevated.

Typically AMD has launched their rebadges at significantly cheaper prices and faster than the predecessors.

However this time around the RX 580 was essentially the same starting price as the RX 480(10 dollars less) and the RX 590 was simply stupidly priced coming at a significantly higher msrp than the 2.5 year old Polaris.

Usually prices drop over time because better yields due a maturing manufacturing process. We saw this with every release from AMD and Nvidia. Rebadges come cheaper and faster. It was different this generation.

What these releases did was help sustain elevated pricing from both companies. They would normally be poor sellers but mining happened two months after the rx580 launch(just prior to the rx580 launch, rx 480s could be found for 150).

The Rx590 is even more proof of this. Mining was dead by the time it was launched and normally a card that is a 3rd rebadge would come in much cheaper than the RX 480. But instead we got a card 11% faster than a RX 580 for 22% more money. This allowed the RX580 pricing to stay relatively high.

On top of this we see Nvidia not stepping on AMD toes at all until the launch of the gtx 1660 ti which was a much later launch. That is they did not launch anything like the GTX 970 or 1070 for that matter, and hurt AMD margins that much which they normally would do.

It's just so strange how sustained pricing was this generation where prices drops usually happen a year later after the launch of the card. This generation they only happened when the launch of new architectures occured which was 2.5 years later. Mining helped sustain prices but it has been dead for almost a year now and used card have flooded the market for a while now.

If AMD is going to charge $400/$500 for a 200mm2 die(which is equivalent to polaris 10 in terms of product stack), it just seems extraordinarily greedy to the extent 1000/1200 RTX 2080 ti seem well priced. Considering AMD is the underdog and would normally price their cards better(and don't have the HBM2 excuse), this seems like price fixing because both companies are mutually benefiting(particularly after Nvidia raises their price again) and don't seem to be competing with one another in a manner that benefits the consumer.

Knowing AMD viral marketing department, this could a false rumor to make an actual price of 350-400 dollars look good.

How does that make any sense? Only way you could get away with that is if you had a very dominant position. Not even Nvidia has been able to do that, so no clue why you think AMD is.

Frankly it just sounds like market value. If anything it seems to suggest a move back to what was fairly common market prices (product stack of 2-3 basic dice covering $150-~$400-500 range).

They were still selling, so AMD had no reason to drop prices. Plus, while the 200 series launched at a higher price, they dropped sharply, and then the 300 series saw a significantly higher price than the 200 series at its launch.

And when the market is buying up all the GPUs it can, companies are not going to drop prices.

Plus that's just MSRP. Look at actual prices (570s going for not much more than $100).

I think its simple. Nvidia priced high (and has been for some time, and people have been paying their prices so they're obviously not going to drop, the market is showing these prices are apparently sustainable). AMD thus had less pressure to drop prices, but even then if you look at actual pricing you'll see AMD's stuff (when mining has died off) are drastically lower than MSRP.

I'm not following your logic there. Again, its about the market. If Navi performs well enough why wouldn't it go for those prices? Die size is not a good way to base things, as costs of newer processes are going up and up and up, so its possible that Navi might cost as much or even more than Nvidia's 2070 and below chips. It'll depend on price for the performance.

What I think we're seeing is AMD coming to the realization that pricing cheap in the market might have been hurting its brand with general consumers. Now they can have their cake and eat it too, where they have MSRP in line with the market (as in closer to NVidia), but can let actual pricing be lower.

AMD viral marketing? You should really consider things before you throw such terms around on here. Heck, why would they have seeded the $249 price so much if there was any possibility of them charging double that?

I've said for some time that if Navi is Vega 64/1080 + 15% then it'll probably be closer to $400, unless AMD is trying to gain marketshare in a huge way (which they have done before so its a possibility, but I was skeptical that it'd be $249 if it lives up to the performance; if Polaris had been +15% over 980 at launch it would've probably been $329, I believe it was roughly inline with the 970 - which was I think $259 MSRP at that time - at launch but improved some and closer to the 980 over time). Pricing low could hurt AMD, and I think, especially early on, there's little reason to price low. Makes much more sense to price fairly high, and then when Nvidia rolls out their 7nm stuff drop prices aggressively. If performance is there, (and its more efficient and has other worthwhile features), AMD will likely sell all the Navi they can at $400 as much as they would at $249. But if they start high, they can undercut Nvidia some, while touting performance and 7nm (if that means anything, hopefully it will mean significant gains for them in efficiency), and then they can either drop prices over time (to keep Navi fresh in consumers minds, say every 3 months they announce a $25-50 price drop, so say it starts at $400, then it'd go $350 holiday season with probably some deals like Black Friday being lower, then Feb they announce $299, then when Nvidia rolls out their 7nm stuff probably next spring its down to $249 and they could probably even drop to $199 by then; or if it starts at more like $329, then they'd probably drop it $30 so for holiday season it'd go $299).

I expect it'll be more in line with the 7900 launch, go high, then drop prices aggressively as necessary (small price drop for holiday season if they have the production to support it and sales had already stabilize, then when 7nm Nvidia stuff is announced or launched, drop aggressively - probably to the rumored pricing of the $249).

I've said this before (more than once I believe) and it bears repeating. The costs of developing and manufacturing new GPUs are such that prices are going to be higher. There are other factors at play as well, but the costs alone mean that prices are almost absolutely going to increase each generation. The only way this is going to change is either via some breakthrough in manufacturing processes driving costs down, or changes to GPUs (which we're starting to see, who was it showing off a "visual processing unit" or something that was capable of doing image processing more efficiently than a GPU, and of course the specialized AI chips with tensor cores and the like, and then with ray-tracing we'll likely see another, so GPUs in the future might be more made up of like 3-4 specialized chips, and probably will emulate older hardware through software). As consumers, it stinks, but its just realities. I think that is going to be one of the main reasons that streaming will take off sooner than later, as it'll substantially readjust pricing for consumers.

Mar 11, 2004
Definitely hard to justify spending $400 period if you are a casual gamer. That doesn't mean the rumored cards are disappointing. It's more the lack of a $250-350 card that you're lamenting? At this point, why get worried? nVidia didn't release the 1660ti until quite a while after their higher end cards. That's fairly par-for-the-course.

I'd anticipate that they'll fill in the $299 price point. The 1660ti needs a competitor. You may not get it until later this year, but it'll come.

Casual gamers generally only upgrade when they need to, or would be more likely to be console gamers. At this point actually they're smartphone gamers so they wouldn't even be thinking about a $400 video card.

If I didn't have an actual use for it (as in if gaming was my top priority still), I'd be waiting for next gen consoles and not even worry about PC side stuff at all. I'd probably get a Switch to hold me over til then. There's a decent chance we'll see good backwards compatibility and/or lots of ports/remasters of current gen games on the next systems, so anything I missed I'd likely be able to play on them (while waiting on games to take advantage of the next gen systems).

Honestly, if Microsoft allows people to put a standard Windows 10 install on the next Xbox (or Sony allows Linux again), I might would even just use the next consoles as my normal PC (and for anything real stringent, would look into leasing server time from Amazon or others).

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
You have Turing structure anywhere on hand to post? Would be interested in proper diagrams.

Also, it may not entirely be 2x32 Vector Wide, but rather 2x16x2. With Navi it genuinely appears it is both: Maxwell(Architecture) and Pascal(process) in one go, hence the jump in perfomance efficiency. Less cores do more work.
Nvidia's CUDA documentation has the warp size locked at 32 threads/warp. I believe Turing's SMs are the same as Volta's where there's dedicated INT units in addition to the FP units in each SM.

EDIT: If the rumors are true about the 2560 SP Navi part matching an RTX 2070 (which has 2304 CUDA cores), then at similar clocks you may well be right about Navi being AMD's Maxwell.

See here:
CUDA Compute Capability
Volta Whitepaper
Turing Whitepaper

Look at Table 14 of the CUDA documentation.

Last edited:

JDG1980

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2013
AMD is probably losing money at $399. Same thing happened with Fiji.

I don't believe they would continue selling it if they're losing money. It's possible that Vega 10 was a money-losing proposition as a whole when you consider development costs, but if they were actually losing $$$ on each incremental unit, why not just stop doing that?

Reactions: kawi6rr

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I don't believe they would continue selling it if they're losing money. It's possible that Vega 10 was a money-losing proposition as a whole when you consider development costs, but if they were actually losing $$$ on each incremental unit, why not just stop doing that?

I imagine they stopped Vega production a long time ago.

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014

Well its family business after all:D HUANG is LISA SU uncle.They price fixing since 390/390x launch.That was last time amd launched GPU at lower price than NV.
I still hope 400-500USD is just bad rumor.But if true..well RIP pc gaming.
42c87cb718a001e3cea519a45489bf932e41d454a56cd6f816af284e1a406fb0.jpg

Last edited:

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Her Wikipedia page has been updated since that article:

Su and Nvidia's co-founder and CEO Jen-Hsun Huang are said to be cousins,[37] but she dismissed it as "not true"

The internet is a fun place.

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
Of course she will tell its not true;) but they price fixing /duopoly since 390/390x anyway.
A duopoly is a situation where two companies own all, or nearly all, of the market for a given product or service. A duopoly is the most basic form of oligopoly, a market dominated by a small number of companies. A duopoly can have the same impact on the market as a monopoly if the two players collude on prices or output. Collusion results in consumers paying higher prices than they would in a truly competitive market, and it is illegal under U.S. Antitrust law.
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/duopoly.asp

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Of course she will tell its not true;) but they price fixing /duopoly since 390/390x anyway.

The 390(x) in fact marked a change in AMDs GPU pricing. And more interestingly x86 is even more a duopoly than GPU. So why are the seem to be price-fixing in GPU space and in x86 they are clearly undercutting intel? Especially since IMHO Zen+ is closer to intel than gcn currently is to turing (and this ignores the difference on software side..CUDA...). So form a pure market value standpoint AMDs gpus should be the ones "on discount" not their CPUs.

With NAVI 7nm I think supply will be an issue as well. Why sell for $249 when you can only produce as much that the will probably sell out at $399?

EDIT:

Completely different topic: Radeon VII is on a temporary sale here ($130 cheaper than normal, still about $700) but only 19 have been sold if you believe the stores numbers. Anyway that hints they are selling poorly and something new will come soon

Reactions: coercitiv

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
The 390(x) in fact marked a change in AMDs GPU pricing. And more interestingly x86 is even more a duopoly than GPU. So why are the seem to be price-fixing in GPU space and in x86 they are clearly undercutting intel? Especially since IMHO Zen+ is closer to intel than gcn currently is to turing (and this ignores the difference on software side..CUDA...). So form a pure market value standpoint AMDs gpus should be the ones "on discount" not their CPUs.

With NAVI 7nm I think supply will be an issue as well. Why sell for $249 when you can only produce as much that the will probably sell out at $399?

EDIT:

Completely different topic: Radeon VII is on a temporary sale here ($130 cheaper than normal, still about $700) but only 19 have been sold if you believe the stores numbers. Anyway that hints they are selling poorly and something new will come soon
Yes they undercuting intel so its not duopoly its competition(and pretty good).But they didint undercut nv since 390/390x at launch so there is duopoly/price fixing in gpu space.
If you dont undercut competition since 2015(and you are underdog, almost always 1-2years late with worse power consuption) you dont compete its duopoly/price fixing simple as that.

Edit polaris/vega are now cheap, but its because mining and not because AMD lowered prices.AIBs have oversupply after mining and they just trying get rid of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.