[Rumor, Tweaktown] AMD to launch next-gen Navi graphics cards at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65560/amd-launch-next-gen-navi-graphics-cards-e3-2019/index.html

The full launch for Navi will be on 7/7 which has been previously rumored, as AMD will be using the number 7 considerably over the coming months since it is the first company to 7nm with CPUs and GPUs and it plans to capitlize on that. It makes total sense and anyone that looks at the situation would agree AMD would be stupid not to use the 7 card throughout its Zen 2 and Navi architectures both deploying on 7nm.

As for performance I've heard that we are looking at it easily beating the Radeon RX Vega 64 and coming close to the RTX 2080.

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
Last thing amd need is another hype train article.Rtx 2080 performance and post GCN yeah sure:rolleyes: Only thing that make sense in that article is launch date:)
vg74pV.gif

Reactions: Olikan

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Radeon VII ~ GeForce RTX 2080: 2019-02-07
Navi top-end ~ GeForce RTX 2080: 2019-07-07
??

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
IF the rumor is true, I would expect it to like 1080+10% or slightly more and matching 2080 in a couple corner case games (e.g. Strange Brigade). That would put it a decent bit ahead of Vega64 but still behind Radeon VII.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Mistake to use Radeon VII as a reference point as to pricing and performance for the gaming market. To do so is to believe an unanticipated market opportunity drives longer range strategy.

Guru

May 5, 2017
I'm 99.9% sure that Navi is a complete series, from low end to high end. I don't think they are doing a Polaris and Vega again. They did that as they knew they were behind with the high end decided to focus on low to mid range in order to gain marketshare and they did. They actually crawled back I think up to 5% marketshare from Nvidia just with Polaris.

Vega was unfortunately underwhelming, but it was a dual purpose card, it had its moments in the professional market.

I think Navi is going to have high end graphic card that is going to be faster than the RTX 2080. Will they have a 2080ti challenger and possibly killer? That is questionable, but I think they can easily beat the Radeon 7. Its based on their Vega architecture, which wasn't very efficient gaming wise, Navi is purely gaming focused, its been in development for over 2 years, I think 3 years by summer this year, so I think we'll get to see a full range of products, competing with pretty much all of Nvidia offerings.

I think the Navi GPU's will be about 10% faster than their Nvidia competitors. So I expect a RX 3060 at $220 and 10% faster, RX 3060PRO at $280 and 10% faster, RX3070 at $350 and 10% faster, RX 3080 at $500 and 10% faster, etc...

Reactions: happy medium

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
I'm 99.9% sure that Navi is a complete series, from low end to high end. I don't think they are doing a Polaris and Vega again. They did that as they knew they were behind with the high end decided to focus on low to mid range in order to gain marketshare and they did. They actually crawled back I think up to 5% marketshare from Nvidia just with Polaris.

Vega was unfortunately underwhelming, but it was a dual purpose card, it had its moments in the professional market.

I think Navi is going to have high end graphic card that is going to be faster than the RTX 2080. Will they have a 2080ti challenger and possibly killer? That is questionable, but I think they can easily beat the Radeon 7. Its based on their Vega architecture, which wasn't very efficient gaming wise, Navi is purely gaming focused, its been in development for over 2 years, I think 3 years by summer this year, so I think we'll get to see a full range of products, competing with pretty much all of Nvidia offerings.

I think the Navi GPU's will be about 10% faster than their Nvidia competitors. So I expect a RX 3060 at $220 and 10% faster, RX 3060PRO at $280 and 10% faster, RX3070 at $350 and 10% faster, RX 3080 at $500 and 10% faster, etc...

It is total waste of engineering effort to make purely gaming focused big die GPU.

Reactions: deathBOB

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011

Where does the idea that Navi is a pure gaming card come from?

My prediction, $100-$300 market exclusively in 2019, with potentially higher end cards in mid 2020. I'll be extremely surprised to see AMD go after anything much above a 2060 performance level.

There seems to be a building amount of hopium surrounding Navi and we have next to no information about it, I'm not going to get my hopes up for anything but affordable entry to mid range GPUs.

Reactions: Auer and JasonLD

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I keep thinking of the old pre-branch prediction CPUs. Repeat the loop until tested false.

The GPU market will repeat always as is.
A big change happens and we enter a new loop.
No attempt at prediction, even if wrong sometimes.

Guru

May 5, 2017
It is total waste of engineering effort to make purely gaming focused big die GPU.
Where did the big dies come from? I think AMD's die size will be smaller compared to Nvidia's direct competition, since RTX does use additional area for RTX, on top of it being big gpu's.

In terms of professional markets, AMD already have Vega to work with, in fact unless you've been living under a rock, Radeon 7 is actually a cut down MI60 GPU, repurposed for the desktop market, as I'm sure they are cutting down on their inventory. To inform you, but Mi50 and MI60 released in December of last year, so they are really fresh professional solutions.

Navi is the gaming solution, if you believe it's only low to mid range, that then confirms it is NOT professional level, because what is the point of a crappier MI50? They already sell their W9000 series which are Polaris based anyways.

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
Where did the big dies come from? I think AMD's die size will be smaller compared to Nvidia's direct competition, since RTX does use additional area for RTX, on top of it being big gpu's.

In terms of professional markets, AMD already have Vega to work with, in fact unless you've been living under a rock, Radeon 7 is actually a cut down MI60 GPU, repurposed for the desktop market, as I'm sure they are cutting down on their inventory. To inform you, but Mi50 and MI60 released in December of last year, so they are really fresh professional solutions.

Navi is the gaming solution, if you believe it's only low to mid range, that then confirms it is NOT professional level, because what is the point of a crappier MI50? They already sell their W9000 series which are Polaris based anyways.

I don't expect AMD to come out with Navi bigger than 250mm2, and I don't think it will be able to reach the performance level of 2080/Radeon 7. Especially with the price range Navi is rumored to be aimed at. They will probably address the high end segment with Arcturus with some cut down dies next year.

Reactions: ozzy702

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
The prices tell you what the performance is going to be. If it is $250 it will have 1660Ti performance.

Reactions: amenx

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Probably just so they can stop selling vega 56 at a massive loss to compete with 1660 series.

A bit cynical, but seems probable. I expect Navi10 to sit somewhere between Vega56 and Vega64. If it beats Vega64 then I will be impressed (and surprised).

@Head1985

Who's the guy outrunning the hype train?!? He's kinda bad-ass.

Reactions: Olikan

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
I expect Navi10 to be greater than 35% faster of these;
- AMD Radeon Pro Vega 20
- AMD Radeon Pro Vega 16

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Well I forgot trains can run in reverse also.
I have high hopes that it is 20 Super CUs with 160 Core vALUs. That way Navi20 is just 20 Elite Super CUs with 160 Core vALUs(SoftRasterization-optimized ALUs) + 80 Side vALUs(SoftRaytracing-optimized ALUs).

Vega-M(20/24) -> Vega 12(16/20) -> Navi10

So, it might be a huge deal.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Why do people keep thinking that Radeon VII will stay as the top performing card? This is ludicrous. Why on earth would AMD purposely hold back their latest and greatest card just so that a low production stop gap can stay as the top card?

Oh, and I expect mid range cards to launch first. Top tier may be announced as well, but for later availability.

Krteq

May 22, 2015
o_O Navi with RayTracing support?
Cerny confirmed that the PlayStation 5 will be based on AMD hardware once again. The CPU will be 3rd generation Ryzen, while the GPU will be based on AMD’s upcoming Radeon Navi architecture. The new console will apparently support ray tracing, in addition to new 3D audio technology, which is baked into the CPU architecture itself...
KitGuru - Sony reveals first details on PlayStation 5 hardware specifications

The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments...

...The AMD chip also includes a custom unit for 3D audio that Cerny thinks will redefine what sound can do in a videogame [RadeonRays obviously]
Wired.com - EXCLUSIVE: WHAT TO EXPECT FROM SONY'S NEXT-GEN PLAYSTATION

Krteq

May 22, 2015
Yeah, there is even not mentioned which technique will be used... BVH traversal/intersection? Sparse Voxel Octree Cone-Tracing? .... Everything can be done on current HW, qustion is how fast :)

Volta can run BVH traversal/intersection quite fast, but Turing have larger registers, LDS, caches etc. so it can be faster with more rays/intersections on scene. Well, nV knows why they are not comparing Turing to Volta in marketing materials :D

So, Navi also could run those algorithms fast, but it depends on architectural changes... we will see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rannar

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The idea that Navi won't achieve 2080 levels of Performance strikes me as being silly. Nvidia and AMD knew the approximate levels of Performance would exist at this time years ago when Navi's engineering began. Unless AMD completely cucked it up, their targets would have been at least that level of Performance. As someone else mentioned, AMD already reached that neighbourhood with Radeon VII on the generation prior to Navi. Not equaling the Radeon VII with Navi would be an epic fail. Could happen, I suppose, but I seriously doubt it.

That said, I don't know if AMD was expecting Ray Tracing to exist at this time, for Gaming anyways. If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if AMD can't match the 2080 for that task.

Reactions: asquare123
Status
Not open for further replies.