[Rumor] RX 480 Overclocking 1500+Mhz

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

A_Skywalker

Apr 9, 2016

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
And this reference cards will be more expensive just like Pascal?
Will they have something better than the non-reference at least?

No. Reference card = blower cooler, that is what is launching on the 29th. It will be $199-249 depending on 4GB vs 8GB and backplate/no backplate, according to retailers. Single 6-pin PCI-e power connector.

The custom cards with different cooling solutions may cost a little bit more, but they will also have different features including the option for a DVI-D port and likely better temperatures and (maybe) overclocking. Some of these cards should have 6-pin + 8-pin power connectors, ensuring physical power delivery does not limit overclocking. The Powercolor "Devil" RX480 8GB custom card will likely be ~$270-280 USD if past "Devil" cards and their respective pricing is any indication.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
And this reference cards will be more expensive just like Pascal?
Will they have something better than the non-reference at least?

Noo, the ref card is the base model and accordingly it is the cheapest. Nvidia just flipped the script on those early adopters rewarding/
punishing
them with a $100 tax to get ref cards.

Though in retrospect, its probably setup up that way on purpose because if you're a card producer why would you sell your better configured card for less than the reference card? Hmm... things to make you go lol what?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
It seems every time I see this thread, there is more and more hype going on, but, any OC'ing ability don't matter at all for the market AMD is directing these reference cards for.
OC'ing matters to enthusiasts, and that is about it.
Enthusiast cards are Vega, not Polaris.

I am sure the AIBs will have non-reference cards that clock better, and maybe even much better than the reference designed ones, and if rumors are correct, AMD is willing for them to have custom PCBs to add additional power plugs to the 480, unlike the Fury Nano, where they were not allowed to change anything major.

Oh, and if indeed "Radeon Wattman" is legit, that has to be one of the dumbest feature name changes I have ever seen.
Is it going to by like Clippy?

If they were smart they would do...
ruby.png
:D

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014
It seems every time I see this thread, there is more and more hype going on, but, any OC'ing ability don't matter at all for the market AMD is directing these reference cards for.

This sentiment had been shared often in the past. It never seemed right. Overclocking used to be a thing done to get more out of hardware, often cheaper hardware or hardware that was EOL. When your GPU is no longer beasting every game, you OC it.

It makes more sense, or has more value, to OC a lower end card to perform the same as a more expensive card.

At minimum overclocking is for every price point as long as the OC has significant benefits.

Aug 11, 2008
Yea, i can see why one might not overclock a cpu, i.e., have to go into bios, special mb, etc. But with all the free gpu overclocking tools, i see no reason not to at least try for a moderate overclock.

flopper

Dec 16, 2005

I am sure the AIBs will have non-reference cards that clock better, and maybe even much better than the reference designed ones, and if rumors are correct, AMD is willing for them to have custom PCBs to add additional power plugs to the 480, unlike the Fury Nano, where they were not allowed to change anything major.

Most dont care about the OC for sure, many here are not the representative of the userbase these cards are adressing as they are like a crowd without a mind.
Still there been a mentality to OC to gain value from various hardware as at some point paying extra 100$ tax and whatever else for something isnt as fun or enjoyable as to stretch a value end hardware to its limits.

and besides any wife would kill their husband if they knew the truth that the 800+euro card is second best when vega comes out.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I wish I had a dollar for every time someone typed hype. Anything even remotely hopeful or optimistic about the card is instantly "hype".

May 11, 2008
It's just speculation.

Because the same source that claims the reference RX 480 doesn't OC well, have said every custom RX 480 with a better PCB stock clocks 1.5ghz.

To me, that doesn't make sense because 6+1 power phase on the reference is plenty for what is a card that uses ~100W in gaming. 1x 6 pin also allows up to and even beyond (good PSU) 150W. There's head room there for the chip to hit the same clocks as the custom board. IF it does not, according to these rumors, it only means it's artificially gimped via the bios.

The amount of phases do not allow for just more power. It does but in a way different than one would expect.

The switch mode power supply is a circuit that switches the current on and of in a an inductor. This takes some time because a smps also has a switching frequency and the inductor does not allow instantaneous changes in the current that flows through it. The higher this frequency, the faster the smps can respond to load changes (more or less shader cores becoming active). Simply put, the gpu core must not experience a voltage droop that is excessive enough that calculation errors start to arise (bits flipping randomly) or that the gpu locks up.
But the problem is that with increasing switching frequency, the losses also increase. One way to counter that is to add output phases. The trick is that these output phases do not switch on all at the same time, but with a fixed delay one after each other. Now if one switching cycle for a single phase smps is equal to 360 degrees, then with 6 phases you turn on each output stage at 360/6 is at a 60 degrees delay one after each other for a full 360 degrees cycle. What this in effect does is that it seems like a smps with a switching frequency that seems to be 6 times higher. This translates that the smps can respond much faster to changing loads. And you have a lot less switching losses as added bonus compared to a smps switching frequency that is 6 times higher for a single phase smps. It is a lot more complicated but that is it in a nutshell.

I see at least 3 smps converters on the RX 480 card.

1 (6 phase) for the core, 1 (1phase) for the memory and memory controllers and 1(1phase) for other parts of the gpu that work on a different voltage plane.

Last edited:

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
May 11, 2008

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
the ref cooler looks terrible imo

http://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2016/06/AMD-Radeon-RX-480-PCB-Polaris-10-4.jpg

I'm not surprised at all, it's just a shame they didn't choose to make the price 10$ higher and install a proper cooler to keep the card cool and throttling-free

I'll definitely wait for AIB cards.

Sometimes I wonder if GPU makers go out of their way to make reference coolers shit. Surely after all these years they have an idea after looking at the 3rd parties do it what can be done economically for passable results?

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
At least i am happy to read that the only issue is the reference cooler and not the chip itself.

Some of the earlier reports said the stock cooler was good (quiet/cool) but it may not be able to handle an OC much at all. At least AMD isn't charging an extra $100 for a bad cooler.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
the ref cooler looks terrible imo

http://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2016/06/AMD-Radeon-RX-480-PCB-Polaris-10-4.jpg

I'm not surprised at all, it's just a shame they didn't choose to make the price 10$ higher and install a proper cooler to keep the card cool and throttling-free

I'll definitely wait for AIB cards.
There is no proof that it throttles at stock speed.
I am willing to bet that it don't throttle at all with the reference cards at the factory speeds, and the cards won't repeat the noise level of the 290's fiasco cooler.

Besides, $199 price point is what they were shooting for, not $209.

I honestly have no clue why anyone in these forums would bother with reference designs from either AMD or nvidia. We (in the forums) all know that custom coolers are the domain of the AIB, and are much better than the reference designed ones.

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone typed hype. Anything even remotely hopeful or optimistic about the card is instantly "hype".
They didn't say it was a OC'ers dream, so, anything beyond what they said it is capable of doing is hype. They set there expectations to be mainstream, nothing more.

It is also very possible that they will have black edition 480s at some point with a wraith type cooler. Or, they just might leave that door open for the AIBs.

PeckingOrder

Mar 30, 2013
There is no proof that it throttles at stock speed.
I am willing to bet that it don't throttle at all with the reference cards at the factory speeds, and the cards won't repeat the noise level of the 290's fiasco cooler.

Besides, $199 price point is what they were shooting for, not $209.

I honestly have no clue why anyone in these forums would bother with reference designs from either AMD or nvidia. We (in the forums) all know that custom coolers are the domain of the AIB, and are much better than the reference designed ones.

Because non reference designs are coming later, who knows when.

I'm tired of poor reference designs (srsly, who would not pay 5$ extra for a decent cooler) and of waiting for a solid card. 28nm seems like a waste and >400$ GTX 1070 like overkill for my needs.

3333_zpsmtpn3znx.jpg

no thank you

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Because non reference designs are coming later, who knows when.

I'm tired of poor reference designs (srsly, who would not pay 5$ extra for a decent cooler) and of waiting for a solid card. 28nm seems like a waste and >400$ GTX 1070 like overkill for my needs.

3333_zpsmtpn3znx.jpg

no thank you

That's in Crossfire, though. There's a reason why those of us who run multi-card configs typically water cool.