Rumor Mill: KOTOR remake may or may not be awesome.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The article really doesnt wanna say anything, cuz they're more into page hits than researching.

I am of the opinion they should have just let Bioware do it again. Only this time let them finish KOTOR 2 without hassling the team.
Post your baseless rumors here.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I don't think that we need rumors anyway to merely believe that such a remake would suck.

And to be honest I do think, sincerely, that there are some 'Hall of Fame' types of games out there that will never be surpassed by a remake (or a remaster, whichever) even if the project was in "good / experienced hands". However, with this being said, occasionally there's a divine intervention and it actually does turn out good, or heck it even surpasses the original in multiple ways. Then again the real difficult part is to reach for the belief that it would turn out good prior to the game being released. So until it's actually out the best thing to do is to expect the worst in order not to be burnt by destroyed unnecessary expectations.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
KOTOR really just needed a remaster to make the game run at modern resolutions etc without spotty mod support etc.

Not sure what a remake can possibly bring to the table that would be better.

Not sure why Aspyr wouldn't just make a new KOTOR game if they're already putting the effort in to rebuild KOTOR from scratch.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
after ME: Andromeda does anyone still have any faith in BioWare?
these are not the same people who made KOTOR or even the spiritual successor, Mass Effect.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
KOTOR really just needed a remaster to make the game run at modern resolutions etc without spotty mod support etc.

Not sure what a remake can possibly bring to the table that would be better.

Not sure why Aspyr wouldn't just make a new KOTOR game if they're already putting the effort in to rebuild KOTOR from scratch.
I would be happy with a simple remaster, and it would certainly be a safer option.

That doesn't mean a remake can't be better, but being tied to expectations more than a new game would will make convincing people of that much harder. Heard a line in a GDC presentation once that was something like "players know what they like, they don't know what they want, it's up to you (the developer) to tell them what they want." It was the start of an explanation about how players may perceive different aspects of games, and how the developer should be convincing the player through the game (in a sequel or spiritual successor) to try something different. A full remake of an old game that was well received is probably the worst place you can try to convince some people to try something different.

It probably wasn't Aspyr's choice. They could have offered up a new game, KOTOR or other Star Wars or something completely different, that the publisher and IP holder then gave direction to turn into a KOTOR remake, or they may have been assigned the remake from the start, or they might have been told the remake was the only way they would get to make their game or work on this IP.

after ME: Andromeda does anyone still have any faith in BioWare?
these are not the same people who made KOTOR or even the spiritual successor, Mass Effect.
Many of the people who made Andromeda may be gone as well, and many of the higher ups who made KOTOR and Mass Effect haven't done much since. I think the concept of pedigree within developers shouldn't be viewed the same way as it was 20-30 years ago when smaller teams of largely the same people churned out games at a much faster rate. With development times increasing many developers don't look remotely the same between the start and end of development, and that doesn't even take into consideration the smaller support studios that are often involved on larger projects these days. Probably worth being a little skeptical about a new game from Bioware or anybody else who has had similar stumbles and failures in recent years, but not worth completely dismissing them either. From Disney's perspective, not giving this to Bioware probably has more to do with EA than with Bioware.

Reactions: CP5670

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Many of the people who made Andromeda may be gone as well, and many of the higher ups who made KOTOR and Mass Effect haven't done much since. I think the concept of pedigree within developers shouldn't be viewed the same way as it was 20-30 years ago when smaller teams of largely the same people churned out games at a much faster rate. With development times increasing many developers don't look remotely the same between the start and end of development, and that doesn't even take into consideration the smaller support studios that are often involved on larger projects these days. Probably worth being a little skeptical about a new game from Bioware or anybody else who has had similar stumbles and failures in recent years, but not worth completely dismissing them either. From Disney's perspective, not giving this to Bioware probably has more to do with EA than with Bioware.
that's not entirely true though. i have very high hopes for Baldur's Gate 3 since both Divinity: Original Sin games were so good.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I was really looking forward to this title. Never got to play the original because we had a [Removed] computer back then at home.

Looks like this remake was given to a dev company that only did ports before. After the demo they fired the design and art director too.

I just hope it's not another cyberpunk launch. It does sound like they only had the demo ready or spent too much time and money on it by 2019 and now the shift in who will be working on the remake may have restarted development.

PC Gaming is considered part of Tech Forums, which follows the no profanity clause in our TOS.
Please try to keep it clean, I really hate dinging people for using profanity in this section, but our top bosses have made the call.

PC Gaming Moderator Aigomorla.

Last edited by a moderator:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
KOTOR 1 and 2 are both on Steam right now.
If you bother with KOTOR 2 I HIGHLY recommend the lost content restoration mod, because frankly the game is a mess without it.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I'd love if we could just get a KOTOR "Legendary Edition" where the framework of the game remains the same but we get some cleaned up models/meshes, textures, lighting if possible, full functionality on modern machines.

Essentially an "officially modded" KOTOR 1 & 2.

At this point I'd be happy with that.