[Rumor]GTX 980Ti to launch somewhere between May 16-26th

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
yeah. If AMD has a R9 390X which beats Titan-X by >10% then AMD will be in a good position to make some good margins. They desperately need it. Nvidia will be forced to adjust the prices to reflect the competitive situation.

It's safe to say, that whatever AMD releases, it won't top out at 12GB of RAM. Nvidia will not adjust the price of the Titan X, as it will still have a unique position in the market.

And give nVidia a target? don't think so.

What would be the point of NVidia leaving performance on the table? There's no downside to releasing the best you can produce at the time for your highend model, and realistically, any card at the top of the pile is going to be judged by its overclocked performance, anyway, not its stock clocks. If AMD doesn't want to set a target for Nvidia, they can just never release another product again.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
yeah. If AMD has a R9 390X which beats Titan-X by >10% then AMD will be in a good position to make some good margins. They desperately need it. Nvidia will be forced to adjust the prices to reflect the competitive situation.

They'll leave Titan where it is because it has 12GB of VRAM and people will declare it better because of it regardless.

It's safe to say, that whatever AMD releases, it won't top out at 12GB of RAM. Nvidia will not adjust the price of the Titan X, as it will still have a unique position in the market.

I rest my case. :)

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012

The RAM means nothing if Titan-X gets beaten by >10%. btw if R9 390X comes with 8 GB HBM according to the leaked slides then the Titan-X VRAM advantage means nothing as R9 390X has plenty of RAM with much higher bandwidth (which is what matters).

What would be the point of NVidia leaving performance on the table? There's no downside to releasing the best you can produce at the time for your highend model, and realistically, any card at the top of the pile is going to be judged by its overclocked performance, anyway, not its stock clocks. If AMD doesn't want to set a target for Nvidia, they can just never release another product again.

AMD will set a target when they launch. I am confident that R9 390X will do very well against Titan-X. stock and OC. It will do so at a lower price too and with much better acoustics and smaller size card too. There are going to be some amazing form factors (mini-ITX) due to HBM. this one is a home-run.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
They'll leave Titan where it is because it has 12GB of VRAM and people will declare it better because of it regardless.

Nvidia can leave Titan-X where they want but no one is going to buy that , atleast at that price, if it gets beaten clearly by R9 390X for some 250 to 300 bucks lesser. :whiste:

You will see a full GM200 6GB with higher clocks and maybe even AIO cooling at a competitive price if the competition forces them. :cool:

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
The RAM means nothing if Titan-X gets beaten by >10%. btw if R9 390X comes with 8 GB HBM according to the leaked slides then the Titan-X VRAM advantage means nothing as R9 390X has plenty of RAM with much higher bandwidth (which is what matters).

AMD will set a target when they launch. I am confident that R9 390X will do very well against Titan-X. stock and OC. It will do so at a lower price too and with much better acoustics and smaller size card too. There are going to be some amazing form factors (mini-ITX) due to HBM. this one is a home-run.

Video cards have other uses besides playing games. 12GB isn't about higher framerates in Crysis. It's about meaningless bragging rights or getting actual work done more quickly. NVidia has already made most of the money they are probably going to make off the Titan X. Either you have $1000 for a video card and buy right away or you hope the price will drop and you probably never buy, because these top end parts just disappear eventually, they don't drop in price. The market for $1000 prosumer video cards is so small, that AMD taking most of it away with an $800 card will have no financial impact on NVidia.

Last edited:

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Video cards have other uses besides playing games. 12GB isn't about higher framerates in Crysis. It's about meaningless bragging rights or getting actual work done more quickly. NVidia has already made most of the money they are probably going to make off the Titan X. Either you have $1000 for a video card and buy right away or you hope the price will drop and you probably never buy, because these top end parts just disappear eventually, then don't drop in price. The market for $1000 prosumer video cards is so small, that AMD taking most of it away with an $800 card will have no financial impact on NVidia.

oh you mean like the fact that Titan-X is useless for any application which requires fp64 performance due to Nvidia gutting fp64 perf on Titan-X. Titan-X is not a prosumer card by any stretch of imagination. The original Titan was with its fp64 performance on par with Tesla. Titan-X is a money grab and we all know it. People who fell for it are the ones who will never buy a AMD GPU. But there is a sizeable population which likes price/perf even at the high end and they are waiting for R9 390X and R9 390 to shake up the high end GPU market and to get the best bang for their buck. You will see that happen in late June or July when Nvidia announces price cuts. :whiste:

Last edited:

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
History tells us you are will be wrong. Original Titan, Titan Black, Titan X. Nvidia has never dropped the MSRP of any single GPU Titan. Not even when their own 780Ti beat it in games. When the card is no longer viable, they will remove it from the market.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
History tells us you are will be wrong. Original Titan, Titan Black, Titan X. Nvidia has never dropped the MSRP of any single GPU Titan. Not even when their own 780Ti beat it in games. When the card is no longer viable, they will remove it from the market.

Anyway lower prices are what I said will happen. Anyway this generation will be interesting with Nvidia's naming convention. There is already a GM204 based 980 and if a salvage GM200 uses the GTX 980 Ti name what is the fully enabled GM200 with 6 GB (a true 780 ti successor ) going to be named.

Alternatively if a fully enabled GM200 6GB is named 980 Ti whats the name for the salvage SKU - the successor to the 780. Surely Nvidia's yields on a 601 sq mm GM200 must be much lower than on a 398 sq mm GM204 . The GM204 itself has a salvage SKU - GTX 970. So definitely the GM200 will have a salvage SKU. its going to be interesting how Nvidia positions their product stack once AMD launches R9 3xx series.

Last edited:

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com
oh you mean like the fact that Titan-X is useless for any application which requires fp64 performance due to Nvidia gutting fp64 perf on Titan-X. Titan-X is not a prosumer card by any stretch of imagination. The original Titan was with its fp64 performance on par with Tesla. Titan-X is a money grab and we all know it. People who fell for it are the ones who will never buy a AMD GPU. But there is a sizeable population which likes price/perf even at the high end and they are waiting for R9 390X and R9 390 to shake up the high end GPU market and to get the best bang for their buck. You will see that happen in late June or July when Nvidia announces price cuts. :whiste:

The gutted DP performance goes for the entire Maxwell range though, even on the workstation side. It's not like they cut it on only the Titan X. The new Quadro M6000 is essentially the same card as Titan X, only with ECC memory, and costs $5K.

So yeah I don't agree the X isn't a prosumer card, there are rendering applications that can take advantage of the VRAM. I'm sure people that don't have a need for ECC memory are picking them up as a cheap alternative to the Quadro.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
Raghu, you may not know this but the original titans held their value so well that used cards were going for almost new prices long after the 780 and 780ti launched.

Nvidia has built up an image and they have a huge following. Its not so simple....

This is really what needs to happen,

We all would be much better off with this scenario. I really want it to turn out this way. But I see it as important for reasons you may not.

I don't think AMD will/can win back the majority in market share. Not even if they beat out nvidia cards on every single metric at 2/3rds the price. See, I think it will take multiple generations of excellence to turn things around. I believe that nvidia has built up an image so strong now and it won't easily be turned around.

This is why we need the 300series to be jaw dropping. And even with that, I believe they will only manage to slowly claw back some lost marketshare. Certainly no massive jump

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I'm thinking we might get two GM200 6GB GeForce gpus, a 985 = Titan X with 6GB RAM + maybe faster clocks, 980 Ti = cut down GM200 to fill the slot between 980 and Titan X performance levels. Nvidia doesn't typically allow that large of a performance gap go unfilled if AMD has something in that zone, which is what rumors indicate.

The real question is price. Between 390x/390/985/980 Ti (or whatever they end up being named) I'll be getting whichever is within 10-15% performance with the best overclocked perf/$.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
I'm not sure what to get when this releases. Price will factor in but I am looking to drop some cash on a single card that can drive 3x1080p and provide an improvement over 2x7970. If that doesn't happen this time around, then I guess I'll just wait it out a bit longer.

But knowing me, I'll give in to the first card that comes out that does this. I'm weak. WEAK!

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Well there are a few single cards that can run 3x1080p -- depends on how much you're willing to turn down settings and what FPS levels you tolerate.

I'm running 3x1080p on a R9 290@1100, but in games like GTA V I have to turn settings down quite a bit and still only get around 45-50 fps average.

Any of the high end cards coming up should be good to run with most settings maxed, no AA at 3x1080p with acceptable fps. Should be a lot smoother than old style Crossfire on the 7970s either way

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
With my 2x7970 I can max out pretty much everything, including GTA V, minor exceptions of course. Ideally I'd rather not lower anything. I probably won't upgrade until that single card exists and isn't $1300.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
with my 2x7970 i can max out pretty much everything, including gta v, minor exceptions of course. Ideally i'd rather not lower anything. I probably won't upgrade until that single card exists and isn't $1300.

1080p?

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
I`m shooting for 1440p 144Hz or 4K 60Hz so anything else than 980Ti/390X won`t cut it. Not even sure one card is enough :p

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
NV won't drop the Titan X's prices even if R9 390X is 2x faster for $399. NV's Titan brand is reserved for people who don't care about prices or price/performance. These customers would buy it for $1300, $1500, etc.

Really for most gamers, the real battle is 1st and 2nd tier 980Ti (GM200 6GB) vs. R9 390/390X.

There is absolutely 0 doubt that 2x $550-600 NV/AMD GM200/390 cards will destroy a single Titan X. Let's not even forget that the Titan X runs loud in overclocked states which means 2 of them in SLI is 55-56 dBA of noise levels = reference R9 290X loud. Who the hell wants that for gaming? That's why so many Titan X owners get waterblocks or AIO CLC.

Pretty much 390/390X or GM200 will obsolete the Titan X for gaming, especially once MSI Lightning, ASUS Matrix and EVGA Classified versions come out.

Even if the OG Titan can be sold for $400-500 today, it was still a waste of money for gaming as today a $300 970 is faster and uses less power. The Titan brand for gaming is nothing but bragging rights and it's aimed at gamers who don't want to wait for months for GM200 after-market versions.

Last edited:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004

I rest my case. :)

Umm, if AMD release 390\x faster than Titan ~ 10%,(I know its a stretch), but with only 4GB of VRAM, then yes, Titan will still be better.