RTX continues to seriously disappoint me

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
We know they have the DXR code base running, the game itself needs more work before they worry about that.

You seem to have ignored the part about the "very low frame rate implementation". They've clearly stated that RTX isn't ready for prime time which is why they aren't spending any more time on it. They want to optimize - not DEoptimize - their game. Maybe if the technology improves in the future, they'll work on it. For now, no.

Reactions: ZipSpeed and Glo.

kondziowy

Feb 19, 2016
Going back 22 years, I think current RTX implementation would be great in achieving 1080p@60fps in a racing game like Need For Speed 2. Assetto Corsa no way sadly. in 20 years, yes. It will be epic.
Untitled.png

Last edited:

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
'“At this point, it’s a foregone conclusion that if you’re going to buy a new graphics card, it’s going to last you two, three, four years,” Huang says, “and to not have ray tracing is just crazy.” '

So he's admitting that the 2060/60super cards are two year cards for $350-400+?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
lol this will certainly revolutionize office productivity at large!

$1000 graphics cards for everyone in accounting NOW

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
So, Mojang studio canceled "Super Duper" graphics update due to performance reasons and now they will implement RTX which will get performance to it's knees :D

Bravo NVIDIA /s

The common thought is that MS canceled 'super duper' graphics because nVidia payed them to implement RTX instead. The super duper update most likely ended developed ages ago, but they didn't announce it until recently.

But yeah, having to spend 500+ on a GPU to run minecraft is beyond laughable. Not to mention the game becomes so dark its nearly unplayable. Basically Quake 2 RTX which is *WAY* too bright should look like minecraft, and minecraft should be bright like Quake 2.

EDIT: Fixed a typo, wrote Quake 3 on accident

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
There's a big list of games getting the treatment: https://wccftech.com/nvidia-demonst...aft-dying-light-2-watch-dogs-legion-and-more/
As for JSS and ray tracing - well he has a point in that I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a gpu without ray tracing, not when next year the consoles, and AMD PC gpu's will also support it, and most games are going to use it.

I could agree with him about not recommend spending money on a 2019 GPU without ray-tracing. The thing is, I personally also wouldn't recommend upgrading to a 2019 GPU with it either, mostly due to high prices, low performance, and lack of worthwhile content and other issues.

So, Mojang studio canceled "Super Duper" graphics update due to performance reasons and now they will implement RTX which will get performance to it's knees :D

Bravo NVIDIA /s

I actually have a hunch this had little to do with Nvidia and was likely that as Microsoft looked at overhauling the graphics (they announced a pretty significant graphics update 2 years ago), they decided that they'd be better off just punting it to a game engine overhaul and well ray-tracing was going to be a part of that. If anything I'd guess his is more about trying to sell the next Xbox since it'll have ray-tracing hardware.

I can't exactly fault Nvidia for doing a bit of a marketing victory lap, but then I don't think this ray-traced version is due out til next year (if then, I'm guessing they're wanting to have it ready for the next Xbox launch). But this also highlights how silly ray-tracing is being utilized, and I hate the promo images they're using (where they're deliberately gaming things to make the differences more stark and I'm fairly certain they could offer much of the lighting improvement with rasterization and less performance hit - plus they'd have to actually tune it to fit the Minecraft aesthetic more; which is one of my issues is without other major updates like improved textures and voxel sizing, that realistic ray-traced lighting doesn't suit Minecraft visually that much; kinda like porting it into a 22 year old Quake game).

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
But yeah, having to spend 500+ on a GPU to run minecraft is beyond laughable. Not to mention the game becomes so dark its nearly unplayable. Basically Quake 3 RTX which is *WAY* too bright should look like minecraft, and minecraft should be bright like Quake 2.

Aren't the vast majority of people playing Minecraft doing so on hand-me-down potato rigs to begin with? Half of the reason it's so popular is that because it's a graphically simple game it doesn't need a high-end GPU. It might run smoother on something more powerful, but it's not going to look several hundred dollars prettier.

I guess if you want to push DXR and you've got a company that will hand you a sack full of money to do something you wanted to do anyway, why not take the money? It just doesn't make sense from NVidia's perspective since the audience for this game isn't going to buy RTX cards.

Reactions: Stuka87 and ZGR

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
I could agree with him about not recommend spending money on a 2019 GPU without ray-tracing. The thing is, I personally also wouldn't recommend upgrading to a 2019 GPU with it either, mostly due to high prices, low performance, and lack of worthwhile content and other issues.
The first company to produce a card that is both fast enough at ray tracing (to play next years games with it on) and is not stupidly priced is going to make a lot of money.

Aren't the vast majority of people playing Minecraft doing so on hand-me-down potato rigs to begin with? Half of the reason it's so popular is that because it's a graphically simple game it doesn't need a high-end GPU. It might run smoother on something more powerful, but it's not going to look several hundred dollars prettier.

I guess if you want to push DXR and you've got a company that will hand you a sack full of money to do something you wanted to do anyway, why not take the money? It just doesn't make sense from NVidia's perspective since the audience for this game isn't going to buy RTX cards.
You know that DXR is an MS thing, they want ray tracing just as much as Nvidia and for exactly the same reasons. There are a lot of kids playing minecraft on their xbox. If the ray tracing version only runs on the next xbox then they sell a lot of xboxes.

Every minecraft youtube streamer will have an Nvidia card because they can't stream pretty minecraft without one. Tbh most streamers will end up with a card that does ray tracing because some game they play will require it, which (until AMD can do it better) means they all use Nvidia, which will sell Nvidia cards as the gaming "influencer's" all have them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muhammed

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
As for JSS and ray tracing - well he has a point in that I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a gpu without ray tracing, not when next year the consoles, and AMD PC gpu's will also support it, and most games are going to use it.

Why? Both the 5700XT and 5700 can be excellent deals for people that aren't obsessing over a feature that doesn't even work particularly well right now. Folks with 5700XTs are not going to be crying because they can't run the new Minecraft (that had no shader-level lighting tricks anyway) with RT. It's clear as day that existing RTX hardware from NV isn't ready for prime-time. It'll take at least one more iteration of hardware changes before RT is a feature you'd want to turn on in every game. You'd have to be crazy to buy a card specifically because it does have RTX just because - it doesn't work right! The reason to buy NV cards (if any) is that they tend to run faster than AMD cards in anything that doesn't use RT.

Bottom line, get the best performance you can within your price range. Ignore RT, it isn't ready yet and it won't cripple your gaming experience 2 years out.

$1000 graphics cards for everyone in accounting NOW

Oh yes, the accountants will love that one. So will procurement.

Reactions: guachi

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
I think most of the big streamers are using Nvidia cards anyway, so I'm not sure the advantage of having streamers playing RTX Minecraft at 30 FPS will outweigh the silliness of Minecraft being a poster child for raytracing.

If they have to add DLSS to make up for the FPS loss I think I'll die laughing.

Reactions: psolord

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Ray Tracing is not making games run slower because of genuinely rubbish implementation. First implementation is not impressive because of the limited technology. If anything, next gen implementation of Ray Tracing, more complex ones, will only make the games run WORSE, with current hardware than they currently are running with Ray Tracing!.

That is how STUPID JSS's comments are. Its beyond belief. Its actually comical.

Reactions: psolord

Muhammed

Jul 8, 2009
@Muhammed

Do you honestly take anything JHH says seriously anymore? Especially wrt RTX?
He has a point though, for future proofing, you can't buy a GPU with no hardware RT, not when consoles are going to have it, and not when almost every AAA release is adding RT right now.

Gamescom 2019 is full of RT announcements it's ridiculous. And AMD is being left out.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
He has a point though, for future proofing, you can't buy a GPU with no hardware RT, not when consoles are going to have it, and not when almost every AAA release is adding RT right now.
Ray tracing requires Vulkan/DX12 titles which are an absolute drop in the bucket compared to all games available. Heck, there are indie titles coming out right now that still target XP/DX9 as a minimum. And of those DX12/Vulkan games, most don't support ray tracing. So you're looking at a fraction of a fraction of games.

Ray tracing will be a bit more popular when the hardware finds it more trivial to run, but nowhere near the overblown doomsday claims we're hearing. Just because consoles might have the hardware, doesn't mean every game will have it, just like not every console game runs at 1080p60.

Gamescom 2019 is full of RT announcements it's ridiculous. And AMD is being left out.
We saw the exact same announcements for PhysX, including in this very forum where we got amended lists almost every day. Likewise for low-level APIs. Remember when Mantle was going to "kill" DX11 and all indie games would get "automatic" performance gains from DX12? Yet for every DX12 game, there are one hundred DX9/DX11 games that are released.

It's completely overblown by nVidia in an effort to sell the overpriced and under-spec'd Turing line. We already have very good approximated lighting and global illumination from rasterization that runs fast. Ray tracing is an incremental IQ gain in exchange for a colossal performance cost and vastly overpriced hardware.

So..whatever happened to PhysX and 3D Vision?

Last edited:
Reactions: guachi