Discussion RTX 4090 reviews

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004

Comprehensive roundup:

Last edited:

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
Well, the next generation will probably be in ~2 years, and by then we'll be toward the latter half of this console generation, plus most of the industry seems to moving to the heavier UE5. I'm pretty sure we'll need both raster and RT/ML functionality still and not just the latter. And I'm pretty sure upscaling has taken out most of its potential by now TBH, the future gains will be smaller.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Honestly my 980Ti was doing more or less OK at 1440p. Not stunning or great, but I could hold onto it a bit longer.

Its weird to think this whole industry has really only seriously been a thing for about ~20 years. Its maturing, like smartphones. We're deep in "iterative upgrade" territory over generational leap territory.

I fully expect the 6800XT that I have in the mail to handle the next 5 years just fine based on my gaming needs (avoid AAA titles, patient game, etc).

The kind of power on tap here is starting to seriously exceed the software and displays to really harness it.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
If DLSS 3 works in VR, then I think a lot of VR flight sim enthusiasts will be getting this card for sure. High res VR displays take gankload of GPU power to run at a solid 90-120fps. Seeing what DLSS 3 does to Microsoft Flight Sim almost makes it seem like that game is just broken and requires the tech magic of DLSS 3 to workaround it's brokenness.
Given what this GPU can do, I can understand why some people would justify buying it. I'm impressed by DLSS 3. If it does what it seems to do reliably, then basically the GPU decides it's job is to create frames, and if anything tries to stop it from doing so (CPU, game engine, heavy graphics), it says "screw you" and does it anyway. It's pretty crazy.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I am not a fan of FE cards, but the performance is pretty impressive. Still, I am happy with my card for now, though I am interested in what RDNA3 is looking like. I personally run on 2560x1440 at 270Hz, so I prefer higher frame rates, I try for 200FPS or higher. I usually turn off RT, and have to adjust settings to my liking to get more FPS in some games.

Reactions: ZGR

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Idk if y'all agree with me here, but I am of the belief that 4K @ 144 Hz w/ VRR is pretty much all anyone will need for the foreseeable future,

The only reasonable use case I see for the 4090 is 4K/120hz gaming right now. 3090ti already handles 4K/60 easily. The only game I can think of right now that you won't be doing 4K/120 with a 4090 is going to be CP2077 without using DLSS.

At minimum you need to be at 4K for a 4090 to make sense, and I'd say also at least 120hz. Otherwise the card will be running 50% usage and wasted. Crazy amounts of performance, and graphics demands have stagnated for years now.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
The only reasonable use case I see for the 4090 is 4K/120hz gaming right now. 3090ti already handles 4K/60 easily. The only game I can think of right now that you won't be doing 4K/120 with a 4090 is going to be CP2077 without using DLSS.

At minimum you need to be at 4K for a 4090 to make sense, and I'd say also at least 120hz. Otherwise the card will be running 50% usage and wasted. Crazy amounts of performance, and graphics demands have stagnated for years now.

The Odyssey G9 can do 5120x1440p@240hz, while not 4K it is only ~11% less pixels, but at a very high refresh rate.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
As is expected, I have one.

SVf3UQC.jpg

Kaluan

Jan 4, 2022
The 4090 provides the same average framerate in Assassins Creed Valhalla at 4K as the 3090 Ti does at 1080P. 116 FPS.

Do note that it's highly likely the 4090 launch drivers (v521, 4090 exclusive) feature these v522 changes:

Where as the 3000 series and older used v517 or older (whatever was the official latest before today), it's no mistery some outlets even just recycle old results and don't retest with present day drivers when they review new hardware.

I mean, doesn't it look a bit suspicious how the spanking new driver arrived AFTER Lovelace made a splash? They don't even show 4090 in the driver performance preview slides.
If someone thinks this would be beneath nVidia, then they clearly don't know nVidia, or generally, how corporations work.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Do note that it's highly likely the 4090 launch drivers (v521, 4090 exclusive) feature these v522 changes:

Where as the 3000 series and older used v517 or older (whatever was the official latest before today), it's no mistery some outlets even just recycle old results and don't retest with present day drivers when they review new hardware.

I mean, doesn't it look a bit suspicious how the spanking new driver arrived AFTER Lovelace made a splash? They don't even show 4090 in the driver performance preview slides.
If someone thinks this would be beneath nVidia, then they clearly don't know nVidia, or generally, how corporations work.
Their test configuration does not mention a driver discrepancy.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012

Yeah, going to have to do more digging here to see if the 3000 series was tested on older drivers while the 4090 had the newer driver, which if true would obviously make the 4090 look like it has a bigger performance uplift.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Nice, I have a Gigabyte Gaming OC on order from Best Buy. Picking it up on the 20th.

I was sort of eyeing the FE at Best Buy, but it just seemed to never really go on sale. I did see the text telling me when and where I could pick it up if I ordered it, which is usually a sign that it had been on sale. I don't have any desire to pay more than the MSRP due to how the card will likely not benefit from it. I watched Jayz latest video on the ASUS ROG STRIX, and it was only slightly better (margin of error levels), about the same noise level, and it costs $400 more.

Although, my main desktop is still using 2560x1440 monitors, so I'd be more inclined to upgrade my Gaming HTPC (hooked up to an LG C1) instead. Awkwardly, I'm going through and performing the finishing touches on getting that thing water cooled right now -- it's a small case (Meshify 2 Compact) and it lies on its side during normal use, so it's a weird build. I could always toss it in the machine that's currently taking the place of the Gaming HTPC, which is going to stay air cooled (using the Torrent Compact case). It has the exact same CPU, but I'd like to upgrade its GPU (currently a 3070) for better 4K performance. I've got an EVGA 3080 AIO model lying around, but AIOs don't work well in the Torrent cases due to its layout. (You have to move the front fans, which are the entire point of the case.) If I bought the 4090, I was going to move the 3080 from my machine into the other PC.

Awkwardly, one of the reasons why I was tempted by the 4090 is that I watched the Corridor Digital video on self-training the image generation AI tools, and I wanted to try it out myself. Unfortunately, it requires a video card with 24GB of VRAM. I figured it was better to snag a newer 4090 than spend a bit less on the outgoing 3090 (Ti).

Reactions: DooKey

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Apparently, scalpers didn't get the memo on availability.

RTX 4090 for sale: Search Result | eBay

Won't stop them from trying. Scalpers be scalping.

I think the problem is that scalping doesn't really require much from the scalper other than a credit card with enough of an available balance. If the video card doesn't sell, just return it. If it does sell, you pay off the card and keep the remainder. (You also get the bonus points for any rewards earned from the card!) This is why I was wondering if having retailers (re-)implement restocking fees might be an interesting way to help combat scalping. The idea is that a scalper might be more hesitant to put the money down, because if the card doesn't sell for the higher rate, they are either forced to eat the fee (not good) or accept a lower markup. In the end, I'm curious if it would make them hesitant to even try to scalp in the first place if the guarantee isn't that great, and there is no return safety net.

adamge

Aug 15, 2022
I think the problem is that scalping doesn't really require much from the scalper other than a credit card with enough of an available balance. If the video card doesn't sell, just return it. If it does sell, you pay off the card and keep the remainder. (You also get the bonus points for any rewards earned from the card!) This is why I was wondering if having retailers (re-)implement restocking fees might be an interesting way to help combat scalping. The idea is that a scalper might be more hesitant to put the money down, because if the card doesn't sell for the higher rate, they are either forced to eat the fee (not good) or accept a lower markup. In the end, I'm curious if it would make them hesitant to even try to scalp in the first place if the guarantee isn't that great, and there is no return safety net.

The retail concept of allowing people to return items with no cost to them is fraught with pitfalls, this being just one of them.

Personally I definitely would eliminate cost-free returns on all retail transactions, but no one asked me. My take on the matter is that the buyer and seller entered into an agreement on the transaction. The buyer shouldn't be able to renege on it with no penalty.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I'm planning to get one, but don't want to fight all the scalpers on release and will wait a month or two. It will give me time to find a new power supply too. I don't really need it as such, but it will be great to revisit several VR sim games that were too slow on the 3090, and the Cyberpunk DLC whenever it comes out.

I'll probably stick to the FE or one of the stock 450W cards, as I want to keep the heat output down as much as possible.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
Aha, I just got my Z4 (yeah, I failed to resist), and launched a couple of games to see if I could see any difference. I noticed a busy area in AC:V had ridiculous frame rates compared to a busy area in AC:O, so now I know why...

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
If NVidia is what you're after, the 4090 is what you get. Because the 4080 is terrible in rasterization. only 11% faster? for 29% more money. The gray bars are dlss and ray tracing off.

Reactions: Kaluan and Leeea