RTG and Intel Team Up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Everyone has a conspiracy theory but the reality is that Newegg packaged together a decent combo at a respectable price.

You could get a slightly lower price at MicroCenter but add in sales tax, drive time even if you are within an hour or so and the cost is a wash (I live in SouthCentral PA and the MC is @1hr15 minutes away- turnpike toll, gas prices and sales tax would kill the slight savings).

ZEN, from all reports will first be released as 8c/16t so this is, price wise far above an I5-6600k which is shortly going to be replaced by KabyLake. That brings up another point. Newegg and Intel just created a neat way to clear out more of their SkyLake I5-6600k stock.

The cry's of traitor about RTG division really aren't fair when you consider that in the details of specs when testing the latest and greatest AMD gpus (FuryX, Fury, RX480) you would always see an Intel 5960x as the test bench. WHY?

I agree that ZEN is probably close but to capture the 2016 Christmas season, isn't this a smart move? RTG gets to sell some RX480s(actually MSI), Newegg/Intel unloads some incredibly strong cpus which are going to be replaced by KabyLake and consumers get a pretty good deal.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
If this wasn't a mistake, then maybe RTG is looking out for their own interests.

Can you blame them? Does this really hurt AMD? Especially since the rumors are swirling that Intel and AMD have entered into some deal- most likely affecting the RTG division.

Again, had this combo been a RX480 and even an I7 6700k I might have said HMMM??? but this bundle helps both without really hurting either.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think it's time, yet again, to remind everyone that Zen is first and foremost targeted at the server/big data market. Not the uber-gaming nerd market.

Maybe this is just AMD finally realizing that they need to send a cohesive, targeted message about what their products are. Or not, maybe it will blow up in their faces. We'll see, I guess.

Reactions: Phynaz

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
I think it's time, yet again, to remind everyone that Zen is first and foremost targeted at the server/big data market. Not the uber-gaming nerd market.

Maybe this is just AMD finally realizing that they need to send a cohesive, targeted message about what their products are. Or not, maybe it will blow up in their faces. We'll see, I guess.

EXCELLENT point.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008

I know that, do you know how long it would have taken me to post every single reason why it's an insane idea to not do this deal with Intel?
At this point in time, it makes zero sense to entwine the CPU and GPU divisions fates together. Why gamble on the CPU division to sell your GPUs? Sell your GPUs, and sell your CPUs. AMD is in no spot to be gambling its GPU future on its CPU division. It's CPU division is having enough trouble as it is.

I'm not even sure if we're being jerked around here by users. They want AMD to magically change its CPU image in a matter of weeks to then basically recreate a "Holiday Sales Drive level of sales" during Zen launch of Zen CPUs from people who waited from Christmas to not buy an Intel CPU to buy an AMD CPU?
It's a hard conversation to have when the premise is this preposterous.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I'm with the others in being slightly surprised that people think this is such a strange move? You don't even have to work with a corporation to know how corporations work. SELL SELL SELL. That's all that matters. Get the feelz, loyalties, and brand affection out of your heads, because NONE of that matters in a Corporate environment.

My company used to be ardently anti-Dell on some really old history, but now that Dell and EMC are together, and we're already highest-tier EMC and VMWare partners, Dell is now the best thing in the world. None of the past matters. At. All.

Zen is not here. The holidays *are* here. You people going on about trying to convince the average person to wait for Zen during the holidays are making a request that's a non-starter. These are consumers. If the average consumer had foresight, we wouldn't need marketing anyways. These people are not going to wait on Zen because they do not care. Slickest marketing wins.

AMD has two options. Make an appealing sale to get AMD in holiday buyer's homes, or give the business to NVIDIA. The third option, making people wait for Zen does not exist. When you view it realistically, the move makes perfectly fine sense.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I'm with the others in being slightly surprised that people think this is such a strange move? You don't even have to work with a corporation to know how corporations work. SELL SELL SELL. That's all that matters. Get the feelz, loyalties, and brand affection out of your heads, because NONE of that matters in a Corporate environment.

My company used to be ardently anti-Dell on some really old history, but now that Dell and EMC are together, and we're already highest-tier EMC and VMWare partners, Dell is now the best thing in the world. None of the past matters. At. All.

Zen is not here. The holidays *are* here. You people going on about trying to convince the average person to wait for Zen during the holidays are making a request that's a non-starter. These are consumers. If the average consumer had foresight, we wouldn't need marketing anyways. These people are not going to wait on Zen because they do not care. Slickest marketing wins.

AMD has two options. Make an appealing sale to get AMD in holiday buyer's homes, or give the business to NVIDIA. The third option, making people wait for Zen does not exist. When you view it realistically, the move makes perfectly fine sense.
So basically you are arguing that radeons are so bad that they have to be bundled with a good CPU and good games for them to be saleable at all?
Why give the competition any business at all? Intel is an even bigger competition then nvidia is.
Why not just bundle games and or give an discount on the GPU alone?
(who was it,some forum member is going on about this for a while now)
Making sales by giving the competition an equal amount of sales is just funny and deserves to be made fun off.

This is almost as bad as the pepsi challenge where pepsi probably became cokes biggest customer for a while just so they could give away both the coke they paid for and the pepsi they would have earned from.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
So basically you are arguing that radeons are so bad that they have to be bundled with a good CPU and good games for them to be saleable at all?

I'll wait for the exact quote of me saying the above. Because I didn't say that, nor mean that whatsoever. I bleed fairly Red btw. Going "you're basically arguing" is just a cheap way of setting up your own strawman of perceived bias to point out. I'm not interested.

Why give the competition any business at all? Intel is an even bigger competition then nvidia is.
Why not just bundle games and or give an discount on the GPU alone?
(who was it,some forum member is going on about this for a while now)
Making sales by giving the competition an equal amount of sales is just funny and deserves to be made fun off.

Why was Apple SoCs made by the wing of one of Apple's biggest competitors in the smartphone industry? The same one they were successfully suing?

Why is Citrix VDI developed for vSphere?

Why does Nutanix provide compatible images for running vSphere on their systems?

Why does Intel qualify and work in developing NVIDIA Telsa systems when they have Xeon Phi?

Why does Microsoft contribute to Linux?

Why did Ford work with Toyota on Hybrids?

Why did Nissan and GM share a plant?

Your questions, and desire to make fun of AMD's decisions are perhaps misplaced, as you're a sharp guy. You know this goes on all the time in the business world, as I mentioned just a few above. Sometimes, it makes sense for competitors to work together. This is heavily discussed in the business world, and has had papers written about it since the 80s.

The lions share of the PC Market buys PCs. The next step down of people buy Bundles. They buy components that they feel have a high probability of working together because they want to take that next step in building a system, but aren't necessarily sure about buying all the bits and bobs. Complete system bundles are huge sellers on the likes of Newegg / MC / etc, that's why all these vendors do it. Working with your competitors isn't necessarily dumb. Ignoring a huge portion of your sales opportunity out of "feelz" IS dumb.

AMD needs to provide a good bundle for holiday sales. It's no secret that Intel has huge brand recognition in the CPU market, and the AMD CPUs currently in market have neither the brand clout nor necessarily the performance to challenge them. Presenting AMD GPUs in an Intel CPU bundle does two things.

1. For those looking for Intel CPUs, there is now a solid option to get an AMD GPUs right in front of these purchasers. That's brand. You have to remember that tons of people in the PC component market have little to no idea what they're doing. They go off marketing. Seeing AMD in front of them whenever they're looking for an Intel CPU because their friend told them you have to get an Intel CPU is a good thing.

2. Working with Intel on a bundle has likely stopped NVIDIA from doing the same thing. NVIDIA and Intel are not in the best relations with each other again, because while Intel powers the largest CUDA platforms in the server market, there is no doubt that Intel is heavily pushing Xeon Phi. There is a careful balance of power to be managed, and Intel working with AMD on this helps provide a boost to AMD's market exposure while minimizing NVIDIAs. Because Intel has no discrete GPU of its own, this partnership makes sense.

Your suggestions do nothing to address either point. Can you suggest something, or some things that would?

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Holy inflated prices, batman. This "combo" is not a good deal unless you really want those games.

$450.00 is more than you would normally spend on the cpu ($199 at MC) and the video card ($245 at NE). I'd even wager you can OC a cheaper version of the video card so you could get the cheaper $230.00 priced 480.

If you buy a motherboard for the chip (which you'll need anyway, you get an additional $30.00 off the combo at MC.

It's not a bad deal. Doom and Civilization 6 are easily worth $50 for those interested in those genres. On December 12, there is another $20 off $100 with Newegg Visa Checkout.
https://slickdeals.net/f/9498864-20...sa-checkout?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

After $20 MIR, the combo is $410. i5 6600K by itself is $240. That makes MSI RX 480 8GB a $170 videocard with 2 free AAA games (or i5 6600K for $180). If you were to purchase the videocard on its own on December 12th, it could cost $220. A decent budget Asus Z170-E board is $86. That means the deal is $50 off with 2x AAA games. It is true though that there are cheaper AIB RX 480s like the PowerColor Red Devil for $220.

You also have to look at what the alternative solution is from Newegg:

NV build
i5 6600K = $240
cheapest GTX1060 6GB = $240
- $20 off Visa Checkout
= $460 + 0 AAA games offered

AMD build
i5 6600K + RX 480 8GB = $430
- $20 off Visa Checkout
= $410 with 2 AAA games

The AMD route is $50 less and has 2 good games, despite RX 480 and GTX1060 largely trading blows in modern games. The i5 + RX 480 build is clearly the better choice at these prices. In fact, even at $460, just the inclusion of Doom and Civ 6 would have already made the i5 + RX 480 combo superior to many buyers.

My issue with the combo isn't the price, but more to do with the fact I would probably spend extra for the i7 if wanted to keep the CPU platform for 4-5 years.

wd2_proz_2.png

Here we go....again! Anything AMD does to bring more value to the consumer is once again spun as a negative for AMD or it's shareholders. If you aren't an AMD shareholder, what difference does it make if RX 480 sells for $1 bundled with an i5 6600K? We are consumers here and this bundle offers value, period.

What are we concerned with on this forum? How much $$$ AMD makes, how much Intel benefits or how much good hardware PC gamers can buy at reduced prices and get free games? Why is it that every positive thing that AMD does to deliver more value to PC gaming is turned into "AMD is desperate", "their product is so crap they have to give gamers more value!"

How about you focus on the fundamentals of PC hardware, and objectively assess what's better to buy this holiday season:

Option 1: i5 6600K + RX 480 + 2 AAA games for $410
Option 2: i5 6600K + GTX1060 6GB and 0 AAA games for $460

?

I sure as hell didn't complain when NV & EVGA gave me 3-4 AAA games with my EVGA GTX 470s. (Just Cause 2, Mafia 2, Metro 2033, Cryostasis).

"Add it all up and you could walk away with Doom, Deus Ex, and either Hitman or Civ VI if you decide to build an affordable all-AMD gaming PC from the ground up over the next month. That’s $180 worth of free games, and they’re some of the best games of 2016. Not too shabby."
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3143...icing-free-game-bundles-for-the-holidays.html

Oh, poor AMD shareholders.......(AMD stock is up 353% since December 12, 2015).

Your suggestions do nothing to address either point. Can you suggest something, or some things that would?

If it was GTX1060 6GB i5 6600K bundle and the same games, I wonder if we'd be reading the same negative spin. AMD and Intel are delivering the best value bundle for 1080p gaming, outside of Fry's/MicroCenter deals, and he is trying to spin it as a negative for AMD/consumers.

Even if Zen is consistently 1% slower than i7 7700K / Skylake-X in games, it will be declared a failure by the usual suspects that spent the last 5-10 years telling everyone how "this is AMD's last chance," or how "AMD is going to be bankrupt soon."

The signs cannot be clearer that Zen is a server/enterprise CPU first, above all else. That's where the growth and the profitability are in the foreseeable future. It's amusing to watch the usuals defend overpriced mid-range cards from the competing brand, and yet turn around and bash/spew negativity towards gaming bundles that offer more value to PC gamers.

The facts are clear: The $50 cheaper i5 6600K and RX 480 + 2 AAA game bundle is currently the better buy for PC gaming for most gamers than an i5 6600K and a GTX1060 6GB are.

The need to go out of their way to spin this bundle is a negative to PC gaming/our hobby is more a reflection of the lack of objectivity of the posters rather than anything else.

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
How about you focus on the fundamentals of PC hardware, and tell everybody what's better to buy this holiday season:

Option 1: i5 6600K + RX 480 + 2 AAA games for $410
Option 2: i5 6600K + GTX1060 6GB and 0 AAA games for $460

I wouldn't buy any of that crap this holiday season. I remember seeing at least 4 or 5 threads with guys saying how 4 threads is not enough we need 6 or more.
We need Zen, 8 cores now, look at this game , the i5 is dead, bla bla bla.
Now the same guys are promoting this i5 crap.

I'd buy a Kabylake i7 7700k and a gtx1070.
Doom is old news & sucks, and Civ 6 is just ok.

Looking at the chart you posted , its the only choice.
wd2_proz_2.png

The 480/gtx1060 is just too slow now. I think in 2017,gtx980/290x(2013/2014) performance is a little slow. Well the gtx1060 is a low end card along with a 480 now right?

wd2_1920.png

Now watch this magic trick, watch as happy medium makes the same guys " GOAL POSTS MOVE" to fit an agenda.

MOre cores and direct x 12 makes the fx 9590 and a $239 fury a much better deal.
OH and don't forget you can do some dam good mining with the fury and pay for a brand new system in a few years.

Not trolling, this is truly my opinion on this Intel/AMD offer.

Last edited:

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I wouldn't buy any of that crap this holiday season. I remember seeing at least 4 or 5 threads with guys saying how 4 threads is not enough we need 6 or more.

I am on the same page for long-term PC build, but I not everyone has the budget for an i7 though.

I already calculated 10x that i5 4C/4T makes no sense to me. $100 price delta over 5 years = $20 a year but it's actually less if I assume 50% resale value for both i5 6600K and i7 6700K. Hence I went i7 6700K for every build I have in the house. A lot of PC gamers don't resell old parts but pass them on to family or friends. As a result, the $100 price delta is a real $100 cost of ownership difference for them. You have been using an i3 for more than a year despite i5 6400-6600K being far superior choices. So, you can't outright dismiss i5 6600K even now.

Since someone buying an i5 6600K/RX 480/1060 probably wants to purchase other things too this holiday season, they might deem it more beneficial to use $100 from i7 and $50 savings from not going with a GTX1060 on other presents/gifts to family/friends, etc.

I wouldn't buy a GTX1070 right now. The prices are back up closer to $400 range which is higher than $379 MSRP and the card is roughly 6 months old. Honestly, even the i7 7700K appears as a non-eventful buy at the moment -- Insert XYZ gamer could have enjoyed i7 6700K since August 2015. But you should know a lot of gamers don't follow tech/forums as closely as we do. Q1 2017 is going to be an awkward quarter to buy a CPU+GPU until Vega, Zen and Skylake-X drop and we have all the cards on the table. There is just too much happening on the high-end in 2017. My choice of 6700K over 5820K/6800K was easier but if I had access to a 7800K Skylake-X 6-core or similar, I would have probably went that route if I were buying in 2017.

I wouldn't be surprised if some gamers who will see the i5 6600K + RX 480 8GB bundle won't even know Kaby Lake is launching in the 1st week of January.

What's wrong with those games? I don't think Doom sucks but OK. As you know Civ games improve over time with patches. I find both Doom and Civ 6 more appealing than Watch Dogs 2, and as I said both games can be sold for $50 if you don't care about them.

Ya, but it's a big difference between a $340 i7 6700K and $190 i5 6600K.

The 480/gtx1060 is just too slow now. I think in 2017,gtx980/290x(2013/2014) performance is a little slow. Well the gtx1060 is a low end card along with a 480 now right?

During Fury X/980Ti/Titan X generation, I considered those high-end flagship cards of that generation. By definition then, R9 290/290X/970/980/R9 390/390X were mid-range/upper-mid-range cards of that generation. New generation rolls and now R9 290->980 (or 480/1060) is this generation's low end. GTX1070/1080 are mid-range/upper-mid-range and flagship Vega and GP102 haven't launched yet. But again, you are ignoring that not many people can freely step up from an i5 6600K and RX 480 all the way to an i7 6700K/7700K and GTX1070/1080.

Since RX 470/480 is the bare minimum required to play 1080p games close to 50-60 fps, I consider those cards low-end as I consider 1080p a low-end gaming resolution. However, in terms of perspective, looking at Steam hardware survey, at least for Steam users, 1080p and RX 480/1060 and i5 6600K level of hardware is nowhere near low-end. That's actually high-end for most of Steam users (sounds funny but true). Forums such as ours do not reflect the majority of PC gamers.

MOre cores and direct x 12 makes the fx 9590 and a $239 fury a much better deal.

That's a terrible combo. i5 6600K and RX 480 8GB is superior overall. RX 480 is more profitable for mining since it uses less electricity than the Fury. i5 6600K on Z170 + DDR4 can at least be upgraded to an i7 6700K/i7 7700K but the entire FX platform with AM3+ mobo and DDR3 is $ flushed down the toilet right out of the gate. I'd rather play winter sports and watch movies over winter and save up for a proper i5/i7 (or Skylake-X and Zen rig) than waste my $ on a dead FX + AM3 combo.

AMD needs to desperately clear stock of FX CPUs asap before Zen takes over though.

Last edited:

Sven_eng

Nov 1, 2016
Always great fun to watch enthusiasts scratch heads at corporate moves. :D

The AMD logo simply being seen next to the Intel logo is worth more than anything to AMD. What I don't get is what Intel is getting out of it.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003

The AMD logo simply being seen next to the Intel logo is worth more than anything to AMD. What I don't get is what Intel is getting out of it.
patents?Its AMD's payment for their gpu tech.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Knowing all the reasons is naturally beyond our abilities unless you're a high ranking Intel or AMD employee with no concern about their job security, but I mentioned some likelihoods in my previous post.

2. Working with Intel on a bundle has likely stopped NVIDIA from doing the same thing. NVIDIA and Intel are not in the best relations with each other again, because while Intel powers the largest CUDA platforms in the server market, there is no doubt that Intel is heavily pushing Xeon Phi. There is a careful balance of power to be managed, and Intel working with AMD on this helps provide a boost to AMD's market exposure while minimizing NVIDIAs. Because Intel has no discrete GPU of its own, this partnership makes sense.

Intel does not have its own discrete GPUs, and market share of NVIDIA is rising in all sectors, which provides extra funds for NVIDIA's R&D. This is direct competition to Intel's efforts with Xeon Phi. Giving AMD extra push this holiday season does little to sour the relationship with NVIDIA in the enterprise market (who is their alternative?) but in the consumer space this keeps AMD relevant just a little more, and like Apple, sends the message that Intel will work with both players if the money is good.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mar 10, 2006
Intel does not have its own discrete GPUs, and market share of NVIDIA is rising in all sectors, which provides extra funds for NVIDIA's R&D. This is direct competition to Intel's efforts with Xeon Phi. Giving AMD extra push this holiday season does little to sour the relationship with NVIDIA in the enterprise market (who is their alternative?) but in the consumer space this keeps AMD relevant just a little more, and like Apple, sends the message that Intel will work with both players if the money is good.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

AMD is a bigger direct threat to Intel than NVIDIA is. AMD is sounding off almost daily that it plans to take 10%+ of Intel's x86 server business.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008

wd2_proz_2.png

wd2_1920.png

Now watch this magic trick, watch as happy medium makes the same guys " GOAL POSTS MOVE" to fit an agenda.

OH and don't forget you can do some dam good mining with the fury and pay for a brand new system in a few years.

Not trolling, this is truly my opinion on this Intel/AMD offer.

Well my recommendation has always been to get a 1070 or faster processor and an i7 7700k/6700k processor. Just wish people would actually just get at LEAST the right CPU. There was NEVER a good reason to get an i5 over the last 3-4 years. Just save an extra paycheck and get a processor that will last.

Yup, basically says that AMD is actually a legitimate company with good products. I agree, that ALONE is worth the deal.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
AMD is a bigger direct threat to Intel than NVIDIA is. AMD is sounding off almost daily that it plans to take 10%+ of Intel's x86 server business.

That would be very short-sighted. AMD can talk all it wants about its plans, but Intel has fought off AMD before through both legal and illicit means in its various participating markets. Intel has far more ability to research and defend itself from AMD than NVIDIA. The emerging markets of deep learning and AI are being forged by NVIDIA and Intel, and you really feel that AMD is a bigger threat to Intel than NVIDIA? When you have one company that must be incredibly frugal with every R&D effort, while another one clears more money than ever in a quarter and can just throw ideas at a wall to see what sticks, I think it's very clear which one is more of a threat to Intel. We'd have to just agree to disagree, but that argument falls apart as soon you as you start talking money.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
People are making too much out of this. Intel CPU + rx480 is pretty much the best bundle in the price range you can get. The controversy part just adds to the marketing. Shrewd marketing on both the Intel and AMD part (as neither like Nvidia). Those who would buy Zen are already waiting on it. I am 100% certain Zen will be hard to come by first few weeks after the launch at least. Heck even Bulldozer wasn't that easy to score and it was not a good product.

Aug 11, 2008

That is a big plus, admitting that one has to use your competitor's product to get optimum performance?? OK, if you say so.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
AMD and Intel have a long history of actually working together. Cross licensing common bond in x86. While they are competitors, they also have a common bond in OpenCL. And that market is on a rise, projected to be the size of the today's server market by 2025 actually. Neither Intel or AMD can afford Nvidia to monopolize it with Cuda. Intel has made big investments in this area..

In other words, Intel losing some share to AMD is inevitable, there is not much they can do there. But competing against Nvidia in deep learning is something they both absolutely aim to do, and they are naturally aligned to do just that.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks for the bump, because I was looking for this comment:

OK, damn, maybe I was wrong again! :D