Ron Paul's “South Was Right” Civil War Speech With Confederate Flag

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 23, 2000
This doesn't make sense. As stated previously I voted Obama last time around. I'm not black

It wasn't directed at you, but the fact that Black Americans voted for Obama is disproportionate numbers. AKA they are racists.

I've now watched the video and I don't see him promoting slavery or any type of racial hatred. He merely is stating that the North used Slavery as a justification for starting a war. He makes a good point that 11 other nations in the Americas that had slavery abolished it without civil war, and that it would have been cheaper for the North to buy slaves freedom over fighting a war and having over half a million people killed.

Also, I noted the Newsone.com is for "Black America". Any "news" source that is for "insert color" here, I don't find their interpretations exactly accurate or factual.

Aug 23, 2000
Interesting how we view opinions someone personally holds and opinions that someone's acquaintance holds differently.

Crazy, I know.

So he went to church and listened to those views for 20 years, but he didn't believe in them?

I personally don't keep acquaintances with people with vastly differing views.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
explained pretty clearly in the first 3 sentences of my posted that you quoted.

These are your first 3 sentences:
I disagree. I don't agree with him on everything but he is far and away the best choice out. He is the only one with consistency in his principles...

Not much is being explained in those sentences except maybe the last one, which would be a dubious reason to vote for someone. Hitler was pretty consistent as well...

Aug 14, 2001
This really is a wonderful video. Will the media even play it on their networks? I doubt it. The media will never report the truth about Ron Paul. A story on this video with this crazy racist man in front of a racist flag making racist statements would destroy him.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
This really is a wonderful video. Will the media even play it on their networks? I doubt it. The media will never report the truth about Ron Paul. A story on this video with this crazy racist man in front of a racist flag making racist statements would destroy him.

the statements were in no way rascist. and teh confederate flag isn't rascist. Do you know what rascism is?

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
These are your first 3 sentences:

Not much is being explained in those sentences except maybe the last one, which would be a dubious reason to vote for someone. Hitler was pretty consistent as well...

further explained in other posts ITT:

Ron Paul is all about liberty and maximizing personal freedoms and getting the government out of our personal lives. Name a single alternative with those principles and a better implementation plan?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It wasn't directed at you, but the fact that Black Americans voted for Obama is disproportionate numbers. AKA they are racists.

I've now watched the video and I don't see him promoting slavery or any type of racial hatred. He merely is stating that the North used Slavery as a justification for starting a war. He makes a good point that 11 other nations in the Americas that had slavery abolished it without civil war, and that it would have been cheaper for the North to buy slaves freedom over fighting a war and having over half a million people killed.

Also, I noted the Newsone.com is for "Black America". Any "news" source that is for "insert color" here, I don't find their interpretations exactly accurate or factual.

The North did not use slavery as a justification for starting a war. This is a History 101 error.

I am also unaware that the slaves in the South were for sale, or that the Southerners would have been ok with selling them all and abolishing slavery either. Can you provide links for this?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Ron Paul is all about liberty and maximizing personal freedoms and getting the government out of our personal lives. Name a single alternative with those principles and a better implementation plan?

Ron Paul has no implementation plan. He has been a total failure at passing any legislation for his entire career.

Aug 14, 2001

No, Ron Paul is all about doing that at the federal level and making sure that you have almost no civil liberties at the state level. He is fine with the biggest possible government doing the biggest possible things against the individual, as long as it is at the state level. Effectively, Ron Paul is the most anti-civil liberties candidate since segregationists of the 60s.

Do you even know anything about this racist old man that you seem to support?

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
2461kjn.png

http://newsone.com/nation/casey-gan...right-civil-war-speech-with-confederate-flag/
Video
Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B85TJJyKyKw
Part 2 :Ron Paul talks about secession...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz3PZSLjhmA&feature=related
This guy is done.

Alright so let me see if I understand. Ron Paul is saying that different areas should be allowed to have their own rules. If Canada legalizes cocaine, America should mind its own business and not do something crazy like try to assassinate our leader (as you do with EVERY OTHER LEADER EVER). If USA wants to make abortions illegal, other countries and the UN should shut the hell up and mind their own business. That seems fair. Keep the rules on a more local level. Americans have American rules. Brits have Brit rules. California has California rules. Texas has Texas rules.
Ron Paul :thumbsup:

And what's the standard Democrat position? One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. The democrats want everyone to have the same rules. If 51% of Americans thought interracial marriage should be illegal, democrats would demand that this rule to be applied to everyone. Why keep the racism and stupid laws in the stupid areas when you can spread them around and make everyone suffer, am I right guys? Of course, this is naturally flawed because applying the same rules to all regions means everyone has a bunch of laws they hate. California has the federal government up its ass with federal DEA people busting state licensed people for running marijuana clinics that Californians voted in favor of. You wanted state law to trump federal law? Well tough shit. You would vote for Ron Paul if you actually wanted that. A vote for the democrats and their federalism is a vote for Sauron. You bitched that Bush was being a wise and beautiful woman when he wanted to make a nation wide constitutional bad on gay marriage. Guess whose ideas it was to give the feds that kind of power? That's your own damn fault. RETARDS.

That white power monthly newsletter I keep getting in my email is unreliable?!?!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Alright so let me see if I understand. Ron Paul is saying that different areas should be allowed to have their own rules. If Canada legalizes cocaine, America should mind its own business and not do something crazy like try to assassinate our leader (as you do with EVERY OTHER LEADER EVER). If USA wants to make abortions illegal, other countries and the UN should shut the hell up and mind their own business. That seems fair. Keep the rules on a more local level. Americans have American rules. Brits have Brit rules. California has California rules. Texas has Texas rules.
Ron Paul :thumbsup:

And what's the standard Democrat position? One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. The democrats want everyone to have the same rules. If 51% of Americans thought interracial marriage should be illegal, democrats would demand that this rule to be applied to everyone. Why keep the racism and stupid laws in the stupid areas when you can spread them around and make everyone suffer, am I right guys? Of course, this is naturally flawed because applying the same rules to all regions means everyone has a bunch of laws they hate. California has the federal government up its ass with federal DEA people busting state licensed people for running marijuana clinics that Californians voted in favor of. You wanted state law to trump federal law? Well tough shit. You would vote for Ron Paul if you actually wanted that. A vote for the democrats and their federalism is a vote for Sauron. You bitched that Bush was being a wise and beautiful woman when he wanted to make a nation wide constitutional bad on gay marriage. Guess whose ideas it was to give the feds that kind of power? That's your own damn fault. RETARDS.

That white power monthly newsletter I keep getting in my email is unreliable?!?!

Why are you comparing the differences between countries and the differences between states in a single federal system? They are nothing alike.

Secondly, the Democrats would most certainly not ban interracial marriage if 51% of people were for it. It was found to be unconstitutional, so overturning that would require a far larger majority. The feds have had such a power since 1865 or so, and we're much better for it.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Why are you comparing the differences between countries and the differences between states in a single federal system? They are nothing alike.

Secondly, the Democrats would most certainly not ban interracial marriage if 51% of people were for it. It was found to be unconstitutional, so overturning that would require a far larger majority. The feds have had such a power since 1865 or so, and we're much better for it.

the 'good thing' about paul is that his weird views are so out there, he couldnt possibly get most of it passed. but stripping some powers from the fed? maybe

he certainly cant make the states make aggressive weirdo laws and keep SCOTUS from telling them no.

funny to see the fearmongering though, suggestions that you could get an abortion in IL and go to IN and be arrested for it?

IL doesnt ticket IN cars with tint thats illegal in IL or for driving 70 in IN instead of 65.

stick to the stromfront relationship, that has real teeth but you lose momentum with the wild eyed crazy talk

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
How is it any different? USA and Europe are roughly comparable as a group of states that unite together under some common rules (EU does have some common rules and it has its own leaders). The two are about the same physical size with a similar population and a similar amount of diversity between all of the member states. Saying all Americans should fall under the same rules is on the same level of crazy as saying all of Europe should have exactly the same rules. Ron Paul seems to realize that it's silly to expect a group that large and that diverse to all agree to the same things. It just isn't going to work. California and Texas may be right next to each other, but they're nothing alike. They're about as different as Britain and France. Even the populations in those two states rival the populations of other countries. California and Canada have roughly the same population.

Try to think in terms of why USA was started. You have 13 colonies. All of them are weak, and relations are a bit rocky with big and powerful Britain. None of the colonies stand a chance against Britain, but together it's a bit more even. It would make sense to unite all of them for a common goal. It's the same idea as NATO or the Warsaw Pact. A shared currency might help as well.... sort of like the Euro. That should be the end of it. Shared army, shared currency, shared federal taxation (to pay for the shared army), and that's it. Forcing California and Texas to have the same laws is asking for trouble. One is very anti-gun, the other is pro-gun. One is anti-gay, the other is simply gay. That's all fine. If you're gay, you go to the gay state. If you hate gays, feel free to leave and go to the anti-gay state. Banning gay marriage will anger 30 million people, but allowing it will anger 30 million other people. Forcing the same rules on everyone causes everyone to lose at some point. People in California might think forcing civil rights on the south was a success, but the south thinks that shutting down marijuana clinics in California is a success. This is failure at its finest. The whole country is divided on nearly every issue. How many times do people in here say California should just break off and leave the union? Guess why that is.

No problem. Change the constitution and you're good to go. That's what Bush was trying to pull with his gay marriage thing. There's also a nation wide ban on stem cell research (I think).

In any event, Ron Paul is only fooling himself if he thinks the civil war could be avoided by buying slaves. Slaves are not just "things" you can buy out. They were farm equipment. They were industrial machines. They drove the economy. Slavery was why the south could sell things at low costs and remain competitive. Outlawing it or trying to buy them out is like trying to outlaw or buy out industrial machinery. Yeah they get a lump sum payment, but what happens when industry falls on its face? They.... go back to Africa and get more slaves. Duh. If you buy the car I need to get to work, then obviously I'll go find another car to get the same work done.
The war had less to do with moral highground and more to do with not being able to compete. The guys in the north are like modern Americans with high wages. The slaves in the south are like modern Chinese workers. With costs that low, industry heads south.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How is it any different? USA and Europe are roughly comparable as a group of states that unite together under some common rules (EU does have some common rules and it has its own leaders). The two are about the same physical size with a similar population and a similar amount of diversity between all of the member states. Saying all Americans should fall under the same rules is on the same level of crazy as saying all of Europe should have exactly the same rules. Ron Paul seems to realize that it's silly to expect a group that large and that diverse to all agree to the same things. It just isn't going to work. California and Texas may be right next to each other, but they're nothing alike. They're about as different as Britain and France. Even the populations in those two states rival the populations of other countries. California and Canada have roughly the same population.

Try to think in terms of why USA was started. You have 13 colonies. All of them are weak, and relations are a bit rocky with big and powerful Britain. None of the colonies stand a chance against Britain, but together it's a bit more even. It would make sense to unite all of them for a common goal. It's the same idea as NATO or the Warsaw Pact. A shared currency might help as well.... sort of like the Euro. That should be the end of it. Shared army, shared currency, shared federal taxation (to pay for the shared army), and that's it. Forcing California and Texas to have the same laws is asking for trouble. One is very anti-gun, the other is pro-gun. One is anti-gay, the other is simply gay. That's all fine. If you're gay, you go to the gay state. If you hate gays, feel free to leave and go to the anti-gay state. Banning gay marriage will anger 30 million people, but allowing it will anger 30 million other people. Forcing the same rules on everyone causes everyone to lose at some point. People in California might think forcing civil rights on the south was a success, but the south thinks that shutting down marijuana clinics in California is a success. This is failure at its finest. The whole country is divided on nearly every issue. How many times do people in here say California should just break off and leave the union? Guess why that is.

They are entirely different because the structures are nothing alike. Separate countries have exceedingly few common laws they obey. Basically none, really. (how often is international law obeyed by a powerful actor?) States in the Union have widespread, powerful laws that govern how they interact with one another. That's why a federal system is not the same as many countries in the world. End of story.

[/quote]
No problem. Change the constitution and you're good to go. That's what Bush was trying to pull with his gay marriage thing. There's also a nation wide ban on stem cell research (I think). [/quote]

Sure you can change the Constitution, but you're going to need a lot more than 51% of the population to do it. There is not a nationwide stem cell research ban, and that ban was issued by executive order and only dealt with federal funds.

In any event, Ron Paul is only fooling himself if he thinks the civil war could be avoided by buying slaves. Slaves are not just "things" you can buy out. They were farm equipment. They were industrial machines. They drove the economy. Slavery was why the south could sell things at low costs and remain competitive. Outlawing it or trying to buy them out is like trying to outlaw or buy out industrial machinery. Yeah they get a lump sum payment, but what happens when industry falls on its face? They.... go back to Africa and get more slaves. Duh. If you buy the car I need to get to work, then obviously I'll go find another car to get the same work done.
The war had less to do with moral highground and more to do with not being able to compete. The guys in the north are like modern Americans with high wages. The slaves in the south are like modern Chinese workers. With costs that low, industry heads south.

Yes, Ron Paul was stupid and ignorant yet again.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005

No problem. Change the constitution and you're good to go. That's what Bush was trying to pull with his gay marriage thing. There's also a nation wide ban on stem cell research (I think).

Importation of slaves was forbidden by Article I, Section 9 of the Constitution, they couldn't have legally brought more in, they could only trade slaves already in the country or born in the country.

I don't really see how buying them could have worked either, but I'm sure the same downsides applied to other countries that bought and freed slaves as well, so obviously it can be done. Maybe in addition to buying the slaves, the governments of these countries provided subsidies to help mechanize industries that previously relied on their labor? Or maybe other countries just weren't nearly as dependent on slave labor as the southern US? I don't know, it's not a subject I've read much about, maybe other posters who are more knowledgeable about how other countries ended slavery could offer some insight about how feasible it would have been for the US.

edit: My bad Section 9 didn't prohibit it, it just said that Congress could prohibit it after 1808, which they did.

Last edited:

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
States' rights has to do with a lot more than race based issues. When Dr. Paul (and myself) mentions "States' rights", he means pretending the Federal Constitution is the Articles of Confederation (and the latter being the one which would have prevented slavery from continuing into the 19th Century, unlike the former).

There would be a lot less drug arrestees (of whom are disproportionately black) if everything was left to the States.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
The North did not use slavery as a justification for starting a war. This is a History 101 error.

I am also unaware that the slaves in the South were for sale, or that the Southerners would have been ok with selling them all and abolishing slavery either. Can you provide links for this?

In fact, the opposite is true. Lincoln was in favor of doing exactly what Paul claims should have been done to end slavery: offer compensation to free the slaves. The south ignored the proposal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compensated_emancipation

Note that this was actually done to free the slaves in Washington D.C.

Another reason that Paul has no idea what he's talking about.

- wolf

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I've been following this thread for a while. Seems strange to me that no one has commented on the oddity of a prominent politician standing at a podium in front of a confederate flag and allowing himself to be photographed. Strikes me as a major violation of the rules taught in Politics 101 class.

Fern

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
In fact, the opposite is true. Lincoln was in favor of doing exactly what Paul claims should have been done to end slavery: offer compensation to free the slaves. The south ignored the proposal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compensated_emancipation

Note that this was actually done to free the slaves in Washington D.C.

Another reason that Paul has no idea what he's talking about.

- wolf

I don't think you read my post? I said I was unaware that the slaves in the South were for sale, not that nobody in the North would have been willing to buy them. The fact that the South ignored the proposal only serves to prove my point further.

The idea that we could have just bought up all the slaves was and is a fantasy. If Ron Paul had made even a cursory effort to understand what he was talking about he would know this.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Does the discussion concerning the North buying slaves have to do with Mr Paul belief that property ownership, slaves, is more important than basic human rights?

Last edited:

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
I only have one question for the Ron Paul supporters. How would he get any of his ideas to become law if he was elected President? He won't have enough support from either the Republican or Democratic party to get anything passed.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I only have one question for the Ron Paul supporters. How would he get any of his ideas to become law if he was elected President? He won't have enough support from either the Republican or Democratic party to get anything passed.

very few of them would be, and as long as its repealing patriot act BS then its all good :p

didnt I say that already, that he would be mostly harmless because he wouldnt have the votes to do any of his crazy ideas?

it would mostly be a statement to the R and D's that we hate them

I threw a vote to bob barr due to him being the only 'candidate'(he wasnt really viable obviously) but really the only one who showed up that was against the patriot act

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
very few of them would be, and as long as its repealing patriot act BS then its all good :p

didnt I say that already, that he would be mostly harmless because he wouldnt have the votes to do any of his crazy ideas?

it would mostly be a statement to the R and D's that we hate them

I threw a vote to bob barr due to him being the only 'candidate'(he wasnt really viable obviously) but really the only one who showed up that was against the patriot act

I remember people saying the same thing about Mr George W Bush before the 2000 election and he got the US into two wars and a shit load of debt.

Aug 14, 2001
I've been following this thread for a while. Seems strange to me that no one has commented on the oddity of a prominent politician standing at a podium in front of a confederate flag and allowing himself to be photographed. Strikes me as a major violation of the rules taught in Politics 101 class.

Fern

It depends on your constituents. Obviously being filmed in front of the confederate flag would help Paul out with his constituents and he knows that the media won't really talk about this much so it won't hurt him with people who aren't racist and not aware of this situation.