Ron Paul Suspends 2012 Campaign

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I got the email. I don't blame him for not worrying about the primaries anymore because they're clearly rigged and have been for a long time.

If Romney gets the nomination, then he'll lose the true popular vote, but possibly win the E.V. since the votes won't even be counted on our shores.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I got the email. I don't blame him for not worrying about the primaries anymore because they're clearly rigged and have been for a long time.

He can quit so he does not lose. You cannot lose if you are not in the race.

If Romney gets the nomination, then he'll lose the true popular vote, but possibly win the E.V. since the votes won't even be counted on our shores.

Huh?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Ah yes, I am the one that is blind clearly. If you honest to god believe Paul has had no influence over the current debate on the Federal Reserve, Foriegn Policy, the constitution, personal liberties, and our current economic climate your delusional. It can be argued that the climate has transistioned more to Paul's views which is certainly plausible.

Also something not even mentioned were the state level party take overs and delegate totals. Your original argument over Paul not making much of a difference is completely absurd. It will be made painfully clear how much of a difference Paul has had on the GOP come time for the RNC in Tampa.

Is your wife an official within the CA party or is she just a registered republican?

She is part of the Republican apparatus amazingly just like she was part of the Democratic apparatus when we met... but lesser so then. Heck, I'm still a registered Republican and one is as good as another to me...

Don't get me wrong... I am sure Paul has influence over each and everyone who believes like he does... and in Congress he has his input...

I don't see his position at all being controlling on Romney's or the Republican Party over the long haul...
The Tea people have a niche and my wife agrees Paul is the most conservative voter on the planet in congress but that he really should have left the party in '87 and formed his own like Perot.

I think Paul is stymied by the Bachmans and Palins... they are anchors to him... but suspect he knows the presidency is going to only be from the two majors and I suspect his son is the focus of all his efforts...

I don't know what goes on in his head or his motivations today but it sure does seem likely that baby Paul being rather silent and all points to 2016.
At this point I'd vote for Paul the younger over Biden or Clinton but reserve my vote till then... ():)

You see Daddy Paul having a profound influence and I can't find that... Some perhaps but the entire party has moved Right and Paul still is at odds with it... The Texas 14th will miss him... But, like Ohio's 17th they'll find another. (Trafficant)

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I don't know what goes on in his head or his motivations today but it sure does seem likely that baby Paul being rather silent and all points to 2016.
At this point I'd vote for Paul the younger over Biden or Clinton but reserve my vote till then... ():)

Rand Paul is a younger, less screwed up version of Ron Paul. I like him far better.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
He quit the race, but since needs to keep the campaign in suspention until he pays his bills.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Rand Paul is a younger, less screwed up version of Ron Paul. I like him far better.

I frankly don't know much about the Younger Paul... but do have quite a history with listening to Biden in Judiciary and lately Foreign Affairs... And good grief he's VP now. I'd like to have seen Hillary by a 4 to 1 but that is Obama's fault... Hillary, well... I only know what little I know about her... Foster and The Rose Law firm and Whitewater the Travel gate and her stint in the Senate... The Presidency for her is a bridge too far.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

it's true, I keep hearing it doesn't matter who anyone actually votes for in the primary elections, all you have to do is show up to a meeting that no one knows about a couple months later to get delegates for your candidate like magic.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
No. That has always been one of the greater ironies of the Paulbot breed, standing for liberty through subverting democracy.

They're evolving democracy to a voting-free democracy. Isn't that better when the people vote badly? The Libertarians will give the people the government they deserve - isn't that better than the bad government people vote for? Republican already have a head start with their national campaign to strike millions of bad voters from elections.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I don't see the good Doctor believing he could make too much of a difference in this Republican process... He and everyone on the planet should be able to conclude this too...
My question is, Why?... Why has he devoted so much time to the Republican effort while he is basically from another Party...

Is he setting a stage for his son, the US Senator from Kentucky and MD like Daddy?
He can't possibly be trying to sway the thought process within the Republican Party...

This is an enigma.. He is an enigma...

I can't find the motive although every one of his supporters believe him to be the second coming figure of Politics... Can that be the partial base young Dr Paul will gain as he quests for the 2016 nomination for President....
By running so doggedly he advances his agenda within the Republican Party, builds up a network of donors, and hopefully builds a bit of a war chest which gives him leverage with future, more viable candidates.

Ron Paul does have amazingly dedicated followers. Personally I find him the antithesis of my own flavor of libertarian. We agree on streamlining a lot of the strangling regulatory jungle, but he wants to dissemble a lot of government that I consider necessary if often overzealous, like the EPA, while supporting the Republican Party's social conservatism. Wholesale disassembly of the government in conjunction with socially restrictive policies seems to me to be a losing proposition; we're struggling just to slow the rate of growth of government, let alone cut out even the massively failing parts like the Department of Education, and moving quickly toward socially libertarian policies like gays in the military, broader abortion rights, and gay marriage. Dr. Paul seems to me to have taken the diametrically opposite positions within the larger libertarian philosophy, and as such I won't be sad to see him go.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I find it hilarious how folks refuse to truly understand what he is doing. Should I start a thread titled "Ron Paul DID NOT suspend his campaign" to get the point across?

There is no reason he should spend millions to actively try to win a popular vote that does not mean anything when he would get outspent 20 to 1 and have absolutely no coverage what so ever.

His plan since late 2011 was to work the delegates. After seeing incredible wins in every state that has completed the process of delegate allocation it was time to double down on a successful strategy as opposed to the beauty contests.