Ron Paul Suspends 2012 Campaign

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
5-14-2012

http://news.yahoo.com/ron-paul-embraces-reality-stops-campaigning-states-not-184349576.html

Ron Paul Embraces Reality, Stops Campaigning in States That Have Not Voted

Ron Paul sent an e-mail to supporters Monday saying he would stop campaigning in states that haven't voted yet:

As I reflect on our 2012 Presidential campaign, I am humbled by the supporters who have worked so hard and sacrificed so much. And I am so proud of what we have accomplished. We will not stop until we have restored what once made America the greatest country in human history.

This campaign fought hard and won electoral success that the talking heads and pundits never thought possible. But, this campaign is also about more than just the 2012 election. It has been part of a quest I began 40 years ago and that so many have joined. It is about the campaign for Liberty, which has taken a tremendous leap forward in this election and will continue to grow stronger in the future until we finally win.

Our campaign will continue to work in the state convention process. We will continue to take leadership positions, win delegates, and carry a strong message to the Republican National Convention that Liberty is the way of the future.

Moving forward, however, we will no longer spend resources campaigning in primaries in states that have not yet voted. Doing so with any hope of success would take many tens of millions of dollars we simply do not have.

I encourage all supporters of Liberty to make sure you get to the polls and make your voices heard, particularly in the local, state, and Congressional elections, where so many defenders of Freedom are fighting and need your support.

I hope all supporters of Liberty will remain deeply involved - become delegates, win office, and take leadership positions. I will be right there with you. In the coming days, my campaign leadership will lay out to you our delegate strategy and what you can do to help, so please stay tuned.
For Liberty,
Ron Paul.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Waiting for the posts from the usual suspects that he's stopped campaigning because he won.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I knew it wouldn't take long for this to be posted. They are reallocating their money and time in the delegate fight after seeing massive success during pretty much every state convention. They have suspended active campaigning in the states that have yet to vote, they have not suspended their campaign.

I've been mentioning this for awhile now, Paul is playing the delegate game and throwing millions of dollars at states he probably will not win the popular vote in is not politically or financially smart.

One of the main factors contributing to this was the recent state conventions over the weekend. The Paul campaign did not have anyone there and while Paul supporters saw success it was not very coordinated. They are abandoning the beauty contest and throwing most of their resources to these grassroots takeovers of state GOP parties.

Paul will already be nominated from the floor in Tampa, he has the 5 states needed and I can promise people there is going to be all types of activity at the convention. I seriously doubt it will go smoothly.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As I ask, given the Ron Paul Statement of "Moving forward, however, we will no longer spend resources campaigning in primaries in states that have not yet voted. Doing so with any hope of success would take many tens of millions of dollars we simply do not have."

Now that Ron Paul will be out of office in 2013 and be nothing but a private citizen, what will happen to his huge campaign war chest he scammed out of Paul Bots over the years who gave and gave while Ron Paul's campaigns never spent much of it.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The grassroots effort to secure delegates is going to make the party convetion a damn zoo.Nobody truely knows how many delegates romney or Paul carrying right now. I am going to enjoy every second of the debacle as well :D

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
ignoring the delegate shenanigans, did Ron Paul ever win a straight up and down popular vote in a state?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The grassroots effort to secure delegates is going to make the party convetion a damn zoo.Nobody truely knows how many delegates romney or Paul carrying right now. I am going to enjoy every second of the debacle as well :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When none of that happens, GenX, maybe I will lend you a barf bag if you ask nicely.

Abraxas

Golden Member
Oct 26, 2004
ignoring the delegate shenanigans, did Ron Paul ever win a straight up and down popular vote in a state?

No. That has always been one of the greater ironies of the Paulbot breed, standing for liberty through subverting democracy.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
As I ask, given the Ron Paul Statement of "Moving forward, however, we will no longer spend resources campaigning in primaries in states that have not yet voted. Doing so with any hope of success would take many tens of millions of dollars we simply do not have."

Now that Ron Paul will be out of office in 2013 and be nothing but a private citizen, what will happen to his huge campaign war chest he scammed out of Paul Bots over the years who gave and gave while Ron Paul's campaigns never spent much of it.

So Paul is pocketing huge piles of cash to buy gold with? Please, he put the vast majority back into his campaign much of which is always released to the public. What Paul has accomplished during both races frankly with the little money he does have has been outstanding.

Money to Delegate ratios are going to be ridiculous compared to either Obama or Romney.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
No. That has always been one of the greater ironies of the Paulbot breed, standing for liberty through subverting democracy.

That's how the system is setup, it allows the citizens who are very politically active and knowledgable of the issues to take part. Absolutely nothing is stopping general GOP voters of doing the exact same thing. They just don't care, they watch Fox, get informed, go vote then go home. The Paul people stay, we are not a democracy. If it was setup for a majority rule then there would be no point in delegates.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009

Nope, it's impossible given a 20 to 1 spending difference and media blackout. For instance 5 minutes after this email was released everyone in MSM covered it, labeled it wrong and rolled with it. Yet tens of thousands at rallies, huge delegate wins and party take overs are not covered in the slightest.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

In what way are they subverting democracy? The party sets the rules on delegate selection. They are simply following the rules.

Abraxas

Golden Member
Oct 26, 2004
That's how the system is setup, it allows the citizens who are very politically active and knowledgable of the issues to take part. Absolutely nothing is stopping general GOP voters of doing the exact same thing. They just don't care, they watch Fox, get informed, go vote then go home. The Paul people stay, we are not a democracy. If it was setup for a majority rule then there would be no point in delegates.

Let's say hypothetically he manages to shenanigan his may to the nomination. You seriously wouldn't have a problem with someone being the nominee who was rejected by the voters of every single state in America, in many cases badly, in favor of someone who lawyered their way to victory using loopholes and exploits in the delegate system?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When none of that happens, GenX, maybe I will lend you a barf bag if you ask nicely.

And here I expected you to be excited for a debacle of a party convention. Guess you want the republicans to have a smooth ride off into the presidential election?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Let's say hypothetically he manages to shenanigan his may to the nomination. You seriously wouldn't have a problem with someone being the nominee who was rejected by the voters of every single state in America, in many cases badly, in favor of someone who lawyered their way to victory using loopholes and exploits in the delegate system?

They didnt lawyer their way nor use loopholes. Unless you consider following the rule on how delegates are selected as a "loophole". Which would be a hilarious observation.

Now if you want to talk about subverting the system. There are a couple of instances where the Republican leadership broke their own rules to stop Ron paul supporters from selecting delegates.
There is an instance of this that has happened in Missouri and more recently Tulsa.

Abraxas

Golden Member
Oct 26, 2004
In what way are they subverting democracy? The party sets the rules on delegate selection. They are simply following the rules.

By doing an end run around the voters of the party in order to get their candidate of choice in. The Republican voter has by majority made their intentions clear, the Paulbots would undermine that to run their own candidate on the Republican ticket, voters be damned. How is that not subverting democracy?

Also, as a note, that the rules allow democracy to be subverted does not change that democracy is being subverted in this very, very, hypothetical hypothetical.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I'm not exactly sure if I would call it subverting democracy but it would be acting contrary to the spirit of democracy. They would be installing their preferred candidate who (barely) won a single nominating contest (i think?) over another candidate nominated by a pretty major majority of their party. It's not that it would be illegal or whatever, but it's pretty contrary to the spirit and purpose of the exercise.

Regardless, I predict that Ron Paul and his delegates fall into line with shocking rapidity at the convention. He has great aspirations for his son and unless he is able to totally take over the Republican Party (very unlikely), the party will be sure he pays an enormous price.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
After winning all those other states already, there was no point in continuing the campaign in the remaining states ;)

Abraxas

Golden Member
Oct 26, 2004
They didnt lawyer their way nor use loopholes. Unless you consider following the rule on how delegates are selected as a "loophole". Which would be a hilarious observation.
It is. The intent was that delegates would be issued to candidates on a proportional basis to the votes they receive. That the Paulbots found a way to circumvent that to get their guy extra points is close to the definition of rules lawyering your way to victory.
Now if you want to talk about subverting the system. There are a couple of instances where the Republican leadership broke their own rules to stop Ron paul supporters from selecting delegates.
There is an instance of this that has happened in Missouri and more recently Tulsa.

Yes, well, you won't catch me defending the Republican leadership about anything.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
By doing an end run around the voters of the party in order to get their candidate of choice in. The Republican voter has by majority made their intentions clear, the Paulbots would undermine that to run their own candidate on the Republican ticket, voters be damned. How is that not subverting democracy?

Also, as a note, that the rules allow democracy to be subverted does not change that democracy is being subverted in this very, very, hypothetical hypothetical.

It isnt an end around. And I dont consider it subverting anything. The party set the rules on delegate selection. If the republican party doesnt like the system they erected. Then they should change it. Not cry fould that it is being used properly by a candidates supporters to get him more delegates than meaningless elections say he should get.