Romney promises to give his salary to charity if elected President

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Wait...moonbogg actually believes the tax reduction provided by giving to charity balances out the amount of money given to charity?

moonbogg, you have not paid feeral income taxes yet, have you?

Wow, calling someone an asshole for promising to give $400,000 a year to charity...what a piece of work you are!

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Smart move by Romney. This impacts him as much as you or me dropping a quarter into a Salvation Army kettle, and it might buy him a vote or two from those too stupid to realize that.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Cool now they can buy another one of these...

mormon.jpg

that can go next to all the other church's other domination build..this is nothing unique.

the Mormon church is messed up (grew up in it) but one t hing it does well is charity work. from local to large scale charity's .

those bitching because Romney is offering to give his pay to charity why? just because he makes a bunch (btw so does Obama). why are so many pissed and hatefull over how much money romney makes. frankly that's the least reason to hate him. there are so many many more..

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
What "terrific example" would that be?

Romney is worth a quarter of a billion dollars and earns the equivalent of the president's salary through his investments every week. This is an empty gesture except to the gullible.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
What "terrific example" would that be?

Romney is worth a quarter of a billion dollars and earns the equivalent of the president's salary through his investments every week. This is an empty gesture except to the gullible.

Jealousy much?

I'm guess your response as well as most on here doesn't change if Romney keeps the salary money. Honestly why doesn't he just keep it for all the good its doing him to give it away. Haters gonna hate.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Jealousy much?

I'm guess your response as well as most on here doesn't change if Romney keeps the salary money. Haters gonna hate.

Try responding rationally.

I'm not jealous of Romney and I don't hate him because he has a lot of money. I simply recognize from a simple, mathematical, factual standpoint that him offering to give up this salary has zero impact on him and is therefore not any sort of a sacrifice for which he should deserve great adulation.

Especially since he's doing it to try to win votes.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
This is a publicity stunt, pure and simple. He could give his salary to charity without making a big announcement about it. It sure as heck won't entail any meaningful sacrifice on his part due to his massive wealth/investments. His salary is a drop in the bucket compared to those.

Also, Matthew 6 has some interesting things to say about that...

When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites* do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.

:whiste:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
those bitching because Romney is offering to give his pay to charity why? just because he makes a bunch (btw so does Obama). why are so many pissed and hatefull over how much money romney makes. frankly that's the least reason to hate him. there are so many many more..

I'm not bitching, pissed or hateful about it, I just recognize that it's a PR stunt, just another form of campaign spending to sway voters.

He's worth as much as $250 million, and that's after moving $100 million into a trust fund to dodge estate and gift taxes.

If you figure even a 3% return on investments, he's adding another $8-10 million every year after paying 15% capital gains taxes.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
He's always done this, whether as head of the SLC Olympics or MA Gov. It's expected and I highly doubt he will do it thinking it gets any votes.

Fern

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeah its nothing new. i also don't see it as a big deal either way. so he is giving his pay to charity. it won't make me vote for him and it don't make me hate it.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Cool!

Is that Mormon Disneyland?

That's where good Mormons who give 10% of their gross income to the church can go into secret rooms and perform secret ceremonies like baptizing the dead. Up until 1990 they had to simulate slitting their own throats and disemboweling themselves as punishment if they told anyone what they do there.

What's a great chuckle is that these ceremonies are required to get to heaven. Don't pay up? You get no temple recommend which means you cannot perform the weird ceremonies, which means you can't go to heaven. God needs that money to purchase shopping malls.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Cool now they can buy another one of these...

The mormon temples are funded by private donations of their members, not charitable contributions. But keep up the childish ranting and raving, it makes you look real mature.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
If you know how much somebody gave then they have their reward for giving. They didn't give, they made a business deal, something for something.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Many on the Left have a creepy and seemingly perverse interest in Romney's money.

Fern

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Many on the Left have a creepy and seemingly perverse interest in Romney's money.

It does matter when someone with $350 million might help decide how the rich will (or won't) be taxed.

It also matters in considering how he'll treat the 47% that he considers leeches since they only earn enough to pay SS and sales taxes but not federal.

It also matters in guessing how he'll deal with trade policy if he has tens or hundreds of millions invested in businesses outside of the US.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
The mormon temples are funded by private donations of their members, not charitable contributions. But keep up the childish ranting and raving, it makes you look real mature.

IIRC, no one in the mormon church actually receives a salary? They're supposed to provide for themselves?

It does matter when someone with $350 million might help decide how the rich will (or won't) be taxed.

It also matters in considering how he'll treat the 47% that he considers leeches since they only earn enough to pay SS and sales taxes but not federal.

It also matters in guessing how he'll deal with trade policy if he has tens or hundreds of millions invested in businesses outside of the US.

Yes, because he is crazy for suggesting tax cuts across the board while also closing up deductions and sounds like he is willing to work with congress to decide what cuts to make.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
IIRC, no one in the mormon church actually receives a salary? They're supposed to provide for themselves?

Yes, because he is crazy for suggesting tax cuts across the board while also closing up deductions and sounds like he is willing to work with the republican side of congress to decide what cuts to make.

Fixed that for you.;)