Romney facing ethics 'complaint' for hiding $15M in profits from auto bailout

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Is this a statement of fact? What I am reading is this is an allegation from the UAW.

I'd be interested to see the proof.

That's specifically why I included "if this is true." Until there's proof, it's meaningless & shouldn't be used to influence any decisions.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The point isn't that he profited by 15 million dollars (if this is true.) Congrats to him if he did within the rules of the game - only an idiot would turn down profits like that.

The point is that he failed to disclose that information.

A lot of us "failed to disclose" our virginity on these forums. :rolleyes:

The wording makes you think that there was some disclosure requirement that there was not. It's deliberately deceptive and preys on people who aren't financially savvy. No one is saying that you can get rich while ignoring $15 million here and there. They are saying that if you made a big "disclosure" deal out of every $15 million, you'd never get to his level. Disclosures are sometimes legally required and sometimes ethically required. This was neither because there was no conflict of interest.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The amount is more likely lumped in with everything else.

One should ask how would these Dem attack dogs know the details of his finances.

Sounds like the stunt that Reid tried previously; innuendo and never put up the proof.

If there was such documentation the attack dogs would have posted such to bring down Romney vs spreading rumors.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
in the 3 election cycles I've been posting in P&N, my liberal leanings are pretty consistent. if you're going to call me a Republican hack, find some posts of me supporting Republican policies... I'm pro-gay marriage, anti-military spending, pro-universal healthcare, and pro civil liberties. I couldn't tell you the last Republican I voted for. but I don't think it's being a "hack" to question the point of an anti-Romney complaint put out by pro-Obama groups 3 days before the election.

I've actually never once seen you make a pro-Democrat post ever since Hillary was defeated by Obama in the primaries. At best it's been backhanded compliments akin to "took you long enough" when Obama finally signed an order to repeal DADT.

I don't think you're a Republican, but I think it's time to take your Hillary poster down from your wall. Until 2016 anyways. ;)

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
This thread is exactly why this forum as well as this country has become a political cesspool. Someone questions the legitimacy of something and everyone attacks him instead of what he says. On top of that, the tactics used are ridiculous playground rules trying to tell him he isn't part of the "cool kids" group. Pathetic.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Originally Posted by Vic Vega
Is this a statement of fact? What I am reading is this is an allegation from the UAW.

I'd be interested to see the proof.

When I find it on 15-20 different websites, it gives it more weight than if some random p&n momo just made a random accusation.

Using simple logic and knowing that ol' mitt likes to run scams in other areas could lead one to believe it's likely to be true.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Mittens only profited $15 million? If he truly believed in the auto industry, he should have profited $150 million.

:D

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
unions bought and paid for by the Obama campaign are filing complaints about Mitt Romney?

/this

as much as i dislike Romney i wan't proof...then we can nail him to the wall.

but taking the UAW's word on this? lol yeah sure.. That would be like taking Fox news word that Obama is a muslim..

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
When I find it on 15-20 different websites, it gives it more weight than if some random p&n momo just made a random accusation.

Using simple logic and knowing that ol' mitt likes to run scams in other areas could lead one to believe it's likely to be true.

15-20 sites and you picked HuffPo? You must HATE being taken seriously. :D

Anyway, you are still running with the base assumption that there was some wrong-doing just because of the way they framed it. It doesn't matter how many like-minded people take it and run with it, it does not make it suddenly meaningful.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
15-20 sites and you picked HuffPo? You must HATE being taken seriously. :D
Anyway, you are still running with the base assumption that there was some wrong-doing just because of the way they framed it. It doesn't matter how many like-minded people take it and run with it, it does not make it suddenly meaningful.

Want me to post the yahoo link too?

Or are you not capable of simply going to google and typing ' Romney Ethics ' and seeing all of the results?

Do you think Obama was born in Kenya?

Given the fact that Romney has shown he's more than capable of said behavior, it's not crazy to consider it to be probable.

Maybe he's really keeping all his unreported, untaxed funds on planet Kolob.

Last edited:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I've actually never once seen you make a pro-Democrat post ever since Hillary was defeated by Obama in the primaries. At best it's been backhanded compliments akin to "took you long enough" when Obama finally signed an order to repeal DADT.

I don't think you're a Republican, but I think it's time to take your Hillary poster down from your wall. Until 2016 anyways. ;)

in fairness, what have the Democrats really done to be pro- about? ;)

it was easy to get into the cheer-leading partisan games when they were simply the anti-Bush; less so with the legislative and moral failures they've got hanging around their necks right now.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Given the fact that Romney has shown he's more than capable of said behavior, it's not crazy to consider it to be probable.

Maybe he's really keeping all his unreported, untaxed funds on planet Kolob.

Fact or opinion?

Did you ask Romney to take the 5th on such?

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010

it was easy to get into the cheer-leading partisan games when they were simply the anti-Bush; less so with the legislative and moral failures they've got hanging around their necks right now.

At least anti bush people stood for something. Anti obama right wingers simply want him out of office because he's black and rubs them the wrong way.

Many of obama's actions have been exactly the same as bush and you have people who were previously pro bush suddenly anti obama despite the actions being the same.

It's just a fact that alot of you back woods folks yearn for a white president.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
At least anti bush people stood for something. Anti obama right wingers simply want him out of office because he's black and rubs them the wrong way.

Many of obama's actions have been exactly the same as bush and you have people who were previously pro bush suddenly anti obama despite the actions being the same.

er, not sure race factors into it at all...

when you've got Conservatives hating Obama for the same policies they supported Bush doing, they're probably Republican partisan hacks.

when you've got Liberals supporting Obama for the same policies they hated Bush doing, they're probably Democrat partisan hacks.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000

Unfortunately true. I'm a liberal by nature and watching self-identifying liberals even up here in Canada is an exercise in testing your ability to withstand mental depression. I suppose this is how real conservatives feel about the Republican party.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

More like a president that is not determined to play Robin Hood and believes in what he says.

Transparency
Lobbyists
Clean up Wall Street
Waiting time for public opinion on bills
No increase in taxes on the middle class

You try to factor race into your arguments because the arguments are unable to stand on their own.
Are you going to take the 5th on that?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
More like a president that is not determined to play Robin Hood and believes in what he says.

Transparency
Lobbyists
Clean up Wall Street
Waiting time for public opinion on bills
No increase in taxes on the middle class

You try to factor race into your arguments because the arguments are unable to stand on their own.

Are you saying he hasn't done those things or he has gone far enough with them. There is a difference.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Transparency - never saw it
Lobbyists- failed on/since Day one to keep them out of the admin
Clean up Wall Street - Still dirty - unsure how much was actually cleaned up
Waiting time for public opinion on bills - never saw it
No increase in taxes on the middle class - Obama care for one

Are you saying he hasn't done those things or he has gone far enough with them. There is a difference.

bold comments.

The only one that I know that he has not gone far enough is Wall Street.

The others failed out of the starting block.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Just because you aren't aware of something doesn't mean nothing was done. And what exactly is romneys stance on each issue?

Transparency: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/war_stories/2011/04/file_under_failure.single.html

Lobbyists: failure doesn't equal inaction. Again what's romneys position?

http://mobile.usnews.com/opinion/bl...ma-discovers-lobbyists-are-hard-to-get-rid-of

Regarding waiting time for public opinion, I can't find anything on it, whether it was even a promise he made or not. Does Romney have a policy on this?

Taxes have not gone up, they might but they haven't. Romney has pledged not to raise taxes on the middle class but his tax policy either requires that one of his promises be broken, either taxes for the middle class go up or the deficit gets bigger.

The point though, none of those things show that Obama doesn't believe in what he says nor does it show some "robin hood" type attitude. And it most definitely doesn't show why Romney would be better for any of those causes.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006

BS the man destroyed the economy . 4 years it took him to do what took bush 8 years to do. He hasn't kept any promises not 1. Obummer care isn't what was promised . It was done in secret he promised openness. He said all would have time to read . Hell the lawmakers didn't even read it befor they signed on. Than he said he would cut the debt in half by 2012 or wouldn't run again . This guy is complete liar . The Perfect Messiah for the demons

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Its sad that the demons keep singing praises of this guy , They can't even say what good he has done, Because he hasn't. They can't even link back to 2008 speeches because they know they will reveal his lies rather than any kept promise , The guy is the biggest failure of all time . Even more so than NIMROD ruler of the perfect social society. that fail in 1 generation

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Just because you aren't aware of something doesn't mean nothing was done. And what exactly is romneys stance on each issue?

Transparency: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/war_stories/2011/04/file_under_failure.single.html

Lobbyists: failure doesn't equal inaction. Again what's romneys position?

http://mobile.usnews.com/opinion/bl...ma-discovers-lobbyists-are-hard-to-get-rid-of

Regarding waiting time for public opinion, I can't find anything on it, whether it was even a promise he made or not. Does Romney have a policy on this?

Taxes have not gone up, they might but they haven't. Romney has pledged not to raise taxes on the middle class but his tax policy either requires that one of his promises be broken, either taxes for the middle class go up or the deficit gets bigger.

The point though, none of those things show that Obama doesn't believe in what he says nor does it show some "robin hood" type attitude. And it most definitely doesn't show why Romney would be better for any of those causes.

I do not state the Romney is better.

I just pointed out that what Obama stated; he failed at badly.

He did not deliver the items that I pointed out.
And those were most of the main selling points that he used.
Along with the ones that were obvious lies or dreams - cutting the deficit.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I do not state the Romney is better.

I just pointed out that what Obama stated; he failed at badly.

He did not deliver the items that I pointed out.
And those were most of the main selling points that he used.
Along with the ones that were obvious lies or dreams - cutting the deficit.

No you didn't state that Romney was better but you implied it when you said this;

That implies that you think Romney has those qualities (this is a thread about Romney after all).
But again, none of the things you pointed to shows that Obama doesn't believe in what he said.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
<snip>
But again, none of the things you pointed to shows that Obama doesn't believe in what he said.

If he did not believe it; then why state it and pound on them to differentiate himself w/ respect to the hope and change issue.

McCain was not making such statements.

Then Obama goes up the steps of the White House with a lobbyist arm and arm.

He knew in advance what he was going to do which was lie to the American people on things that he easily had control over.

The only one that he had no control over was the deficit; he knew that and still made the statement.

witgh regard to romney, I stated my opinion about this BS in the earlier posts.

It is a smear job that the Dems do not have to account for.
Romney files his paperwork properly; it is just that the color of ink is not what the union/Dems want to see.

Last edited: