Romney adviser admitting Romney's going to change his positions after the primary

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/...ositions-like-an-etch-a-sketch-after-primary/

During an interview on CNN, John Fugelsang asked Romney Communications Director Eric Fehrnstrom if an extended primary against Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum would “force the governor to tack so far to the right it would hurt him with moderate voters in the general election?”

“I think you hit a reset button for the fall campaign,” Fehrnstrom replied. “Everything changes.”

“It’s almost like an Etch A Sketch,” he added. “You can kind of shake it up and restart all of over again.”

Hahahahahaha, oh my god, that's just priceless... comparing Romney's principles to an etch a sketch.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
In all fairness, it's widely understood that this is exactly how the game is played by both parties: pander to your ideological fringe during the primaries, pander to the center during the election campaign. The Etch-A-Sketch metaphor is hilarious, however. I can see that being used in anti-Romney ads.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
that is so awesome.

I hope that all of the junk Romney is saying to Republican primary voters is just to get their votes. Those people are just not right in the head. They care more about abortion than about real issues.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
In all fairness, it's widely understood that this is exactly how the game is played by both parties: pander to your ideological fringe during the primaries, pander to the center during the election campaign. The Etch-A-Sketch metaphor is hilarious, however. I can see that being used in anti-Romney ads.

I don't think it's the same actually, and i think Romney has to go way further out to the right than his actual positions that he has held before (especially when he was governer of Massachusetts).

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
I certainly hope they do. I would assume people prioritizing infanticide over gas prices is a healthy act.

I promise I won't threadjack.

The funny thing is that when Roe v Wade first happened, Jerry falwell and Pat Robertson didn't care and said it wasn't a concern of theirs.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you.

It's just with Romney it will be like he normal campaign mode.

ky54

Mar 30, 2010
This must be your first political campaign. Here's another insider secret - when he gets elected he probably won't enact everything he campaigned on.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I didn't bother with the link-did the advisor put a limit as to how many times Romney will change his position on any particular issue? My guess is he will state at least three "firm" positions on every issue-one for the tea partiers, one for the moral authoritarians aka christian conservatives and one pandering to unaffiliated/undiecided voters.

Also, will he impose a time limit between opinion changes? Say one hour or so, enough time for deep introspective thinking (along with consulting the latest poll numbers).

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Heck, Obama did the same.

Why would you think any politician will be different. They tell the target audience what is expected to be heard.

After all, 50% of the US bought the CHANGE line hook, line and sinker.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

Why would you think any politician will be different. They tell the target audience what is expected to be heard.

Obama went from having conservative positions to liberal ones?

ky54

Mar 30, 2010

Is saying that you'd nuke Pakistan a liberal position? Funny but the excoriated Goldwater yet nary a peep when Obama said it.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Hahahahahaha, oh my god, that's just priceless... comparing Romney's principles to an etch a sketch.

Whatever it takes for them to continue to expand government under the Bush / Obama legacy. Romney never has been and never will be a conservative.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002

Too bad the republicans wouldn't let the CHANGE happen. But we know how the repubs feel about change. ;)

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I don't think it's the same actually, and i think Romney has to go way further out to the right than his actual positions that he has held before (especially when he was governer of Massachusetts).
Which time? Romney's been all over the board over the last year, trying desperately to find a message that sells with the Republican base.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Romney will go from having conservative positions to moderate positions.

just like Obama went from having liberal positions to moderate positions (ending the war in Iraq, the Public Option, closing Guantanamo, encouraging openness in government, etc)

regardless of what positions they actually take, Republicans will still label Obama as the most liberal President in history and I'm sure Democrats will still label Romney as the most right-wing candidate to run for President in history.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I'm sure Democrats will still label Romney as the most right-wing candidate to run for President in history.

That's yet to be seen, but I doubt it if he wants to win against Obama. He better distance himself from most of Santorum's positions or he can kiss a majority of the independant women's vote goodbye.

Last edited:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Is saying that you'd nuke Pakistan a liberal position? Funny but the excoriated Goldwater yet nary a peep when Obama said it.
I'm just curious, have you ever made any comment about Obama or the left that is factually accurate? You seem to do nothing but parrot Limbaugh propaganda, almost all of which is blatant lies.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
Romney will go from having conservative positions to moderate positions.

just like Obama went from having liberal positions to moderate positions (ending the war in Iraq, the Public Option, closing Guantanamo, encouraging openness in government, etc)

regardless of what positions they actually take, Republicans will still label Obama as the most liberal President in history and I'm sure Democrats will still label Romney as the most right-wing candidate to run for President in history.

I think most liberals are actually bemused by Romney, maybe even slightly charmed.

That's the impression I get from Gail Collins.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
As opposed to Obama which would have to be the Speak & Spell.

Romney is a mechanical device that can easily erase and change his positions based on what the user wants to see, and so is Etch a sketch.