Roger Ebert on the Last Airbender

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
The Toronto Sun gave it a 1/5. The highest rating on Metacritic is a 63/100 with the average score being 25/100. Sounds like I'd rather see Twilight!

It's a really rotten summer for movies.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Shamalamdingdong hasn't made a good film since Unbreakable IMO, and even then, that was barely worth calling good.

M.Night.Failan.png

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I give the trailer A++++ would watch again. I will till I can get it for $1 at redbox.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
"The Last Airbender squanders the potential of its popular source material on an incomprehensible plot, laughable dialogue, and a joyless sense of detachment."

For all the badness that this movie is ... people, even people within this thread will go squander their hard-earned money and irreplaceable time going to watch this shlock. It's a sad indictment of our society when movies like this are made and make money ... and this movie WILL make money. Why? because the world is full of sad, detached people who are ultimately disappointed with life. These people's expectations (of what life could have been) are not being met so they go see these crappy movies to escape and be "entertained".

It's quite sad ...

I'll get it through Netflix and then I won't have to be ultimately dissappointed with life.

Jun 18, 2000
Really the only one that was a flop was Lady in the Water (good lord that was awful) and even that one earned more than its production budget: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=shyamalan.htm even The Happening made over $160 million worldwide on a $48 million budget. He's been making money consistently on almost all his films. Village made over $260 worlwide and Signs was over $400!

KT
That's funny. Each movie made less at the box office then the movie before it. It's almost as if people are wising up to the fact that M. Night's movies are fucking terrible.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
You guys had high hopes? Up until now I didn't know this atrocious movie existed.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
don't care, still going to go watch it with my daughter, we blew through the entire animated series over the course of 2 weekends so we're hyped to see it in live action.

daughter is 5yo btw

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
I saw the movie the other night and didn't like a few things. It was obvious that they were going to use the AIR/FIRE/WATER/EARTH to have the audience choose a side.

I also did not like the AVATAR. Does anyone remember a very popular movie called AVATAR that came out a few months ago? They could not come up with a new name? They had to use the name of a popular movie? I hope the AVATAR movie sues them!

Lastly, they make another movie reference. Zarcoff. If you are old enough, you would remember the bad guy in Flash Gordon as Dr. Zarcoff. Coincidence? I think not. I don't like movies that try and leach off the popularity of other movies.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
I saw the movie the other night and didn't like a few things. It was obvious that they were going to use the AIR/FIRE/WATER/EARTH to have the audience choose a side.

I also did not like the AVATAR. Does anyone remember a very popular movie called AVATAR that came out a few months ago? They could not come up with a new name? They had to use the name of a popular movie? I hope the AVATAR movie sues them!

Lastly, they make another movie reference. Zarcoff. If you are old enough, you would remember the bad guy in Flash Gordon as Dr. Zarcoff. Coincidence? I think not. I don't like movies that try and leach off the popularity of other movies.

I can't tell if this is obvious trolling or obvious ignorance...

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001

I'm pretty sure that the "Avatar" name was used for the Airbender cartoon far before the James Cameron movie used it...

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
I'm pretty sure that the "Avatar" name was used for the Airbender cartoon far before the James Cameron movie used it...

This. The cartoon launched in 2005 and had been in work since 2001.

Cameron sued though to keep the name Avatar exclusive to his Dances with Wolves meets Smurfs meets Ferngully movie.

I didn't hold out much hope for Shamalamadingdong doing a proper treatment of the animated series. I was hoping though that he would take this opportunity to liven up the dialogue and actors given the source material. Apparently, that didn't happen.

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005

Yep, but if you want to be technical Cameron wrote Avatar back in 1994. Just so happens he made his movie before M Night made his.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Yep, but if you want to be technical Cameron wrote Avatar back in 1994. Just so happens he made his movie before M Night made his.

Hmm, I wonder where he got his inspiration from back around that time... :hmm:
pocahontas-2.jpg

:D

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
My friend who likes Shamalan says this is the worst movie ever and that the bad reviews are right on.

Wow.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Final nail in the coffin for M. Night IMO.

I saw this as his last chance before he gets the official boot out of hollywood.

The hasn't hasn't made anything even close to the level of The 6th Sense and that was a long time ago now.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
This dude's spiral down the toilet is like clock work:

1999 Sixth Sense (8.2)
>
2000 Unbreakable (7.3)
>
2002 Signs (6.9)
>
2004 Village (6.6)
>
2006 Lady In Water (5.8) - no idea how it has a rating that high but whatever, it fits the trend
>
2008 Happening (5.2)

Last edited: