News Roe v. Wade overturned

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Also Alito's opinion says that the real answer to this is democracy, with citizens voting in representatives to enact their favored policies. Oh also Alito has no problem with those elected representatives gerrymandering districts so badly that the opposition can never gain power.

What a stirring appeal to the power of democracy - it's the noble solution to this problem but feel free to rig it so you can never lose.

His explanation that this is fine because women can still vote is like saying it's ok to reverse Brown because black people can still vote. Though neither of those things are "traditionally" the case per his logic so maybe aren't really as protected as the public wrongly assumes...

Reactions: DarthKyrie

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
We say this all the damn time…and then white suburban women vote red and 18-30s don’t bother showing up and keep sulking.
Oh I think the slumbering will have their eyes opened up finally. Thanks Alito.
Edit: Third time is the charm. they, there, their

Last edited:

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Lolwhat??? I keep hearing about making contraceptives illegal. Biden answering questions before boarding AF1. Apparently this came up during nomination hearing of Bork.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Lolwhat??? I keep hearing about making contraceptives illegal. Biden answering questions before boarding AF1. Apparently this came up during nomination hearing of Bork.
Pubs tried it in some states. Lookup those personhood bills

Reactions: Pohemi

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Some Republicans recently have spoken out against Griswold v Connecticut which was the ruling that protects access to contraception under the premise of right to privacy. Roe v Wade was based largely on right to privacy as well. The number of rulings that could be overturned if this court is saying that right to privacy doesn't exist is enormous and scary.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
I live in a solid blue state in the north east, so I'm not terribly concerned about this affecting my daughter's life... But maybe it could. Can someone tell me - If she was say pregnant (whether she did or did not know) and was flying or traveling through a red state that bans abortion outright and she has a medical emergency requiring either aborting the fetus/baby or she dies, is she just 100% screwed? What if she's a working professional and pregnant, flies to Texas for example, for business and while there, needs a life saving procedure which would (sadly) end the child's life, but if not done... she will die? Does that count as abortion or a medical procedure outside of that law?

I'm trying to decide if I need to be upset/concerned or just roll my eyes at yet another page in the American Disaster book.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Take a look at Griswold v Connecticut. This came up during Bork's confirmation and helped sink him, among other reasons.

Several GOP senators have recently said that Griswold was wrongly decided. This is a real thing.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I live in a solid blue state in the north east, so I'm not terribly concerned about this affecting my daughter's life... But maybe it could. Can someone tell me - If she was say pregnant (whether she did or did not know) and was flying or traveling through a red state that bans abortion outright and she has a medical emergency requiring either aborting the fetus/baby or she dies, is she just 100% screwed? What if she's a working professional and pregnant, flies to Texas for example, for business and while there, needs a life saving procedure which would (sadly) end the child's life, but if not done... she will die? Does that count as abortion or a medical procedure outside of that law?

I'm trying to decide if I need to be upset/concerned or just roll my eyes at yet another page in the American Disaster book.

If abortion is banned without exception in TX (as is likely) and she would die without one then she would die. We're re-entering an era where crossing state lines will have increasingly large impacts on what a person's freedoms are to an extent not seen in decades.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Roberts says leak is legit. Said it doesn’t represent final decision.

My guess is the leak came from a liberal leaning staffer. Original vote was 5-4 with the majority electing to have Alto write the opinion. Given the language used, someone was so shocked they leaked the document. This forces Roberts to switch his vote, the final vote is 6-3, and Roberts as Chief Justice seizes the opinion back and scraps it for a much more tempered one. Barratt and Kavanagh sign the majority opinion, Alito issues his original opinion as a concurring one which Thomas signs on to. Roe is still gone, which was inevitable, but Alito's rhetoric gets essentially thrown in the dumpster.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
I think Trump has exposed our Democracy. And unfortunately the Democrats are too weak to fix it. The Supreme Court needs to change. It should have been impossible to upend 50 years of precedent on a 5-4 vote.

Ok, so you pack the court. What stops the next GOP president from packing or unpacking the court again? Or do we end up with a 100 member SCOTUS?

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
If abortion is banned without exception in TX (as is likely) and she would die without one then she would die. We're re-entering an era where crossing state lines will have increasingly large impacts on what a person's freedoms are to an extent not seen in decades.

Yup. Basically people will need to think long and hard about where they want to live, work, relocate, raise a family, travel, etc.

For better or worse, I guess this is one step towards more federalism. I guess for at least 2 years until a nationwide abortion ban is put into place in 2024 or 2025.

Either way, my initial point still stands. Those that have the means, will be able to relocate and adjust easily. Those that don't....sorry.

Reactions: Pohemi