News Roe v. Wade overturned

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
84ecf6e136f01eb79c8253556708325c.jpg

Sums it up.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Lets make this REAL for a moment.
Say, you have a 13 year old child who is raped by her nephew, cousin, or her daddy's drinking buddy.
The child will be forced to carry that baby for 9 months. The child will be forced to give birth to that baby. So I wonder... HOW would that experience affect that child? HOW will that trauma affect that child as a woman, and for the rest of HER life?

Or, take a wife who is raped and then forced to give birth to the baby of a rapist? Maybe a rapist later caught, arrested, and convicted spending the rest of his life in jail? How would this affect that married couple? The husband, watching his wife going thru that pregnancy for 9 months? That husband, knowing this child is not only not his child but, the child of a rapist?
AND, what about their marriage?
THINK ABOUT IT.
Could ANY child, ANY marriage, ANY couple survive such a trauma?

If YOU were that 13 year old child, would YOU survive?
If YOU were that adult woman, would YOU survive? Would it destroy your future relationships?
And, if YOU were that husband, would you remain in that marriage? Would YOU remain with facing every day knowing that child was not your child, and your wife gave birth to the child of a rapist?
Could YOU, putting yourself in their place, could you survive? Your marriage survive?

Marriages of today are known for their failures, not for their successes.
Any child, woman, wife nor husband would or could survive. Never.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
But F the party as well who couldn't put up anyone else in the primary and lost it all.

Ultimately that defines Ds, no culture of winning. Get the most votes, still hold no power, but just look sad in response.
No, blame the people , not the candidate. She was way better than Trump in every way, he openly said in debate that if he won, he'd appoint justices to overturn Roe. But they still couldn't be bothered to vote. If Clinton won, Roe would still be law of the land. Culture of winning is having a fight in the primary and then turning out to vote for who is on the ballot for your party in the general. Waiting for the perfect candidate or staying home because of primary butthurt is culture of losing. Losing has consequences.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Is it safe to assume there will be a missive black market that forms around medication abortion? Another win for organized crime.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Why is he being a pussy now? Just burn it all the way down. The institution is a joke anyway.
It's as nakedly partisan as the legislature, just without elections.

If 2000 didn't teach us that, this surely does.

Realistically tho, I don't think this helps Ds much until you have women dying of coat hooks.

Only matters if they're pretty young white women. But they largely have the means to cross state lines to get abortions.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I know we’re supposed to be worried about the nukes that Russia has… But what about those you all have? I mean with things going into the shitter as is?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I am hoping we will have better candidates in the coming elections for the two major "parties"...I don't like Donald Trump, but let's go Brandon/Tarkin...what should really happen IMO is the two major coalitions should split into actual parties that stand for something.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I am hoping we will have better candidates in the coming elections for the two major "parties"...I don't like Donald Trump, but let's go Brandon/Tarkin...what should really happen IMO is the two major coalitions should split into actual parties that stand for something.
There's a cold civil war going on in this country. You go to war with the army you have, not the one you wish you had. Magical thinking that we can wait for perfect candidates or parties before turning out to vote is what got us here.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
why would blue states require that? the only ones that might balk are the insurance companies.

Corporate America will have something to say for those insurance companies. Just watch how many companies move to offer women employees access to out of state abortions—or relocation for them and their families out of trigger law states entirely.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
GOTTA LOVE FOX.... HAHAHA
First ignoring, then deflecting to Hunter's notebook, then... the realization that YES THEY TOO must abide by this potential ruling.

GEE WIZ...
Now, when Shannon Bream gets raped by Tucker Carlson, she will be forced to give birth to that commie baby.
And GEE WIZ...
When Laura Ingraham gets raped by Sean Hannity, she too will be forced to give birth to that bastard baby.

FUNNY....
How republicans have always used these social issues to win elections, yet to NEVER IMAGINE it ever actually happening. BUT NOW.... IT HAS....
Be prepared, it will be the Fox views who will cry the loudest, and cry WE NEVER REALLY THOUGHT THIS WOULD ACTUALLY EVER HAPPEN.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

What do YOU stand for if you stand by while the candidate of the anti democracy party wins because you couldn’t be bothered to vote for a less than perfect candidate?

Reactions: dank69

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
What do YOU stand for if you stand by while the candidate of the anti democracy party wins because you couldn’t be bothered to vote for a less than perfect candidate?
That is a good question, I don't mind talking about my opinions. I don't think that anyone should be telling other people how to vote though. That is a personal decision.

On my opinions: I think we need a much better healthcare system, probably free without the need for insurance. I also think we need more guns, and fewer restrictions on them and the types of them, but at the same time background checks are a good idea. I would say I am pro life, in most cases, in the sense that I don't think we should have the death penalty for most cases. As for abortion, I see it largely as a HUGE wedge issue that everyone gets angry about, and it is very divisive. I wish people would just let some of this stuff be. Now I think that women should be able to do what they want with their bodies, but I guess the question is, at what point is another persons body involved, in other words, when is it a baby? That I do not know and do not have a good solution for.

As for foreign policy, I used to be more like, leave stuff alone, now I am more of a hawk, if justified. Especially with all the craziness from Russia and China. I kinda think that the US should be more involved actually, eventually at least, but for now we need to fix problems at home as much as possible first. Overall, I consider myself a free thinker, I like to think outside the box, and I am a liberal, in the sense that I value freedom and liberty. It seems most people don't know what that term means anymore, and just throw it around in different ways.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Why not simply treat this as Trump would?
Call the court fake.
Deny the ruling (when it officially comes).
Label it a conspiracy.
Rebuke the ruling just as Trump rebuked Joe Biden's presidency.
Insist on a recount, over and over, until the real ruling is revealed.
And for the people? Never ever accept this law as their law.

I say, lets just pull a Trump on this ruling, potential ruling, and go forward as if it never happened. And like with Trump, if we repeat it enough saying that this ruling (potential ruling) is fake then it will become fake.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
That is a good question, I don't mind talking about my opinions. I don't think that anyone should be telling other people how to vote though. That is a personal decision.

On my opinions: I think we need a much better healthcare system, probably free without the need for insurance. I also think we need more guns, and fewer restrictions on them and the types of them, but at the same time background checks are a good idea. I would say I am pro life, in most cases, in the sense that I don't think we should have the death penalty for most cases. As for abortion, I see it largely as a HUGE wedge issue that everyone gets angry about, and it is very divisive. I wish people would just let some of this stuff be. Now I think that women should be able to do what they want with their bodies, but I guess the question is, at what point is another persons body involved, in other words, when is it a baby? That I do not know and do not have a good solution for.

As for foreign policy, I used to be more like, leave stuff alone, now I am more of a hawk, if justified. Especially with all the craziness from Russia and China. I kinda think that the US should be more involved actually, eventually at least, but for now we need to fix problems at home as much as possible first. Overall, I consider myself a free thinker, I like to think outside the box, and I am a liberal, in the sense that I value freedom and liberty. It seems most people don't know what that term means anymore, and just throw it around in different ways.

You are a “liberal” and yet you think both sides are bad. That’s not “free thinking” that’s intellectual laziness.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
  1. Alabama—Pre-Roe ban, Near-total ban, State constitution bars protection
  2. Arizona—Pre-Roe ban
  3. Arkansas—Pre-Roe ban, Trigger ban, Near-total ban
  4. Georgia—Six-week ban
  5. Idaho—Trigger ban, Six-week ban
  6. Iowa—Six-week ban
  7. Kentucky—Trigger ban, Six-week ban
  8. Louisiana—Trigger ban, Near-total ban, Six-week ban, State constitution bars protection
  9. Michigan—Pre-Roe ban
  10. Mississippi—Pre-Roe ban, Trigger ban, Six-week ban
  11. Missouri—Trigger ban, Eight-week ban
  12. North Dakota—Trigger ban, Six-week ban
  13. Ohio—Six-week ban
  14. Oklahoma—Pre-Roe ban, Trigger ban (effective November 1, 2021), Near-total ban, Six-week ban
  15. South Carolina—Six-week ban
  16. South Dakota—Trigger ban
  17. Tennessee—Trigger ban, Six-week ban, State constitution bars protection
  18. Texas—Pre-Roe ban, Trigger ban, Six-week ban
  19. Utah—Trigger ban, Near-total ban
  20. West Virginia—Pre-Roe ban, State constitution bars protection
  21. Wisconsin—Pre-Roe ban

And that doesn't even include what Florida will pass. If you're in the southeast then you are pretty fked. Welcome to Gilead folks.

I'll hold to my belief that America is in a state of collapse due to internal mind rot.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The fun is going to begin in earnest in states that still have old abortion ban laws on the books that were blocked by Roe, among them some battleground heavy hitters of Michigan,Wisconsin, and Arizona.
Should be quite exciting times for many young folks who couldn't be bothered to vote in 2016.

If the opinion holds and the 1973 decision is overturned, a 19th century state law would go back into effect that bans Wisconsin doctors from performing abortions except when saving the life of the mother.

If Roe is overturned, experts have said Michigan likely will revert back to a 1931 law, known as Act 328, that makes abortion a felony in the state, with no exceptions for rape or incest.

The pre-1973 Arizona law is quite clear. It makes it a crime to use drugs or "any instrument or other means whatever" with the intent of abortion a fetus. The sole exception is to save the life of the mother.
The statute says anyone convicted must be imprisoned for no less than two years and no more than five.

It's going to be a total sh!tshow in those states, because they'll have an instant and near total abortion bans and split governments.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
That would be nice. It will never happen as long as the Supreme Court recognizes "one person, one vote" as preventing alternative voting systems like instant-runoff voting in Presidential elections. As voting stands, every third-party vote merely draws off votes from one of the major parties.

I think the easiest way to get instant-runoff is in a primary. An instant-runoff "jungle" primary, where everyone votes for candidates from every party, and the top two go on to the general election. This would not require a constitutional amendment; merely agreement from the major parties. Any minor party that's at all significant would join, because it would give them a chance of winning outright that they don't have now. But that's not going to happen either unless both parties splinter off some significant portion of their elements at the same time. Perhaps a MAGA party and a Bernie Bros party?

Reactions: Shmee

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

There are more guns in the US than people, why would we "need" more?

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
You are a “liberal” and yet you think both sides are bad. That’s not “free thinking” that’s intellectual laziness.
I don't necessarily think both sides are bad, rather I see pros and cons in different areas. And I do not think you should be calling ideas that you disagree with lazy, but whatever, as long as you can be somewhat respectful.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
There are more guns in the US than people, why would we "need" more?
Why not? Anyway, I am more concerned about too many restrictions than actual numbers, to be fair. But to answer the question as to why more guns could be beneficial, it would be for defense of the homeland in case of an invasion.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69