News Roe v. Wade overturned

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
From what I’ve read, the severity of this leak is unprecedented. Who’s the leaker?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
To be honest I have a feeling Obergefell will be next to go and if anyone thinks the dems can stop that from happening is dreaming..

The elections are already fixed for 2022 and for the next century in the state courthouses thanks to the big lie.

We will be a 1 party state soon. Biden is the last whimper of the opposition to Trumpism.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

And this as well. We're well on our way to autocracy. GOP is going to demolish the Dems in the midterms and 24. Democrats are absolutely fucking clowns.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Absolutely this. This is now a major part of her legacy. Congrats RBG.
Not really. Americans could have easily defeated Trump and Republicans if they turned out to vote, but many young people for whom this issue actually matters couldn't be bothered to vote. If your political strategy revolves around candidates being exciting and perfect, or justices resigning at right times, you are offloading responsibility from the people as electorate to individual politicians and chance, and you are going to lose.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Republicans mostly complaining about the leak (but mah norms) and ignoring the strong possibility the court has decided to enable states do something not 20% of the population approves of.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Not really. Americans could have easily defeated Trump and Republicans if they turned out to vote, but many young people for whom this issue actually matters couldn't be bothered to vote. If your political strategy revolves around candidates being exciting and perfect, or justices resigning at right times, you are offloading responsibility from the people as electorate to individual politicians and chance, and you are going to lose.

Of course Trump is a dramatically larger issue, and yes, as I responded to your other comment the feckless Democrat base is probably most to blame, but RBGs legacy for me will remain largely about giving up a seat to activist right wingers for what.. Pride? Conviction?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Elections have consequences. Feckless Democrat base. Disgusts me.
Maybe young women will finally decide to vote to at least keep their rights at state levels and maybe get a chance to appoint new justices or pack the courts. But I am not optimistic. They think magical politicians will take care of them, even if they don't bother turning out to win majorities.

Dec 10, 2005
From what I’ve read, the severity of this leak is unprecedented. Who’s the leaker?
A cynical part of me would think it could be someone leaking the worst possible opinion so they can look "moderate" when they have an opinion that only takes a bite out of abortion rights instead of gobbling the whole pie.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Of course Trump is a dramatically larger issue, and yes, as I responded to your other comment the feckless Democrat base is probably most to blame, but RBGs legacy for me will remain largely about giving up a seat to activist right wingers for what.. Pride? Conviction?
Look, I agree she should have been more strategic in her retirement, and she regretted it before death. But if you are betting on a single person staying healthy and doing politically smart thing, you are offloading responsibility. In a society with a responsible electorate that focused on issues at play more than who they'd like to have a beer with, neither Trump nor Bush would have been elected.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I guess this isn't shocking given how SCOTUS bailed on their standard procedures in regards to the bull shit Texas law. The American Taliban on the bench was always headed this direction.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Look, I agree she should have been more strategic in her retirement, and she regretted it before death. But if you are betting on a single person staying healthy and doing politically smart thing, you are offloading responsibility. In a society with a responsible electorate that focused on issues at play more than who they'd like to have a beer with, neither Trump nor Bush would have been elected.
I absolutely agree with, wholeheartedly, just expressing my view of the RBGs tarnished legacy.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
To be honest, leak only further discredits the court. It's clearly a sham and needs to be remade in full.
As for abortion, nothing in life is free. It's highly unlikely this will be a "free win" for the GOP in any capacity.

Reactions: hal2kilo

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
So ironic....
Trump republicans have become obsessed with stopping immigrants and minorities from crossing the border. Now, the majority of minorities and immigrants will be coming into America from the womb. HOW is Donald Trump ever going to put a wall around the womb?