News Roe v. Wade overturned

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
^To paraphrase Monty Python:

Every DNA strand is useful
Every DNA strand is great
If a DNA strand is wasted
god gets quite irate

So does this thinking apply to plants and animals too? I can hardly wait for the coming alliance of PETA, Christian extremists and Druids.

Mar 11, 2004
Okay, I was just expressing my annoyance with what I thought was an argument that didn’t make the point it appears to make. That was supposed to be it. I’m not going to play ring around the rosie with arguments wherein we have two different and opposing world views. It’s not going to lead to any constructive debate. My bad - sorry; at this point we are all just dug into our respective corners.

Ok, then maybe in the future, STFU and nope the fuck out of the thread instead of spouting stupid shit? Just because you don't get something doesn't make it everyone else's fucking problem.

Also, cut the fucking bullshit attitude. You demand only one "side" adheres to your standards of decorum, while you give a free pass to far far far more egregious behavior from others. And then you have the gall to get mad when people dispute your problem?

The fact that you think there's only two world views on this is so fucking bullshit that you can cram that up your ass as well. How can constructive debate happen when we have people like you trying to dumb things down then getting pissed off when you still don't understand things? Well "a corner" is a new term for your ass, at least that seems to be where you corked your head.

Reactions: brycejones

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
If life started at conception a third of all pregnancies wouldn’t cease around the 4-5 week mark.
Pro-lifers feel that you just keep killing kids until one makes it all the way. Doesn’t matter if they die in the process. Not their fault. They wanted to have unprotected sex. Therefore there was no way for them to prevent it from happening.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If you there was a fire where a living baby and 100 fertilized embryos are both present which would you save? If you claim the embryos, you’re a psycho, if you say the baby then you’re admitting I’m right.
So you admit it’s a lesser form of life.

Train Track fallacy fail on your part @fskimospy
Just because you feel they are lesser, and in a "choose one" scenario a choice is made and a value given.
Humans do not lose a right to live, and others do not gain a right to murder them.

0b0584bf02449513f879837cc95f19e7e0-09-trolley.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Just because you feel they are lesser, and in a "choose one" scenario a choice is made and a value given.
Humans do not lose a right to live, and others do not gain a right to murder them.

In practicality, we will always assigns greater value to *something*

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Drach

Apr 24, 2022

Are you sure that your handle should be Jaskalas instead of JACKASS? I'm sure the mods could help you with a name change,

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

The train track question isn’t a fallacy to begin with so your objection makes no sense. The train track question is about the assignment of guilt, not the value of life.

In my example agency is equal for both. You could save a baby or a thousand, a million, a billion embryos. Every sane person would save the baby. The entire point of this thought exercise is to recognize that when people say a fertilized egg is the same as a human baby they are lying.

These are immoral and dishonest people so this helps the rest of us understand they are immoral and dishonest.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Man that hangover has to be a bitch. Hope it passes quickly.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
If life started at conception a third of all pregnancies wouldn’t cease around the 4-5 week mark.
Wonder how soon after when SOCTUS ruling becomes official before first woman gets charged for murder in a miscarriage? Go DeSantis!!!

Reactions: hal2kilo

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
Wonder how soon after when SOCTUS ruling becomes official before first woman gets charged for murder in a miscarriage? Go DeSantis!!!
I'm not sure where I saw this (maybe in this thread? I couldn't find it - so sorry if this is a repost).

Not murder, but manslaughter isn't that far.

Reactions: hal2kilo

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

I've never heard of a Train Track Fallacy. Did you just make that up on the spot?

Reactions: Pohemi

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
Let's hear the pros and cons of her rant...
I agree with her 100%. I'm impressed that she didn't swear during that, but I will..."I don't care about what your fucking book says. I don't fucking care if you believe it, but you don't get to tell me what I should fucking believe and you don't get to tell me what I can do with my fucking body."

Fuck yeah, Ana.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yeah, never heard that term. I _have_ heard of "trolley-ology" and did actually wonder for a moment why fskimospy didn't frame his thought-experiment in terms of trolleys and tracks.

The reason why is the trolly problem illustrates a different issue. The trolley problem is a question of moral culpability for action vs. inaction. Ie: would you let three people die by doing nothing, thus keeping your hands clean or would you personally pull the lever and be directly responsible for one person’s death. The assumption is that all the human lives are of equal value.

In my thought experiment the action you take is the same regardless - you are choosing what to save and there is no option for inaction. So for my experiment it is a simple question of value. Do you think a single baby is more or less valuable than a billion fertilized eggs? I think any sane person would say the baby. This illustrates that no human actually views the two as equally valuable or even remotely close to that and so when people lie and claim they do we should ignore them.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

In your pic (applying pro-life dogma) the upper track is the decision to have an abortion track. The person chooses to have an abortion, throws the switch and a single “child” dies. You call that person a murderer/killer.

The straight track is where the trolley naturally goes, spontaneously aborting / miscarrying multiple “kids”. This is the “good track” according to your dogma.

What’s missing from the pic is the same person starting the trolley down the track in the first place.

Reactions: Pohemi and ch33zw1z