Rocksmith. The real guitar hero game with a Real guitar.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
As a guitarist first and foremost, this game is no good.

*shrugs* Depends on your skill level, and probably taste of music. There's not many songs it seems to really challenge somebody who's already quite good. The songs I already knew how to play I had fun with anyway just because playing the guitar with the full band is nice and not something everybody gets to do. Playing guitar by yourself gets boring.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I jumped back into this game after getting a decent headset. I can say my receiver was definitely introducing a lot of audio lag for some reason that I couldn't get rid of. Even if I went standard audio or optical straight into the receiver it would add enough delay to not be fun.

With the headset (which uses the optical source) the sound matches my playing and the game is a lot more enjoyable. There's still a bit of video lag I'm trying to correct for but I'm not sure I'll be able to. It's only an issue during more intricate parts of a song I don't know. If I do expert mode (or whatever it's called), I have no issues as all the notes are removed from the screen and I'm just playing with the band.

I'm finding the song catalog to be better as I go along. A lot of the songs I didn't think I'd care for are actually still pretty fun to play, so they did a good job picking songs. There's also a bass mode now which is sweet, but I have yet to try it out.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I jumped back into this game after getting a decent headset. I can say my receiver was definitely introducing a lot of audio lag for some reason that I couldn't get rid of. Even if I went standard audio or optical straight into the receiver it would add enough delay to not be fun.

With the headset (which uses the optical source) the sound matches my playing and the game is a lot more enjoyable. There's still a bit of video lag I'm trying to correct for but I'm not sure I'll be able to. It's only an issue during more intricate parts of a song I don't know. If I do expert mode (or whatever it's called), I have no issues as all the notes are removed from the screen and I'm just playing with the band.

I'm finding the song catalog to be better as I go along. A lot of the songs I didn't think I'd care for are actually still pretty fun to play, so they did a good job picking songs. There's also a bass mode now which is sweet, but I have yet to try it out.
I loved the gameplay, even being a guitarist, but I hated the songs so much. =( I wish they had put better music in the game.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I loved the gameplay, even being a guitarist, but I hated the songs so much. =( I wish they had put better music in the game.

Yeah, it's an odd feeling though. Very few songs are anything I'd actually listen to on a regular basis but when playing them they're usually pretty fun. There's only been a couple songs I really didn't want to replay at all.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I received a coupon e-mail from NewEgg earlier, and one of them was for money off a pre-order. I noticed that a new Rocksmith Guitar + Bass was listed on there, but you said that they recently added the bass to the game already. So what's the pre-order for?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I think the new rocksmith + bass pack includes dlc, specifically bass focused stuff that isn't all out yet.