Rocksmith. The real guitar hero game with a Real guitar.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
does it teach you how to read music ?

No. It's basically tab based instruction. No note names are displayed as they scroll down the fret.

As for my impressions, I'm having a little bit of issues with the game. I'm trying to go through some of the songs/events in the progression mode and the difficulty scaling is a bit out of whack. It goes from overly easy to overly difficult without any middle ground. And as I do the practice sessions I'd really like the ability to slow the songs to my own speed instead of the auto-picked one.

Overall it's a very cool game, but there are some problems I have. I'm hoping the follow up (assuming there is one) can address those.

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
I have Rocksmith coming in soon, and for now I plan on using it with the six string guitar from the Power Gig Band Bundle - please don't laugh too hard (anybody else get this for $40 at the Gamestop fire-sale over the summer?). I replaced the crap strings on it with some D'Addario XLs, which greatly improved the sound, but it's still a plasticky piece of crap. I'm just getting into guitar, despite being 35, so I'm looking for suggestions. I'm thinking a Dean Vendetta XMT or Floyd Rose, as they're reasonably priced and pretty good sound quality. Any other suggestions for a n00b?

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
When is the bass pack coming out for this? It sounds pretty intruiging for me because I've had a bass for about a year and just get myself to practice it consistently. Something like this could get me into it more I think, and I think if I could get better at it I would play even more from there.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
My two week impression of this game: AWESOME. Pure awesome. It's exactly what I needed to get my back into the guitar hobby. I needed something structured enough to actually force/show me what to do and how I was doing it wrong. But free flowing enough that I could do some things at my own pace and bounce around a bit.

This game is perfect for that. Just in two weeks my comfort around the neck is night and day better with fret recognition and my transitions are getting much faster and much more precise.

We've been waiting years for something like this to finally be produced...and now we have it. My only real complaint at this point is some major gaps in music style and some bands that I'd absolutely love to be represented. Hopefully in time the library will expand.

If you are on the fence and have any interest in the guitar, please give this a shot and show the developers some support. For the first game to actually offer a *true* guitar experience this is an excellent 1st release.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
So, I've been anxiously awaiting this game, which was supposed to come out on PC this week. I go out to see if it is out, only to find it is delayed until May 2012 so that they can concentrate on console fixes and DLC. Pffft. Anyway, no big deal I suppose, but I am really intrigued by this, but have no interest in buying a 360 or PS3 to play it. I think by May I may not actually care (or they will have dropped the PC version completely).

Then there is this from Ubisoft:

Meanwhile, Ubisoft has come out swinging against the PC:

"We’ve heard loud and clear that PC gamers are *****ing about there being no version for them," Mettra said to Incgamers. "But are these people,” he questioned inflammatorily “just making noise just because there’s no version or because it’s a game they actually want to play? Would they buy it if we made it?"

"It’s hard because there’s so much piracy and so few people are paying for PC games that we have to precisely weigh it up against the cost of making it. Perhaps it will only take 12 guys three months to port the game to PC, it’s not a massive cost but it’s still a cost. If only 50,000 people buy the game then it’s not worth it."

I would pirate it on console just to spite his very uninformed ass, what he fails to mention is they bought this game nearly finished from another company that made it only for PC/Mac and UBISOFT ported it to console, but I'm not here to start a pc/console debate. I actually am interested in this game. :)

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
My two week impression of this game: AWESOME. Pure awesome. It's exactly what I needed to get my back into the guitar hobby. I needed something structured enough to actually force/show me what to do and how I was doing it wrong. But free flowing enough that I could do some things at my own pace and bounce around a bit.

This game is perfect for that. Just in two weeks my comfort around the neck is night and day better with fret recognition and my transitions are getting much faster and much more precise.

We've been waiting years for something like this to finally be produced...and now we have it. My only real complaint at this point is some major gaps in music style and some bands that I'd absolutely love to be represented. Hopefully in time the library will expand.

If you are on the fence and have any interest in the guitar, please give this a shot and show the developers some support. For the first game to actually offer a *true* guitar experience this is an excellent 1st release.

thanks for this.

I have a sealed xbox 360/kinect that I'm still on the fence over.

TanisHalfElven

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
thanks for this.

I have a sealed xbox 360/kinect that I'm still on the fence over.

If you want to learn to play, its a phenomenal game. Not the best 'game' but thats to be given cuz its teaching you to play and not the other way around.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Holy god...fingers raw...wrist destroyed...

Made it through about 60,000 points on Breed and Song 2. Also hit over 75,000 points on the Queens oTSA track and got my first tone unlock. My left hand finger tips can't feel the keyboard.

:D

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Wow, i received this game this morning and I am loving it. After the brief tuning session I was wailing away. Finished a few sets already and have not dipped below 90 accuracy. As an amatuer guitarist I find this game excellent. Its real, unlike rockband or gh. I highly suggest this game for noobs and seasoned vets. Its just plain fun and sounds awesome. I cant wait to play this after work and mess with the pedals.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I cant wait to play this after work and mess with the pedals

You'll be disappointed there...they are all locked initially. You need to score above 75,000 points in songs to unlock them. Or cheat and pay the fee to download them from the storefront.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
You'll be disappointed there...they are all locked initially. You need to score above 75,000 points in songs to unlock them. Or cheat and pay the fee to download them from the storefront.

Yeah, found that out last night. I unlock one so far but havent messed with it. Dusted off my les paul and am working on rebulding my callouses. Its been a while.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I've unlocked "Angela", "Song 2", and the Queens of the Stone Age song...name escapes me. Whittling away at In Bloom, Breed, Mean Bitch and Outshined now. It's actually easier banging out power chords than single notes.

I'm jonesing for some Clutch, Metallica, AC/DC and GN'R in here....

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
So, I've been anxiously awaiting this game, which was supposed to come out on PC this week. I go out to see if it is out, only to find it is delayed until May 2012 so that they can concentrate on console fixes and DLC. Pffft. Anyway, no big deal I suppose, but I am really intrigued by this, but have no interest in buying a 360 or PS3 to play it. I think by May I may not actually care (or they will have dropped the PC version completely).

Then there is this from Ubisoft:

Meanwhile, Ubisoft has come out swinging against the PC:

"We’ve heard loud and clear that PC gamers are *****ing about there being no version for them," Mettra said to Incgamers. "But are these people,” he questioned inflammatorily “just making noise just because there’s no version or because it’s a game they actually want to play? Would they buy it if we made it?"

"It’s hard because there’s so much piracy and so few people are paying for PC games that we have to precisely weigh it up against the cost of making it. Perhaps it will only take 12 guys three months to port the game to PC, it’s not a massive cost but it’s still a cost. If only 50,000 people buy the game then it’s not worth it."

I would pirate it on console just to spite his very uninformed ass, what he fails to mention is they bought this game nearly finished from another company that made it only for PC/Mac and UBISOFT ported it to console, but I'm not here to start a pc/console debate. I actually am interested in this game. :)

The piracy argument makes no sense... you need the hardware to play the game at all and you can't exactly download that :p

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The piracy argument makes no sense... you need the hardware to play the game at all and you can't exactly download that :p

It's just a basic USB adapter for a guitar. Nothing special. You can take the one for the Xbox and plug it into your PC or Mac and record your guitar through it.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Just got this game as it's on sale for $50.

My impression is thus far positive overall, though I do have some issues. First... the lag is an issue. I have it on the "optimal" setup where I have HDMI for video only and RCA going to my sound system and there's still decent amount of audio lag. However a good chunk of this is the system itself, as when I plug headphones directly into the RCA port it's better. However as a guitarist who's used to the real time sound of an amp, it's definitely always a bit late and noticeable. I'm also having trouble dialing in the video lag. There's an option to change it in the options, but it's a manual slider so I'm having to do a tedious guess and check method to see if it makes a difference. So far it doesn't feel perfect.

However, I still had fun with the bit I played of it. Songs that I normally wouldn't care for are actually fun to play with the full band playing with you. At first glance I thought their track selection was kind of a bummer, but a lot of the unknown to me stuff works quite well. I may not be having as much fun if I were brand new to guitar, but since I have the basic techniques down I'm catching on rather quick to new songs... as long as it's not chord heavy. I still can't play chords and IMO the notation for them sucks a big one. It's impossible for me to get them fast enough even on the first go where it's slow and infrequent, and I've even had practice with them at one time in my life. I can't imagine dealing with it when you're brand new.

Anyway, so far it's a fun time. The technology works and it's actually fairly accurate. With some polish to get some of the processing lag out of the audio it would be even better.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
So what's the deal with this in its current form? Are there still lag issues? I've never played guitar but have always wanted to learn. I've thought about buying a guitar and getting some lessons at a local shop but the idea of learning in my living room via my 360 is very appealing as it is more flexible and definitely more economical.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
So what's the deal with this in its current form? Are there still lag issues? I've never played guitar but have always wanted to learn. I've thought about buying a guitar and getting some lessons at a local shop but the idea of learning in my living room via my 360 is very appealing as it is more flexible and definitely more economical.

It depends on your setup. For me, my receiver for some reason adds lag to the audio which is enough to cause me issues. If I use headphones directly from the 360 it's better, but I don't have good headphones for such a thing. It's a combo Blu-Ray/receiver and any real receiver would probably have no issues like this. From what I've played the game itself works quite well, and if I could help my lag I'd play it a lot more.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

I have my audio running digitally (optical) from my PS3 to my stand alone receiver and I have no lag issues. YMMV. I love the game, but I'm not sure it's a great idea for someone who's never played guitar. It doesn't really "teach" you guitar as much as it "helps you practice." Small but important distinction. That said, if you're willing to watch enough youtube videos/read a book or two/look at an instruction website for a bit to get the basics down; the game can be a great way to improve your mechanics.