Rocksmith 2014

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JoJoDawg

May 17, 2011
Love the Rocksmith games. I've always wanted to play a guitar even if i was mediocre at it, so the week the original Rocksmith came out I bought myself a Epiphone Les Paul Studio silver burst for like 350 and the game for ps3.

I knew how to hold a guitar, pick a string and hold down 1 string on which fret i needed. That was it. Had a great time learning and playing songs that I never even heard before. Was really having fun with the Black Keys songs. I played a few hours a week when i can get in on the tv from the family. I eventually started to get decent at it with a couple of songs at 80-90%

Then the pc version went on sale and picked it up for cheap during a steam sale. Then the DLC on sale was great pick up a lot of new songs....Fav Pantera from growing up. I even picked up a 2nd copy of the game for PS3 with cable for 15$ figured if I break the cable i would have a 2nd one.

Pre-ordered 2014 and playing the heck out of it. Couple of things that sucked was the whole Uplay crap. Loved just having to deal with Steam only. Another is the 10 bucks to port over the orignal songs. Thankfully the DLC came over free. And one thing just seems odd like the sound of the guitar is like muffled a little... just can't pin point it but haven't played around with volumes yet.

Best game investment ever for me. Figure out the hours of entertainment and the cost and this has been the cheapest 've spent ever spent on entertainment.

One thing though is my beer cost have gone up a lot. Like having a couple of beers while playing and end up drinking like a fish...:biggrin:

Off to try to improve my 40% on Cemetery Gates.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I wanted to buy this game today and play it this weekend, but I can't find it for sale anywhere with the guitar bundle. I'm not trying to buy the game plus drop another at least $200 on a guitar at Guitar Center. oh well

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Played multiplayer for the first time last night and had tons of fun jamming. A few small but needed improvements over the original! (swap instruments, reduced load times, better layout options)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I wanted to buy this game today and play it this weekend, but I can't find it for sale anywhere with the guitar bundle. I'm not trying to buy the game plus drop another at least $200 on a guitar at Guitar Center. oh well

You're a beginner; don't buy a brand new guitar! Just check Craigslist for a decent deal on an older guitar. I haven't looked at this guitar bundle, but I can't imagine that it's a very good guitar.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
You're a beginner; don't buy a brand new guitar! Just check Craigslist for a decent deal on an older guitar. I haven't looked at this guitar bundle, but I can't imagine that it's a very good guitar.

I checked CL, nothing much in terms of deals. The bundle comes with the Epiphone Les Paul Jr, I read some reviews it seems like a pretty solid guitar for the price.

JoJoDawg

May 17, 2011
Even with the $350 guitar? :p

It's close. not including the Vegas entertainment trips :awe:.

91 hrs played original Rocksmith and about 10 hrs 2014. Not including some practice hours outside of Rocksmith. I've had months where i didn't touch it or the guitar:sneaky:

When I bought my guitar I just figured I want to play on something I would enjoy playing. If for some reason I didn't like the game or playing I could always CL the thing for 60-70% return. Still worth the try.

Damn my fingers sore right now and didn't improve on Pantera. Did improve on some of the basics, so that's good.

Anyone notice that the DLC plays different than the original? Some of the songs just seemed off on what I had learned before. Maybe just me, but even some of the jazzy songs seem off or including more notes than I had learned.

PinmasterJay

Jun 12, 2005
I have essentially zero experience playing guitar. I've toyed around with an acoustic guitar that was either mine, or somehow at my mother's house years ago. I've always wanted to learn how to play.

Anyway, so Best Buy just had a sale on Rocksmith 2014 the other day. I actually bought it for XBox 360 as my computer monitor is too small to see notes (~23") and I don't want to bother running a long HDMI cord or whatever to my TV.

I bought a Schecter C-1 Blood Moon guitar too, which seems to be a great bargain from everything I've heard. With the bundle discount, I paid $186 for the guitar and $80 for the game + cable.

This is the guitar I bought: Link

And a video of it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpu76Q5YCXw

I'm excited about learning how to play. I was really good at Guitar Hero (could get 95+% scores on most expert songs), and generally have a good ear for music, good timing, rhythm, etc. I'm hoping this ends up being really fun and allows me to learn how to play reasonably well.

Same here. I have never played guitar but always interested to try it. Loved all the guitar hero games.

For someone with zero experience would diving right into the game be overwhelming or are there good tutorials to teach the basics? If not can anyone here direct me to some good beginner tutorials on youtube?

My birthday is next week and i've dropped some not so subtle hints to my wife about this so I hope to get started soon

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
It's close. not including the Vegas entertainment trips :awe:.

91 hrs played original Rocksmith and about 10 hrs 2014. Not including some practice hours outside of Rocksmith. I've had months where i didn't touch it or the guitar:sneaky:

When I bought my guitar I just figured I want to play on something I would enjoy playing. If for some reason I didn't like the game or playing I could always CL the thing for 60-70% return. Still worth the try.

Damn my fingers sore right now and didn't improve on Pantera. Did improve on some of the basics, so that's good.

Anyone notice that the DLC plays different than the original? Some of the songs just seemed off on what I had learned before. Maybe just me, but even some of the jazzy songs seem off or including more notes than I had learned.

The old DLC was made with just 1 guitar in mind, whereas with 2014 now has separate rhythm and lead guitar tracks. The DLC was updated I believe so they might be a bit different.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Just got my guitar tonight. Here's a few stills of it:

rnLSN0x.jpg

MPYPjfO.jpg

yLr0ASS.jpg

mW2QQmZ.jpg

Nice

I really like Schecter brand guitars. I haven't seen one that cheap before, or sold at best buy so I'm not sure if the quality is the same, but my first Schecter was $300 so not that far off.

I started with an Omen 6, but this is what I bought a number of years back:
http://www.schecterguitars.com/products/guitar/Hellraiser-C-1.aspx

JoJoDawg

May 17, 2011
Same here. I have never played guitar but always interested to try it. Loved all the guitar hero games.

For someone with zero experience would diving right into the game be overwhelming or are there good tutorials to teach the basics? If not can anyone here direct me to some good beginner tutorials on youtube?

My birthday is next week and i've dropped some not so subtle hints to my wife about this so I hope to get started soon

Pin: The game teaches the very basics through tutorials and arcade type of games. It has a good range of teaching tools and it will play to your skill level. It does guide you to things that help improve your play, of course you have freedom to do whatever you like.

I watch a couple of guys on youtube that help supplement the game. Of course if you really are serious about playing and thinking band then an instructor would work best. The game will let you learn bad habits unlike an instructor would see the wrongs.

First link is very good for beginners. Second link is fun to watch someone awesome at playing teaching you parts of songs.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoeSongs?feature=watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Nyf9rvcqg

gorcorps: That probably explains it. Some songs were off on notes by the level i was at on the orignal and that just through me into miss every note mode :).

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Founds this on Steam, kind of interested, but I haven't touched my Mexican Strat in years. I even loosened the strings to put it into long term hibernation. Scale and song books never did it for me.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I had to pack up my drum set to make room for the new baby that is coming in a few months. I would like to still play some type of instrument and learning the guitar has always been on my list. The guitar bundle is now $200 on Amazon. Is that a good deal?

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I hear you on the guitars. My Les Paul is worth around $4-5k (a '74 custom black beauty), but I need to get a little work done on it again (the neck was always a little out of wack, and had to have it shimmed. I think it is just the truss rod right now, but I can't manage to get it right without screwing with the intonation). As a result I have been playing my Strat or my Telecaster. I can't believe how much the American Standard Telecasters are going for now, almost all of them are over $1k. I bought mine for $300 before I went to college (it was so I didn't take the Les Paul).

Last edited:

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I had to pack up my drum set to make room for the new baby that is coming in a few months. I would like to still play some type of instrument and learning the guitar has always been on my list. The guitar bundle is now $200 on Amazon. Is that a good deal?

Yes, from what I've read the included guitar is decent enough to start with but you might want to take it to a tech to do a setup and check the intonation, etc.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
hey how does coop work in this game? can you do 2 guitars or is it only guitar + base?

You can do 2 guitars (lead & rhythm), or guitar & bass. A third person (or anyone playing an instrument) can sing along using a mic, but the singing is not scored.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
By the way, Steam is having a sale on RS stuff. I just picked up a bunch of older DLC that I didn't already have like Pearl Jam, The Black Keys, etc.

All Rocksmith DLC (before Rocksmith 2014 was released) is now 50% off!
Rocksmith 2014 is 25% off! ($44.99 USD)
Rocksmith is 50% off ($14.99 USD)
(these are download only versions, without the cable)

http://www.theriffrepeater.com/rocksmith-discounts-on-steam/

And Amazon has the original RS for $7.50!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009GKT2W2

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Does the old stuff work on 2014? There were a few I wanted but I'm not going to buy them if they don't.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Does the old stuff work on 2014? There were a few I wanted but I'm not going to buy them if they don't.

Yes, the 'old' DLC works fine in 2014.

Do you own the original RS? If you don't, you'll have trouble buying the 'old' DLC as Steam lists Rocksmith (original) as a requirement. It can't tie the DLC to multiple games.