Rockets, Mortars keep falling on Israeli cities

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: TheSnowman
Israel has been occupying and colonizing Palestine since long before Hamas existed. How do you figure getting rid of Hamas would change that now?

When the Palestinians select a leadership that does not advocate thedestruction of Israel, then there will be a chance.

As long as the Pals are led by a group that has shown that it does not want peace, the Pals will be unable to progress.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: jamesall
peace will come, if hamas is gone period. Hams has done more harm to the Palestinians than anyone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wrong song, Fatah used to be the Israeli boogie man, now they are the Uncle Toms
who are gradually going the way of the dodo because they did not deliver results.

Hezbollah and Hamas have a more popular model because they have an ability to deliver social services while having a military wing as well.

But if they do not deliver results, they too will be gradually displaced by any one of a large number of other groups.

The idea that Israel, the Palestinians, or the surrounding Arab countries and factions within are homogeneous think alike blocks is a giant myth.

The other myth is that of JS80 saying, "Bullshit, Israel bends over backwards to target the militants and reduce collateral damage. They need to switch their policy and just respond 10x the force to equivalent civilian attacks until they are all gone. There will never be peace until all jews or all palestinians are dead."

What JS80 is saying is basically true only a small part of the time, and the end message is even more chilling. It may be possible to kill most of all Palestinians, but the problem would not go away, there are still the problem of killing hundreds of millions of Arabs, as the entire calculus of the mid-east would change as Israel becomes the new Nazi party.

The end goal of Hamas is far more appealing, sooner or later the land and political power must be shared because no group can have it all.

SamurAchzar

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Lemon law
When Israel was carved out of the British mandate in 1948, it had a basic choice, it could provide equal government for both indigenous Palestinians and Jews, or it could favor Jews and expel its Palestinians.

In 48', the British partitioned Palestine, giving part to Jews, part to Palestinians. Around that time, Kingdom of Jordan was formed, and today it is more than 80% Palestinians. So it's not like they were left without territory.

We can see that Israel choose the path of pigs, and here we are 60 years later with the same basic tactics. The more brutal the Israeli repression, the stronger the Palestinian and Arab resistance becomes, why should we be at all surprised at a rerun of the same ole same ole.

The "Palestinians" (who are those people anyway? Just random Arabs from all around the middle east), along with the rest of the Arab nations, chose to attack the newly formed country, instead of aiming at coexistence.

If Israel does not find a way to defuse the Arab anger, sooner of later the weight of Arab numbers and oil wealth will doom Israel. Or some trrrorists will simply start using chemical and biologic weapons as rockets increase in range and accuracy.

If Israel, a newborn country with no real army or infrastructure, fought about 5 Arab countries successfully off in '48, it can surely do so today.

I am not trying to justify past, present, or future actions of any groups, there are many wrongs on all sides, I am just saying this will be the final outcome if Israel and the other sides do not change tactics.

The Holy land of Israel, sacred to three religions, can be shared, but any that attempt to make it all theirs will know no peace.

Yes, just like to glorious coexistence of Muslims around the world. Like they coexist in India, in Darfur, in Chechnya, even in Europe. Hell, they can't even get along with themselves (see Iraq as an example).
Take Lebanon as an example - how well exactly did the Muslims and Christians coexisted?
It's still a barrel of explosives waiting to be lit.

No, the problem is totally different: instead of having accepting defeat in their primary goal of a country all over Palestine, forming their peaceful country and moving on, the Palestinians chose to fight an eternal battle. This is a battle Israel can't win without resorting to barbarian tactics of expelling the population (or genocide), especially not with the new rhetoric of extreme Islam (to which Hamas belongs). So the situation doesn't get any better. Obviously, Israel isn't willing to lose either. Meanwhile, it's the average Palestinian that's suffering.

Israel had predominately left wing governments for its entire existence. All of these governments looked for peace, and peace was achieved with Egypt and Jordan. The behavior of the Palestinians is turning the Israeli public away from the left, straight into the warm embrace of the Right wing. Only the Palestinians will suffer.

Back in the 90s, most people around the world knew very little about Islam. The public opinion was strongly biased against Israel. Now that Islam has risen everywhere, putting the western way of life in an imminent risk, world nations become more sympathetic to whats Israel is going through. In 10 or 20 years, when Muslims torch Europe to the ground, no one would shed a tear for the Palestinians any more (well, there would be always some folks in P&N that side with the underdog, however violent and backwards he is).

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
The so called called Palestinians are Arabs who came from Arabs states into the Land of Israel about one century ago and today to counter the Jewish immigration from anti-semitic Europe where Jews were persecuted for being not quite white. Jews bought worthless deserted land from the Ottoman Turks to escape. Once the coalition of nine to seven Arab states realized they could not wipe out Israel, and public opinion was on the side of the little guy, Israel - the Palestinian people were born for Western consumption. The "palestinians" became the oppressed little peoples by a big state instead of Jews by Muslims sates and the west has bought it hook line and sinker by ignorant responses I read here. Palentinians are just shock troops financed, trained, armed by those same 7-9 Arab states to continue the Jihad. And Fattah and Hammas are one in the same, only disagreeing on fast vs. slow Jihad.

Walid Shoebot, a former PLO terrorist summarizes the situation succinctly.

?Why is it that on June 4th 1967 I was a Jordanian and overnight I became a Palestinian??
?We did not particularly mind Jordanian rule. The teaching of the destruction of Israel was a definite part of the curriculum, but we considered ourselves Jordanian until the Jews returned to Jerusalem. Then all of the sudden we were Palestinians - they removed the star from the Jordanian flag and all at once we had a Palestinian flag?.
?When I finally realized the lies and myths I was taught, it is my duty as a righteous person to speak out?.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Lemon law

The Holy land of Israel, sacred to three religions, can be shared, but any that attempt to make it all theirs will know no peace.

Yeah right. You so f'kn ignorant it's not even funny. I'll tell you what. I'll buy you a plane ticket to Palestine or Saudi or anywhere in Muslim world if I can Video you opening a Torah, Bhagavad Gita or Bible on street corner and read a couple passages. My cell phone is good enough since I'll only need about 5 seconds to demonstrate how stupid you are.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
Originally posted by: SamurAchzarJust push that population back, until they are in fucking Egypt for all that I care. Make them all refugees if needed.

Takes one brave government to do so, though.

Meanwhile, think what would happen if San Diego was fired at from Mexico, etc.

in 1948 a place called Israel was created, backed by the military might of the United States.

in 1948, 400 Palestinian villages were destroyed, and many of their inhabitants killed.

the Palestinians have a term for it - "Al Nakba". their Holocaust.

http://www.palestineremembered.com/

has a few Gigabytes on the subject, including a few hundred interviews with Palestinians who witnessed Al Nakba.

it is odd that the Jewish people would recover from the Holocaust by inflicting a Holocaust on another people. it is also odd that, shortly after their own experience with concentration camps, the Jewish people would put the Palestinian people in a concentration camp.

and then people are surprised when the Palestinians fight back ?

some of the Jewish people did fight back during World War 2. "For Those I Loved", written by a Jewish man named Martin Gray. He survived Auschwitz, his family did not.

Let's not forget Al Nakba, the Palestinian Holocaust, and let's not forget people like Martin Gray who wrote about life in a concentration camp.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: wwswimming
Originally posted by: SamurAchzarJust push that population back, until they are in fucking Egypt for all that I care. Make them all refugees if needed.

in 1948 a place called Israel was created, backed by the military might of the United States.

in 1948, 400 Palestinian villages were destroyed, and many of their inhabitants killed.

the Palestinians have a term for it - "Al Nakba". their Holocaust.

http://www.palestineremembered.com/

has a few Gigabytes on the subject, including a few hundred interviews with Palestinians who witnessed Al Nakba.

it is odd that the Jewish people would recover from the Holocaust by inflicting a Holocaust on another people. it is also odd that, shortly after their own experience with concentration camps, the Jewish people would put the Palestinian people in a concentration camp.

and then people are surprised when the Palestinians fight back ?

some of the Jewish people did fight back during World War 2. "For Those I Loved", written by a Jewish man named Martin Gray. He survived Auschwitz, his family did not.

Let's not forget Al Nakba, the Palestinian Holocaust, and let's not forget people like Martin Gray who wrote about life in a concentration camp.

Way to downplay the real holocaust and concentration camps with a bunch of BS.

SamurAchzar

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2006
Yea - you're right, the Nakba is the same as the Holocaust. How could have I missed it? After all, the Jews inflicted terror on the Germans to such a degree, poor Germans had no other option but to lock them up in concentration camps. Back in the 30's, you couldn't eat a quiet meal in Berlin without the fear of a Jew manbomb going off in your vicinity. Then, it all gotten worse when the Jews elected a hardcore Jewish leadership, calling for the ultimate destruction of Germany. Then, those Germans just HAD to act.

The Germans did everything in their powers - retreated from Jewish cities, allowed Jewish terrorist leadership to come back to Germany, armed the Jews with weapons so they could reign their own - but those Jews just didn't let go. Rabidly, they attacked, leaving utter destruction in their path.

Afterwards, in 48', those Jews fleeing the righteous German anguish settled in Palestine. Not content with the local population, the Jews just started practicing their old tactics they brought with them from old Europe - killing, murdering and raping, just like they did to those poor Germans. Hundreds of Palestinian villages were destroyed, while Jews sat peacefully on their porches, eating their Challas.

Now, looking at the vast concentration camps Israel established in Gaza, the thousands of Israeli occupation soliders roaming Gaza streets, how Israel is murdering thousands of innocent Palestinians daily - I can see where does it come from. The same old Jewish aggression.

Luckily for the Germans, those violent Jews were replaced with ambassadors of the Religion of Peace - Islam. So much better is Europe now, with all their scientists and humanists. Unlike the thieving, scumbag Jews, the Muslims actively contribute to society, integrating well into their host countries, bringing nothing but advancement and prosperity whereever they go.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
Israel has been occupying and colonizing Palestine since long before Hamas existed. How do you figure getting rid of Hamas would change that now?

When the Palestinians select a leadership that does not advocate thedestruction of Israel, then there will be a chance.

As long as the Pals are led by a group that has shown that it does not want peace, the Pals will be unable to progress.
You say that as if it wasn't Fatah's inablity to get Israel to agree to the Arab Peace Plan that got Hamas ellected in the first place.

SamurAchzar

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2006

You say that as if it wasn't Fatah's inablity to get Israel to agree to the Arab Peace Plan that got Hamas ellected in the first place.

Hamas constantly gained popularity ever since its inception. The only reason Hamas was elected was, amusingly enough, the fact that the Palestinian Authority conducted elections :laugh: Obviously, Israel is at fault, and not that -

- Yasser Arafat has died, leaving Fatah with no real leadership
- The corruption of Fatah and their families infuriated the Palestinian public (Arafat died a Billionaire)
- The fact that the entire Muslim world is getting more radical
- Hamas extensive welfare programs

So those had nothing to do with Hamas gaining power, and only Israel is at fault? You're robbing the Palestinians of any common sense. How patronizing is that.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
I'm not patronizing them, I'm pointing out that their leadership prior to Hamas winning the ellections was reaching out to Israel for peace, which Israel rejected.

I'll tell you what is patronizing; contueing to rob the Palestinians of their homeland while demonizing them for how they back.

SamurAchzar

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2006
I'm not patronizing them, I'm pointing out that their leadership prior to Hamas winning the ellections was reaching out to Israel for peace, which Israel rejected.

I'll tell you what is patronizing; contueing to rob the Palestinians of their homeland while demonizing them for how they back.

Easy to say Israel rejected their peace offer, when that offer ultimately called for demise of Israel as what it is today. The "Right of return" would make it a mixed state, thus leading to a bloodshed that would make Iraq seem like a friendly neighborhood Baseball game.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: SamurAchzar

Hamas constantly gained popularity ever since its inception. The only reason Hamas was elected was, amusingly enough, the fact that the Palestinian Authority conducted elections :laugh: Obviously, Israel is at fault, and not that -

- Yasser Arafat has died, leaving Fatah with no real leadership
- The corruption of Fatah and their families infuriated the Palestinian public (Arafat died a Billionaire)
- The fact that the entire Muslim world is getting more radical
- Hamas extensive welfare programs

So those had nothing to do with Hamas gaining power, and only Israel is at fault? You're robbing the Palestinians of any common sense. How patronizing is that.

There is no difference. Fatah keeps up appearances to get western money but both have same goal. Everywhere, eventually, Muslims must rule. It may take a century, or two. It does not matter it's God's will. Israel is not even its main target. But the existence of an Infidel nation-state, smack in the middle of Dar al-Islam, and run by the despised Jews, is simply something that sends many Muslims into a fury. These promptings will not go away unless the Qur'an, the Hadith, the Sira either disappear, or are modified, or interpreted away. Until then, the immutable Qur'an remains, the literal Word of God, demands your destruction, conversion, or Dhimmitude.

Happy Fk'n Hanukkah Kuffar!

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
its a shame, we all say, blow them to hell, etc but every time Israel fires a single missile, everyone says its Israels fault, even if we shoot one missile to gaza and hits nothing but dust, while hamas shoots 100 and 2,000 die.

people who think this is Israel's fault are ignorant fools.

this article is just one in a big handful of terrorist attacks on israel. every day, Israeli defenses, whether it be items that destroy missiles or police which stop arabs from doing suicide attacks, work correctly. one time it doesnt, or the suicide bomber presses the detonator early, people die, and Israel just cleans it up and is quite, while the suicide bomber's family celebrates their death.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: freshgeardude
its a shame, we all say, blow them to hell, etc but every time Israel fires a single missile, everyone says its Israels fault, even if we shoot one missile to gaza and hits nothing but dust, while hamas shoots 100 and 2,000 die.

people who think this is Israel's fault are ignorant fools.

this article is just one in a big handful of terrorist attacks on israel. every day, Israeli defenses, whether it be items that destroy missiles or police which stop arabs from doing suicide attacks, work correctly. one time it doesnt, or the suicide bomber presses the detonator early, people die, and Israel just cleans it up and is quite, while the suicide bomber's family celebrates their death.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Somehow nearly everyone in Lebanon will hardly agree with your rather inaccurate assessment when Israel raped the entire country two years ago. Granted Israel has certain self defense rights that should have stopped no more than 60 miles into Lebanon as the extreme edge of rocket range. Instead Israel bombed the whole country all the way to the Syrian border, indiscriminately bombing Christian and everyone else in the process. Even helpless fleeing refugees were fair game.

Another Dick Cheney Condi Rice brainfart gone bad as Hezbollah emerged as the big winner. Granted lots of things rotten on the Arab Palestinian side, but the noble Israeli is a myth that does not exist. All this conflict has produced is a endless lists on wrongs on all sides for 60 years running.

What is wrong with that picture?

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Easy to say Israel rejected their peace offer, when that offer ultimately called for demise of Israel as what it is today. The "Right of return" would make it a mixed state, thus leading to a bloodshed that would make Iraq seem like a friendly neighborhood Baseball game.
The plan doesn't insist of anything of the sort, but rather a negotiated solution to the Palestinian refugee problem in accordance with the U.N. resolution on the issue:

http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/rw...beb9c5c1256b8a0054b62e

Yet Israel shows no intrest in peace, prefering to contenue colonizing the West Bank instead.

Originally posted by: freshgeardude
it is a shame you have such a distorted understanding of the situation. From 1987 when Hamas was created, Israel hasn't lost even lost 2,000 people to the conflict in total:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I...an_conflict#Casualties

The rockets Hamas shots are once they make themselves and aren't capable off inflicting anywhere close to death toll you claim:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qassam_rocket

If Hamas had missiles capable of killing 200 people each, I'd bet Israel would be happily take the Arab peace offer. Israel shrugs off what deaths the rockets do cause, and continues to take Palestinian land Instead, all while people such as yourself cheer this madness on.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Israel/Palestine is what happens when large forces fight proxy wars.

Just like Vietnam was a proxy war between the ideologies of communism and capitalism, the Israel/Palestine situation is a proxy war between the ideologies of Islam and the Western religions. Both sides funnel money, arms, and personnel into the region, and the result is a bloodbath comfortably far away from the borders of the suppliers, providing innumerable sources of outrage to galvanize their citizens into an indignant furor. And so the conflict rages onward. Anyone who claims that Israel isn't 100% evil and to blame in the Middle East (or Europe) gets shouted down or worse, and anyone who claims that the Palestinians aren't filthy terrorists gets torn down here.

It's like watching parents encouraging their kids to fight at their Little League games, instead of smacking them and telling them to get along.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

When the Palestinians select a leadership that does not advocate the destruction of Israel, then there will be a chance.

You say that as if it wasn't Fatah's inability to get Israel to agree to the Arab Peace Plan that got Hamas elected in the first place.
The Pals for the past 30+ years have been led by people who's concern is not for the Pal people themselves, but for the power stick and world attention that they can obtain.

A handicap of Fatah was the Arafat legacy that they were unable to shed.
And unless there is leadership that can implement agreements and control the outside meddlers, the name of the party will have no bearing.

Fatah could not generate any type of agreements that were able to be upheld because the other militants would not accept an agreement. Whether this was in tact approval of Fatah or not, who knows.

However, the same cycle is publicly repeating for Hamas. They may state that they want a cessation of hostilities, but they also admit that they will not confront those that do not want peace. Such actions cripple Hamas if they are sincere in a peace or it shows that Hamas is just another name for an Arab leadership that wants power at the expense of the Pals.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005

When the Palestinians select a leadership that does not advocate the destruction of Israel, then there will be a chance.

You say that as if it wasn't Fatah's inability to get Israel to agree to the Arab Peace Plan that got Hamas elected in the first place.
The Pals for the past 30+ years have been led by people who's concern is not for the Pal people themselves, but for the power stick and world attention that they can obtain.

A handicap of Fatah was the Arafat legacy that they were unable to shed.
And unless there is leadership that can implement agreements and control the outside meddlers, the name of the party will have no bearing.

Fatah could not generate any type of agreements that were able to be upheld because the other militants would not accept an agreement. Whether this was in tact approval of Fatah or not, who knows.

However, the same cycle is publicly repeating for Hamas. They may state that they want a cessation of hostilities, but they also admit that they will not confront those that do not want peace. Such actions cripple Hamas if they are sincere in a peace or it shows that Hamas is just another name for an Arab leadership that wants power at the expense of the Pals.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sadly, that Common Courtesy myth is somewhat a beguiling myth but a myth none the less.

The root of the conflict still dates to 1948 and the right to return. Within days after the UN establishing the State of Israel, combined Arab armies moved against Israel in an attempt to wipe it out. By some minor miracle of Israeli organization
vs. Arab army total ineptness, the State of Israel survived against overwhelming odds. Meanwhile the State of Israel was transformed into a battle ground forcing
indigenous civilian Palestinians and Jews to flee their homes. When the dust settled, the Jews were welcomed back and the equally fleeing Palestinians were stripped of their land and forced into subhuman exile camps. A trend that continues to this day and a trend that is not only the politics of Israeli pigginess,
but a trend that makes long term peace impossible.

Initially Arifat and the Fatah party was the champion of the displaced Palestinians
as the 1967 war greatly expanded both Israeli territory and the number of displaced Palestinians. But by UN mandate, any Israeli gains in the 1967 war
had to be deemed only temporary, which ushered in the heady hopes of the Oslo accords, and some sort of a peace.

Maybe, 20 20 hindsight, Arifat's recognition of the right of the Sate of Israel to exist could have led to peace, but Arifat, rightly or wrongly refused to surrender the right to return. With the later homegrown Jewish assassination of Rabin, Israel turned hardline and Arifat became totally corrupt as he became the anointed ruler of a dung hill.

The lesson for Palestinian opposition groups cannot be more clear, never recognize the right for Israel to exist without an iron clad equitable settlement in hand.

As Marin Luther King says, keep your eyes of the prize, equality or bust. Like it or not, there is more hope the Hamas vision than the current Israeli vision.

Israel may have good press in the USA, but in a longer analysis, the Israeli vision is morally bankrupt.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: jagec
Israel/Palestine is what happens when large forces fight proxy wars.

Just like Vietnam was a proxy war between the ideologies of communism and capitalism, the Israel/Palestine situation is a proxy war between the ideologies of Islam and the Western religions. Both sides funnel money, arms, and personnel into the region, and the result is a bloodbath comfortably far away from the borders of the suppliers, providing innumerable sources of outrage to galvanize their citizens into an indignant furor. And so the conflict rages onward. Anyone who claims that Israel isn't 100% evil and to blame in the Middle East (or Europe) gets shouted down or worse, and anyone who claims that the Palestinians aren't filthy terrorists gets torn down here.

It's like watching parents encouraging their kids to fight at their Little League games, instead of smacking them and telling them to get along.

Well put.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
http://www.ynetnews.com/articl...7340,L-3643422,00.html
Qassam, mortar barrages hit south

Nearly 30 rockets, 10 mortar shells fired from Gaza Strip on Tuesday night, Wednesday morning. Several people suffer shock; houses, factory and building in military base sustain damage. Rocket fire follows killing of three terrorists by IDF on Tuesday

Palestinians fired about 30 rockets and 10 mortar shells from the northern Gaza Strip towards southern Israel on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. One rocket hit a house in the Sdot Negev Regional Council and another hit a factory in the Eshkol Regional Council, causing heavy damage. Several people suffered shock.

At least seven rockets were fired at Ashkelon and five at the city of Netivot. Rockets landed near Netivot's industrial zone, a residential neighborhood in Ashkelon and the city's southern industrial area. Two residents suffered shock.

Earlier, other rockets landed near a factory in Ashkelon's industrial zone and near a recreation center in the city.

Following the ongoing rocket fire, Defense Minister Ehud Barak instructed the defense establishment to cancel the planned transfer of humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip. On Tuesday, Israel decided to allow the delivery a limited amount of humanitarian equipment at 11 am Wednesday, but the crossings are now slated to remain closed.

Two rockets hit Ashkelon at around 8:25 am. Four rockets landed near the city of Netivot.

Netivot Council Member Ron Stern told Ynet, "There were two Color Red alerts. This is not the first time we hear an alert in the city, but it stresses us out each time. We ran into the fortified room, and then came out and tried to return to routine, but there was another alert and we returned to the shelter. Then we heard a boom.

"It's Hanukkah, the kids are on vacation and this overclouds the holiday spirit. The alert was sounded when they were asleep and at home, and this raises difficult feelings."

Rocket landing site in Ashkelon (Photo: Amir Cohen)

Four Qassams were fired at around 7:30 am. Two of the rockets landed in the Sha'ar Hanegev Regional Council limits, one landed in the Ashkelon Coast Regional Council and one on Palestinian territory. Another rocket landed within the Sha'ar Hanegev Regional Council at around 9:50 am.

There were no reports of injuries in all incidents, but the Israel Defense Forces reported that a house in a kibbutz belonging to the Sha'ar Hanegev Regional Council sustained damage from a rocket fired overnight. A mortar shell hit the roof of a building in a military base.

The al-Quds Brigades, the Islamic Jihad's military wing, claimed responsibility for Wednesday morning's rocket fire.

Michal, an Ashkelon resident, said that "after the alert we heard two landings in the area ? one far away from my house and one very close. The house's walls trembled. Once against we are ducks on the shooting range."

Ashkelon mayor calls for 'tough response'

Benny Vaknin, the new mayor of Ashkelon, spoke to Deputy Defense Minister Matan Vilnai on Wednesday morning and conveyed a firm message: "The response must be extremely tough."

He also threatened that all schools would go on strike after the holiday if the city's educational institutions are not fortified.

Vaknin said the decision to cancel the aid transfer into the Strip was insufficient. He believes Israeli must distinguish between the Grad missiles fired at Ashkelon and the Qassam rockets fired at other areas.

"The fire directed at Ashkelon is essentially different. A Grad missile can contain 8 kilogram (17.6 pounds) of explosives and can cause injuries and great damage. If such a missile were to land inside a school, God forbid, a disaster could take place.

"The Grad missiles are only fired by Hamas men, which means there is an intentional policy here by the Hamas government, and therefore we should respond accordingly. We agreed to hold a work meeting with Vilnai and defense establishment officials in the coming days."

According to Vaknin, he has no intention of turning a blind eye to the rocket fire directed at his city, as opposed to the past. He has already declared that any Grad missile fired at Ashkelon would lead to the closure of all educational institutions in the city.

"I demand that they start fortifying all education institutions in Ashkelon immediately. There are 30,000 pupils and students in the college here, and contrary to what people have said ? not one school in Ashkelon is fortified.

"We demand that they begin the fortification now, and I don?t care about the costs. If the rocket fire continues without a response, we'll consider taking very harsh and tough measures and won't turn a blind eye. We recently appointed a team to deal with this issue until a state of calm returns to the region."

Meanwhile, the CEO of the Magen David Adom emergency services raised the organization's alert level to the second highest degree. Some 120 ambulances are ready to be dispatched to rocket landing sites throughout the area.

On Tuesday afternoon, an IDF patrol killed three terrorists who were seen approaching the security fence on the border with Gaza, adjacent to the Israeli community of Netiv Ha'asara, located just north of the Hamas-controlled enclave. No injuries were reported among the troops.

The terrorists were trying to plant an explosive device along the fence when an IDF outpost identified them and dispatched soldiers from the Paratrooper Brigade's 101st Batallion to the scene.

The force crossed into Gaza and made its way toward the terrorists. An exchange of fire ensued, during which the terrorists succeeded in detonating a bomb near the soldiers and throwing a grenade in their direction.

Six Qassam rockets were fired from the Gaza Strip on Tuesday. The sixth rocket landed near an educational institution in the Sha'ar Hanegev Regional Council. There were no injuries.

Meanwhile, the efforts to reach understandings on renewing the half-year truce between Israel and Hamas continue. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas met Tuesday with Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, and the two discussed the Egyptian efforts to resume the lull.

"We won't agree to an Israeli invasion in Gaza or even an aerial attack," Abbas said at the end of the meeting.

One of Hamas' leaders, Mahmoud Al-Zahar, said Tuesday that his organization was willing to renew the truce in Gaza if Israel adheres to the terms that have been agreed upon last June.

Speaking with Egyptian newspaper al-Ahram, al-Zahar said that the movement would reassess the situation in Gaza once the 24 hours during which Hamas vowed to halt rocket fire come to an end.

I wish the government would start a military strike against that. The laws should be simple: keep demolishing their urban areas until they are pushed out of firing range at Israeli cities. After all, they fire from within villages, sheltered by the civil population.
Just push that population back, until they are in fucking Egypt for all that I care. Make them all refugees if needed.

They are just little rockets, and don't do that much damage. If Israel would just return to pre 67 borders all of the problems (having the rockets far away) would go away.

Oct 30, 2004

Palestinians fired about 30 rockets and 10 mortar shells from the northern Gaza Strip towards southern Israel on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. One rocket hit a house in the Sdot Negev Regional Council and another hit a factory in the Eshkol Regional Council, causing heavy damage. Several people suffered shock.

Israel should just put an end to this by pushing everyone in the Gaza Strip into Egypt and then annexing the Gaza Strip.

The message should become clear--behave or die. If people amongst you are instigating a war then they need to be strung up and not tolerated and sheltered. This should have ended long ago.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: brandonbIsrael, if you want the rockets to stop raining down on you, stop pushing around the Palestinians, or kill them all entirely. But you will be guilty of what Hitler tried to do to you 70 years ago, and really, you'd be no better than he is. But I have a feeling thats what you will become, and to be honest, Palestinians had nothing to do with that, but you will commit genocide on a people who are innocent.

To hear you tell it, the Jews started a war against the Germans back in 1932 and tried to wipe Germany out of existence.

Oct 30, 2004

The Pals have chosen to play the martyr because they have been told that they have no way out by their leaders and brethren. The other Arab nations have betrayed them and their leaders have also. But because they have been brainwashed, they accept their plight.

Their life under Israel "occupation" has been better than when they were under the Arab control. But the brainwashing has convinced them that they should have it all and they should not accept any responsibility for their actions past and present.

People would have a much better understanding of the Palestinian and Arab mentality and of the Israeli-Palestinian situation if they would only read Leon Uris's excellent historical fiction novel The Haj. If it isn't 100% dead on then I bet it's pretty damned close to the truth--the Palestinians and the Arabs with their primitive-mystic tribal collectivist mentalities and outright hatred for the non-Arabs and themselves brought this entire mess down on themselves.