Robert Durst of HBO's "The Jinx" arrested in New Orleans

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
haha that burping was pretty bad. that ending was incredible. you can just imagine if Jarecki pushed a little harder or played things differently, that bathroom tape might not exist

I thought Jarecki's best moment was when he held up the close up print of the city being misspelled and asked Durst to pick which one he had written...and Bob couldn't. :thumbsup:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I thought Jarecki's best moment was when he held up the close up print of the city being misspelled and asked Durst to pick which one he had written...and Bob couldn't. :thumbsup:

Yeah, that was some real Perry Mason shit right there.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Wow! Saw the finale, but never watched the first 5 parts. Scheduled them to record.

Sep 29, 2004
The radio was talking about this in the morning.

I guess the charged him with the murder of his wife and he got off.

But in an interview he just did, his phrasing in response to a questions hinted at more than one murder.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The radio was talking about this in the morning.

I guess the charged him with the murder of his wife and he got off.

But in an interview he just did, his phrasing in response to a questions hinted at more than one murder.

He was never charged with the murder of his wife, or his friend. He was charged and tried for the murder of Morris Black in Galveston. All this over the course of 20 years?

It is universally accepted that he killed all of these people (he admitted the last one), but there was never enough solid evidence to convict him.

His phrasing referenced the 3 murders that he has always been suspected of committing. This admission in the show came after he was caught in some rather damning evidence regarding the 2nd murder.

I think beyond asbergers/autism spectrum, dude has some form of dissociative disorder. The way he talks to himself, as if he is part of a conversation between 2 individuals. It's like Golum in Lord of the Rings.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Watched all 6 episodes in one sitting, it's kinda sad how he got away with the murder of Morris Black. Hacking the guy to bits while going back to grab the guy's head from the garbage bags is not self-defense. Dunno how they convinced a jury in Texas that he was being persecuted by a crazy DA from NY.

So reading the Newsweek article on this story, his high priced lawyers could argue he's either insane or was just muttering to himself which doesn't necessarily indicate a confession.

Mar 16, 2005
I think the police were bought off by his rich family.

How else do you explain him being free for 30 years.

Last edited:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Actually there is plenty of precedent. Check out The Staircase or Paradise Lost for examples.

:thumbsup: and :thumbsup:

Also, The Thin Blue Line. And I didn't love it at the time, but I'm looking forward to revisiting Jarecki's other doc Capturing the Friedmans.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
He sounds like a total maniac; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Durst
Durst admitted to using a paring knife, two saws and an axe to dismember Black's body before dumping his remains in Galveston Bay.

In July 2014, Durst was arrested after turning himself in to police following an incident at a Houston CVS drugstore in which he allegedly exposed himself without provocation and urinated on a rack of candy. He then left the store and casually walked down the street.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Maybe, but my extremely limited understanding of these things is that for an insanity plea to work, you need to convince the jury/judge that you didn't know that your actions were wrong, and doing things to conceal your deed (i.e. cutting up a body and disposing of it) shows that you knew it was wrong.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
The downside is nobody is going to sign up for the next season of The Jinx.

"You want me to do what??? You know what happened to the last guy???"

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The "and now..." voice before the show started pronounced "jinx" differently than I always have. It sounded like the French name "Jean."

I Googled the pronunciation and it seems like it is supposed to be a hard J, the same way I've always pronounced it.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
The downside is nobody is going to sign up for the next season of The Jinx.

"You want me to do what??? You know what happened to the last guy???"

I thought the title referred to Durst. In one of the episodes he told his wife to have an abortion. His reason being he would be a "jinx" to the child.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I knew it would be good but NOT like that. He's screwed now.

I'm not so sure. I could see him saying that he went to the house of his friend and found the body and just sent the letter because he didn't want his friend to be left there like that.

There isn't really any motive for him to kill her and they have no other evidence, other than the recording (the guy is a little crazy so they might be able to explain what he said as just misc ramblings). I could see this guy walking again.

Mar 16, 2005
dude is like mc hammer

Cant-Touch-This-MC-Hammer-Dance-Gif.gif

Reactions: brianmanahan