RNC Convention Day 1 discussion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Palin speech cliffs:

Heeeelllloooo Hillary supporters!

Let's break that glass ceiling!

It's God's will that McSoccermom wins the election!

well, it's longer than "HOPE! CHANGE! (ignore the washington party insider in the corner)" at any rate

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: Dari
Looks like Palin is helping Obama.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13094.html

does that actually have anything to do with palin, though?

Well, remember last Friday when Obama had an eight point lead? Then it was widdled down to -2 for Obama on Saturday, a day after McCain shocked us with his announcement. Now it has gone back up again. Either the excitement has died down or the revulsion has kicked in.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Palin speech cliffs:

Heeeelllloooo Hillary supporters!

Let's break that glass ceiling!

It's God's will that McSoccermom wins the election!

well, it's longer than "HOPE! CHANGE! (ignore the washington party insider in the corner)"

A positive attitude is always better than fear.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I don't know her name, but the McCain's blond-haired daughter looked really pretty.

watching Fred Thompson right now -- I think he's doing pretty good, though the close-ups frontal shots are awful with that background. just begging for photoshop.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Yeah terrible speeches. I can't stand when the guys on the stage are constantly talking about the candidates and their platform. If Fred would have spent 2/3 of his time talking about L&O then maybe he could have matched the quality the dems gave us.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Anybody see Newt get a little prickly with Andrea Mitchell ?

Thompson and LIEberman were okay. I thought Bush looked really, really bad. The 'flag-waving' video screen was a little disorienting at times to me.

I think it's less important for Palin to talk about herself than to talk about (in general terms) her understanding of her position on the ticket, her responsibilities and the direction the McCain GOP would like to take the country.

Any general understanding of the issues facing the country would be great. It doesn't have be red meat.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
I don't know her name, but the McCain's blond-haired daughter looked really pretty.

watching Fred Thompson right now -- I think he's doing pretty good, though the close-ups frontal shots are awful with that background. just begging for photoshop.

I thought that too from a distance, then I googled her and found more pics... I recind that thought. She's OK, but not a hottie. 3 beers.

andy04

Dec 14, 2006
IMO its was wonderful. It looked real not phony or dramatic like the DNC. The part I liked till now was that there were no zombie chants like "HOPE" "CHANGE" "...MORE OF THE SAME". Looked like normal ppl just attending a convention. Didnt get the feeling of paid zombies yelling and chanting

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: prontospyder
It was interesting to hear Clinton praised for working across the aisle and cheered at a Republican convention. :)

What's surprising about that? They're pandering to the Hillary supporters.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
I personally thought it was boring and a bad showing with all the empty seats.

Don't get me wrong though, I totally hated the entire DNC also...to me the DNC seemed like a Creflo Dollar (that black preacher dude on late late tv) convention. Damned DNC seemed like I walked into a church.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: andy04
IMO its was wonderful. It looked real not phony or dramatic like the DNC. The part I liked till now was that there were no zombie chants like "HOPE" "CHANGE" "...MORE OF THE SAME". Looked like normal ppl just attending a convention. Didnt get the feeling of paid zombies yelling and chanting

You didnt recognize the right side zombies because you just might be one... I look at the same 2 conventions and see normal real people on the dem side and hat waering flag waving white zombies at the rep convention. My only point is there are 2 sides to each..

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I personally loved the phony homemade signs (all with the same handwriting style and same 2-3 colors). "Democrats for McCain" for example.

Honestly though, you must admit that the libertarian counterconvention stole all the interesting and/or good speakers.

andy04

Dec 14, 2006
Originally posted by: retrospooty
Originally posted by: andy04

You didnt recognize the right side zombies because you just might be one... I look at the same 2 conventions and see normal real people on the dem side and hat waering flag waving white zombies at the rep convention. My only point is there are 2 sides to each..

In the real world no one looks at both sides... especially in this left loons forum. Its filled with ppl cursing and accusing the right

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Thump553
I personally loved the phony homemade signs (all with the same handwriting style and same 2-3 colors). "Democrats for McCain" for example.

Honestly though, you must admit that the libertarian counterconvention stole all the interesting and/or good speakers.

I couldn't stand the "U.S.A. - U.S.A - U.S.A!!!" chants that went on from time to time. It sounded like there was a wrestling match or something going on.

I can't wait to hear Palin speak tonight though. I am expecting quite a good showing from her.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Farang
I'm really sick of the Palin baby talk, all it is is reporters asking themselves 'Should we be talking about this?' and most of them say 'No, we shouldn't, and let me talk about it to explain why.' Fucking bring up Troopergate that story has traction

Yes, lets please talk about that. At least it is something that SHOULD/COULD have bearing on the election. I personally think it will end up differently than you do, but I havent looked too far into it.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: amdhunter
I personally thought it was boring and a bad showing with all the empty seats.

Don't get me wrong though, I totally hated the entire DNC also...to me the DNC seemed like a Creflo Dollar (that black preacher dude on late late tv) convention. Damned DNC seemed like I walked into a church.

How else would you expect it to feel when you are nominating The Messiah? :)

Sep 14, 2005
I noticed some weak spontaneous chants of "USA, USA". Considering how weak it was, I have to wonder if the attendees really support the USA or what. I wish there had been some talk about how they plan to get this cart out of the ditch. The emphasis on nationalism was kind of scary, fortunately the term "mother land" never came up.

Thompson gave a good speech that really helped show McCain's finer points. If he hadn't kneeled and kissed the hand of Bush in 2004, after his horrid treatment in 2000, I'd be more comfortable with his presidency. At this point however, it seems like he's entirely in the grasp of the neocon handlers that got our country into the sad shape it's in. He's no longer a maverick.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Thump553

I noticed that, too. :p

I think the same guy (or gal) has been making those 'homemade' signs for about 12 years - lol.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
If anyone was wondering about the family that was identified before the vietnam pows, that was the siblings of the seal that got the MOH earlier this year for jumping on a grenade.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Farang
It seems to have gone very well.. Thompson was an effective narrator for the POW story and Lieberman used his Democratic past very well in his speech.

I only saw Thompson & Lieberman; I missed whatever preceeded that.

I thought both of them did a good job.

Empty seats? I don't see how that really matters for the TV broadcast. I assume they are missing a number of delegates from the hurricane states (LA, MS, AL, FL).

Stage didn't bother me either?

Fern

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Talk about a communist uprising!!

whats up with all the "Country First!" signs!?!?

:p

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Thought it was absolutely fvcking pathetic. I switched to it during commercials of 90210, by any account a much better use of my time, and all I picked up where cherry picked anecdotes--an endless stream of them, most leaning toward military in some sense of the word as if the fact that McCain was in the military is reason enough to have him run the country. Then we had some brainless tidbits from people like Laura Bush talking about the "freedom" 50M Iraqis now have, it was really too much. The worst was that these are ostensibly intelligent adults sitting in that crowd and cheering. Then the medal of honor guys stood and the crowd chanted USA, USA, USA like so many bleeting sheep. Are these really the best stock of clowns that America can come up with to govern itself? For shame.