RNC Convention Day 1 discussion

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
So now that the delayed day 1 has completed, what are the thoughts on what was given.
Heading into the primetime coverage you had a military tribute lead by one of the Hanoi hilton POWs, Mrs. Bush speaking then introducing ATP&Ns #1 favorite. Followed by Thompson and closing it up with Lieberman.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Well, Thompson seemed less corpse like. Overall not terribly impressive, but the later days will probably pick up a bit.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
It seems to have gone very well.. Thompson was an effective narrator for the POW story and Lieberman used his Democratic past very well in his speech.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It was interesting to hear Clinton praised for working across the aisle and cheered at a Republican convention. :)

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I saw Thompson and Lieberman.

Thompson sounded like he had a cold, wasn't much of a speech really. Interesting story, but no passion in telling it. Some one should have told him to "act" like he meant it.

Lieberman was better. We should trot Zell Miller out again, THAT was one hell of a speech.

Tomorrow is the BIG night. I think Palin's speech has eclipsed Obama's speech as the most important speech of the campaign. If she tells a good story and the American people like her the Dems are in trouble. She has a great personal story, all she has to do is tell it.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
My very short analysis of the night would be that it went off better than most of what the dems put out simply due to those speaking now have no agenda other than doing whatever they can for their parties ticket. Several of the hi value talks in denver contained a lot of me him and those other people, and oh yeah lets support our nominee too material.

Tonight was above average attack dog stuff, where they could possibly show separation is if they do delve into specifics on the final night(s).

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Speaking honestly-- it was boring. At least, that's the impression I got of it watching it on TV. Maybe it looked better in person...

The people looked tired, there were numerous empty seats, the stage is 1970s era bland, the sound was horrible (did the networks only have one mic for the whole arena?).

All in all, from what I was able to stay awake to pay attention to, the Thompson and Lieberman speeches were well crafted and well read. I just fear it all may have been in a wasted effort when set against a noticably muted audience and muted backdrop.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
I saw Thompson and Lieberman.

Thompson sounded like he had a cold, wasn't much of a speech really. Interesting story, but no passion in telling it. Some one should have told him to "act" like he meant it.

Lieberman was better. We should trot Zell Miller out again, THAT was one hell of a speech.

Tomorrow is the BIG night. I think Palin's speech has eclipsed Obama's speech as the most important speech of the campaign. If she tells a good story and the American people like her the Dems are in trouble. She has a great personal story, all she has to do is tell it.

PJ, you're too funny. Talk about a lot of rhetoric :laugh:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: QED
Speaking honestly-- it was boring. At least, that's the impression I got of it watching it on TV. Maybe it looked better in person...

The people looked tired, there were numerous empty seats, the stage is 1970s era bland, the sound was horrible (did the networks only have one mic for the whole arena?).

All in all, from what I was able to stay awake to pay attention to, the Thompson and Lieberman speeches were well crafted and well read. I just fear it all may have been in a wasted effort when set against a noticably muted audience and muted backdrop.

It varied depending on the network. I flipped through a couple while it was on and you could notice a video and audio difference between them. For the main network coverage tonight was a pretty shitty showcase on their part, they start so late that they go back and play most of the Bush stuff, hit a few clips form Thompson and then get Lieberman to end it will minimal talking about the speakers other than some babygate stuff early on while editing what they showed of Thompson.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I'm really sick of the Palin baby talk, all it is is reporters asking themselves 'Should we be talking about this?' and most of them say 'No, we shouldn't, and let me talk about it to explain why.' Fucking bring up Troopergate that story has traction

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I just love the suspense over whether the shortened convention span will allow Rudy to still give a speech. I wonder if they'll have some 9/11 photos on the wall behind him to make him feel like home :)

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
I dunno... The speaches were well written, as in any convention on either side... but these guys are just boring... Nothing new to add, nothing interesting to say... status quo all the way.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: retrospooty
I dunno... The speaches were well written, as in any convention on either side... but these guys are just boring... Nothing new to add, nothing interesting to say... status quo all the way.

I don't think anything can trump the psychodrama excitement that the Clintons added to the democratic convention.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Maybe that is the problem. No drama.

We all watched Hillary wondering how much she will do to back Obama, same with Bill.

But here we have no drama. Maybe they should have hid the identity of father and had Maury come out and do his show on the stage. "When it comes to Bristol's baby you are.... NOT the father!" Think of the drama!!!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
That's what we need, another who's my babies daddy discussion.

oh wait, that's divisive :D

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
I think Senator Lieberman gave a very interesting speech. The left friendly media will probably try to downplay and ignore it. The right friendly media will play it up. Hopefully, the voters will at least think about it, regardless of who they vote for.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Not such a good first/second day but good as can be expected. The GoP does not have the quality of speakers the democrats do. In less than 24 hours will be the real main event of the convention. I can't wait for the Palin speech it will be interesting where they take it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Looks like the fearmongering and raving over 9/11 has finally run its course, leaving the Repubs dead in the water. I've been to funerals with more excitement.

Didja know John McCain was a POW, and that Sarah Palin can field dress a moose? Wow!

Where are those freakin' Terrarists! when ya need 'em, anyway?

Beat me to it, JSt0rm01- damn you!

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
I watched 35 minutes, decided I wanted to vomit, and switched to Futureama.

Hey, at least I tried.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Palin speech cliffs:

Heeeelllloooo Hillary supporters!

Let's break that glass ceiling!

It's God's will that McSoccermom wins the election!