RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Did anyone watch the Hong Kong episode and did it feel kinda dark and depressing to you? Either that or I'm still clouded by his death.

I think it was talking to all the refugees who've been living there for years. That filmmaker he was hanging with was pretty crazy, though.

One of my favorites was the West Virginia episode. It's pretty easy to categorize Dump voters as willfully ignorant hicks, but it was really good to get some background on the attitude there. My other top two were Palestine and Hanoi.

My favorite No Reservations episode was in Beirut when they got caught in the middle of the war with Israel and had to be evacuated by the marines. Also when he was hanging with these crazy Maori in New Zealand and ended up rolling a quad down a giant sand dune.

I've traveled a thousandth or less than what he did, and yet those are some of my best memories. Seems unbelievable to me that he could have enough mental issues to outweigh all the positives in his life and yet still be undiagnosed.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Did anyone watch the Hong Kong episode and did it feel kinda dark and depressing to you? Either that or I'm still clouded by his death.

I felt that way before his passing when I watched the Hong Kong episode. I chalked it up to who was directing/filming it but maybe there was more to it.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
This one actually hit me harder than most, loved his shows and books, thought he was someone you'd love to shoot the shit with while trying some great food. The thing i liked most about his shows was how he always gave a voice to people and almost always had something positive to say about a region and it's people. He was a great storyteller and will be missed sorely by the many people who's lives have been enriched by him.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
This foodie is still shocked & saddened :(. This man changed not only how many of us viewed food but also in how we saw the world.

Anthony, thank you for showing me the global dinner table, may you Rest In Peace.