RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
"found unresponsive at his apartment."

suicide how?

The news seems to be reporting that he hung himself with the belt from a hotel bathrobe. It's almost like he saw how Kate Spade died and thought, "Gee, that's a good idea!". Mental illness is weird like that, I guess.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
After watching a bunch of episodes of Parts Unknown last night back to back until bedtime at 1:30am, I woke up real depressed today about this. Had to complete my thoughts on him.

I mean who didn’t want to be Anthony Bourdain? Hip, cool, deep, visceral, anti-cool, anti-hip. He was intellectual as hell yet still the coolest guy in the room. In mere sentences he could give you perspective on the Vietnam war in one episode and then crack a dick joke in Sichuan province in another. The man had range, he could float like none other on one note, gravelly bassy voice in the next measure.

It was just comforting to know that he was out there filming. I wasn’t his biggest fan in the world, although big enough, but now that he is gone I recognize there is a giant void in something so important there is no name for it. It just is that way.

I think Bourdain was one of the most important people of our generation and beyond. He introduced people to people, and by doing that often introduced us to ourselves. In a world rife with folks casting others through a narrow lens he gave us a broader one to look through and then right back at us again. On a planet where we are more connected than ever yet more isolated than before he was the antithesis of that. He just gelled man, with man. And put it on film. He was never afraid of being put on the record. And the record never set him straight.

He was not your typical travel show host. Most try to paint a picture akin to that of an over the top and giddy cruise ship brochure - but not Bourdain - he was simply honest and gritty. Full of insight and bursting with candor, Bourdain cooked up empathetic views of other cultures, painting them in colors and shades an American palate could understand, while still not losing their authenticity. He took us on grand tours of both simple and complex things, ideas and people, and narrated them into symphonies both light and dark.

I never cried when celebrities died. I was always sad at a loss, sometimes more sometimes less. This one hit home. It was reassuring to know that Bourdain was padding around the world, absorbing, observing, ingesting, ruminating. We lost a giant. We lost a leader. We lost a lead by example. With millions of connections to the world going on at any given moment we lost one of the most important ones, and by extension, a connection to ourselves. RIP Bourdain.

Reactions: Rifter and KMFJD

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
my niece started crying at the restaurant she works at and had to leave for 30 minutes. She's a prep cook.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1731096/3-anthony-bourdain-celebrity-chef-humanised-palestinians/

Visiting the West Bank on his way to a settlement, he said something that American people would never hear on national TV:

“In 2003, Israel began construction on a wall along the green line representing the Israeli-Palestinian border. The wall now stretches 450 miles. When completed, it will span 700 miles, 85% of it in Palestinian territory… Since 1967, 500,000 Israeli settlers have moved into the West Bank, all in contravention of international law, many in contravention of Israeli law, though in effect it seems to make little difference, they’re here and in ever larger numbers,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...dain-death-best-moments-parts-unknown-tv-life
In 2014, the Muslim Public Affairs Council gave a “voices of courage and conscience” in media award to Bourdain for an episode of Parts Unknown in which he visited Palestine. Bourdain replied by saying: “It’s a measure, I guess, of how twisted and shallow our depiction of a people is that these images come as a shock to so many. The world has visited many terrible things on the Palestinian people, none more shameful than robbing them of their basic humanity. People are not statistics. That is all we attempted to show. A small, pathetically small, step towards understanding.”

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/8/17442194/anthony-bourdain-ally-marginalized-voices
Once you’ve been to Cambodia, you’ll never stop wanting to beat Henry Kissinger to death with your bare hands.You will never again be able to open a newspaper and read about taht treacherous, prevaricating, murderous scumbag sitting down for a nice chat with Charlie Rose or attending some black-tie affair for a new glossy magazine without choking. Witness what Henry did in Cambodia - the fruits of his genius for statemanship - and you will never understand why he's not sitting in the dock at "The Hague next to Milosovic.

I did not realize quite how much I would like Mr. Bourdain as much as I do now after finding out about these quotes.
it leaves me shaking my head that anyone could call Kissinger "friend"

Reactions: KMFJD

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1731096/3-anthony-bourdain-celebrity-chef-humanised-palestinians/

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...dain-death-best-moments-parts-unknown-tv-life

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/8/17442194/anthony-bourdain-ally-marginalized-voices

I did not realize quite how much I would like Mr. Bourdain as much as I do now after finding out about these quotes.
it leaves me shaking my head that anyone could call Kissinger "friend"

This is why when I say he was one of the most important people of our generation I'm not just bullshitting. Who else could humanize these people? No politician has done so on the US side in decades. THe episode in Cologne is also huge.

Last edited:

dandruff

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2000
After watching a bunch of episodes of Parts Unknown last night back to back until bedtime at 1:30am, I woke up real depressed today about this. Had to complete my thoughts on him.

I mean who didn’t want to be Anthony Bourdain? Hip, cool, deep, visceral, anti-cool, anti-hip. He was intellectual as hell yet still the coolest guy in the room. In mere sentences he could give you perspective on the Vietnam war in one episode and then crack a dick joke in Sichuan province in another. The man had range, he could float like none other on one note, gravelly bassy voice in the next measure.

It was just comforting to know that he was out there filming. I wasn’t his biggest fan in the world, although big enough, but now that he is gone I recognize there is a giant void in something so important there is no name for it. It just is that way.

I think Bourdain was one of the most important people of our generation and beyond. He introduced people to people, and by doing that often introduced us to ourselves. In a world rife with folks casting others through a narrow lens he gave us a broader one to look through and then right back at us again. On a planet where we are more connected than ever yet more isolated than before he was the antithesis of that. He just gelled man, with man. And put it on film. He was never afraid of being put on the record. And the record never set him straight.

He was not your typical travel show host. Most try to paint a picture akin to that of an over the top and giddy cruise ship brochure - but not Bourdain - he was simply honest and gritty. Full of insight and bursting with candor, Bourdain cooked up empathetic views of other cultures, painting them in colors and shades an American palate could understand, while still not losing their authenticity. He took us on grand tours of both simple and complex things, ideas and people, and narrated them into symphonies both light and dark.

I never cried when celebrities died. I was always sad at a loss, sometimes more sometimes less. This one hit home. It was reassuring to know that Bourdain was padding around the world, absorbing, observing, ingesting, ruminating. We lost a giant. We lost a leader. We lost a lead by example. With millions of connections to the world going on at any given moment we lost one of the most important ones, and by extension, a connection to ourselves. RIP Bourdain.

Echo that. RIP.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Some vegans are nuts.

I know a vegan who claims that Anthony killed himself because he was consuming tons of animal protein. This is the same guy who goes into super markets and puts those cute pig stickers on bacon.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Some vegans are nuts.

I know a vegan who claims that Anthony killed himself because he was consuming tons of animal protein. This is the same guy who goes into super markets and puts those cute pig stickers on bacon.

I'd probably be more likely to buy bacon if it had a picture of a cute pig on it...

Reactions: GoodRevrnd

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
no dummy. I like Bourdaine and admired him, until he fucking killed himself leaving behind a little girl who is like WTF where my daddy? I have zero respect for people who commit suicide. if you don't like my position on the matter I don't care.

So much this :/ I just went through 2 years of hell fighting to be a part of my children's lives and I had many dark days but not once was suicide an option. Not when I have my 3 kiddos counting on me. I'm part of the Father's Rights Movement and I read so many heartbreaking stories of father's (and mothers too) kept out of their children's lives by evil exes and it's amazing how strong they are. I see some father's who haven't been allowed to see their children for years and they still keep fighting on. So though I feel bad for Bourdain, I feel infinitely worse for his poor kiddo being forced to deal with her selfish father.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
So much this :/ I just went through 2 years of hell fighting to be a part of my children's lives and I had many dark days but not once was suicide an option. Not when I have my 3 kiddos counting on me. I'm part of the Father's Rights Movement and I read so many heartbreaking stories of father's (and mothers too) kept out of their children's lives by evil exes and it's amazing how strong they are. I see some father's who haven't been allowed to see their children for years and they still keep fighting on. So though I feel bad for Bourdain, I feel infinitely worse for his poor kiddo being forced to deal with her selfish father.

I guess I do not have an understanding nature as far as suicide is concerned. Sure, I've have/had plenty of bad times in my life in which I struggle, but if I had ever felt that low, I'd seek help. Too many problems to even list, but I would never put them on a public forum. I've always thought about of all the collateral damage of this type of decision. You are not just killing yourself, but doing great harm to those who love you. So I agree with dabuddha about this being a selfish act.

Even with all the problems we have in this world, life is too short, and there are too many things I would like to accomplish, and many high (probably impossible) goals to reach.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006

Well said. My wife and I watched several episodes last night. He just always seemed like an eternal figure to me. The world could stop spinning, and he'd be sitting under a tent in Thailand eating noodles and discussing socioeconomic issues.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I guess I do not have an understanding nature as far as suicide is concerned. Sure, I've have/had plenty of bad times in my life in which I struggle, but if I had ever felt that low, I'd seek help. Too many problems to even list, but I would never put them on a public forum. I've always thought about of all the collateral damage of this type of decision. You are not just killing yourself, but doing great harm to those who love you. So I agree with dabuddha about this being a selfish act.

Even with all the problems we have in this world, life is too short, and there are too many things I would like to accomplish, and many high (probably impossible) goals to reach.

suicide is transferring your pain to others. its a cowards way out.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
suicide is transferring your pain to others. its a cowards way out.

I think that every case is different, and we can't possibly begin to understand the mental state that someone willing to end it all is in that ultimately leads them to that decision/action. It's far too complex to generalize.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I'd probably be more likely to buy bacon if it had a picture of a cute pig on it...

You ever go to a county/state fair and check out the prize pigs, all clean and delicious looking? I just want to cut a slab of bacon off them.

Reactions: Jon-T

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Did anyone watch the Hong Kong episode and did it feel kinda dark and depressing to you? Either that or I'm still clouded by his death.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
20180610_GH_BOURDAIN_1015.jpg

DfnWySYUYAAJ4g7.jpg:large

Reactions: KMFJD and Zeze

Jon-T

Jun 5, 2011
Some vegans are nuts.

Sounds like someone isn't getting enough Omega 3s in their diet. (an essential brain nutrient, thought it can also be found in nuts. Without nuts you go nuts)
Hope he doesn't go into Google and shoot the place up like that vegan chick did.