RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
RIP. I love that guy especially his trips to Asia to eat crazy stuff and get drunk with the locals.
Can someone explain to a simple person me what mental illness is like that drives a person to this?
I find it hard to relate or try to understand for the person that seem to have it all but is so desperate. My simple mind get happy and sad for same reason most do but can’t wrap my head beyond that.

Complete and utter despair. You cannot see a way out other than ending it all.

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
Fucking hell. This hits me harder than Kate Spade's death (even though it's just as sad).

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Wow that's really sad, my gf and I love his shows and we've been watching through the new season of Parts Unknown. I've struggled with depression myself and it's a really hard thing to get through and people can be really good at hiding it from other people. I wonder if he was getting help, but that's not a sure thing to really help with it.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I'm so damn angry right now I could snap kitchen knives.

3 his books are still on my night stand this morning.

Bourdain has been my idol since the late 90s, always felt a kinship with him as we both traveled a lot as kids, and as adults saw food as the most interesting portion of anthropology.

I just had to put my dog down too. This is horrible. My heart goes out to his girls, and also to Eric Ripert. I have a special kind of anguish and sympathy for the friend that makes the discovery. :confounded:

Last edited:

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
My sister is devastated by the news. We watched a lot of episodes together.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
RIP. I love that guy especially his trips to Asia to eat crazy stuff and get drunk with the locals.
Can someone explain to a simple person me what mental illness is like that drives a person to this?
I find it hard to relate or try to understand for the person that seem to have it all but is so desperate. My simple mind get happy and sad for same reason most do but can’t wrap my head beyond that.

This explains it better than i ever could

Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.

-David Foster Wallace

and with this post @RossMAN wins, imma go cry now

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It was long clear to me that he was troubled and had issues dealing with his success as to how it related to his unhappiness. Seemed to think that even though he had what many people would consider to be everything that one day something would catch up to him or that if he wasn't "happy" that it was somehow a failing on his part. You can see some similar threads in the lives of other artists who have committed suicide as well, some with more public fights with depression than others. To me his struggle always felt pretty overt if you watched him closely.

Bourdain's relatability, openness, intelligence, and broad decency shined through his work in a way that made him approachable to a broader audience than most. He made us look at incredible things, terrible things, and confusing things. He could be funny without demeaning, questioning without being insulting, and transfer a sense of wonder that is sorely lacking in daily life. Rare gifts which make the loss all the more painful.

He took millions of Americans out into the world. The real world full of real people we got to meet, not the world of guide books or sanitized TV travelogues. For that we should be grateful.

Noah Abrams

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2018
Those lines by David Foster Wallace (who himself ended up jumping from the window) are not very illuminating. The question of the modern civilization is of the fire itself, the existential angst.

Reactions: Captante

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
great tv personality but he is a piece of shit for offing himself. his poor daughter, so sad.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
To anyone who has just seen his shows, I urge you to read his books and read some interviews with him. Also watch some videos of his speaking tour engagements.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Here's the thing about addiction or mental health issues that cause people to commit suicide. It happens every single day everywhere. It's just that when we hear about famous people doing it, we realize it's an issue. This is a huge problem everyday that probably affects someone you personally know too. Don't take the signs lightly.

Reactions: Darwin333

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
great tv personality but he is a piece of shit for offing himself. his poor daughter, so sad.
Yeah, I went to school with a guy who's son killed himself a few years ago. This guy is totally messed up now. His life was forever changed.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Bourdain was my fucking hero. One of the main reasons why I started traveling was because of him. :(

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
and with this post @RossMAN wins, imma go cry now

bfmd41m.png

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
This is a sad one. I love Parts Unknown and he seemed like a genuinely charismatic and kind person. His narration on his show was absolutely perfect. I think either the Thailand or Iran episode were my favorite.

Not extremely surprising, though, as he did have drug problems earlier in life - those can have a way of catching up to you. I think he talks about it on the New Jersey episode, where he grew up.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
FYI Netflix announced n May that seasons 1 through 8 of Parts Unknown will be leaving Netflix on June 16th. Hopefully they extend after this event but if not. This is your chance to watch

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
awww not the PC response you wanted? fuck him,

huh? I point out abject ignorance, and the typical, well-documented lack of empathy or even simple curiosity from a standard example of the common conservative mind, and you call that "proudly PC"?

Your total lack of participation in a world that is never governed by absolutes is noted, but don't expect anyone to respect you over this personal choice.

Reactions: brianmanahan

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Here's a clip from the Iran episode. Definitely watch the full episode if you haven't.

This quote from his obituary on CNN is so true:

"He's irreverent, honest, curious, never condescending, never obsequious," the judges said. "People open up to him and, in doing so, often reveal more about their hometowns or homelands than a traditional reporter could hope to document."

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
RIP sir.

Sadly as Michelle Wolf stated you were the only real reason to watch CNN

My sincerest condolences to Anthony Bourdain's family

_____

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
huh? I point out abject ignorance, and the typical, well-documented lack of empathy or even simple curiosity from a standard example of the common conservative mind, and you call that "proudly PC"?

Your total lack of participation in a world that is never governed by absolutes is noted, but don't expect anyone to respect you over this personal choice.

no dummy. I like Bourdaine and admired him, until he fucking killed himself leaving behind a little girl who is like WTF where my daddy? I have zero respect for people who commit suicide. if you don't like my position on the matter I don't care.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
FYI Netflix announced n May that seasons 1 through 8 of Parts Unknown will be leaving Netflix on June 16th. Hopefully they extend after this event but if not. This is your chance to watch

They've extended it a few times before this as well. I think their negotiations with CNN always take until the final hour.