RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
What a shame, he always looked so full of life and I would have never expected him to commit suicide. Not often that I'll miss someone but he's definitely one of them.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i like his show. seems very genuine.
never thought suicide. maybe dead from some of the strange food he ate. seems like he had it all.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
It goes to show you how even the rich and famous have their problems ... and some of those problems cannot be overcome by being rich and famous. Kate Spade is another example ...

This. They apparently had it all, and yet it wasn't enough to help them achieve happiness. That's just so sad.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The guy lived more in a month than most of us will in our lifetime. Definitely a guy with some demons but that seems to be case with many revolutionaries like him. His shows are some of our favorites.

Reactions: PottedMeat

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Very sad. He was a rather dark dude his whole life, recovering from heroin addiction that brought him down pretty hard. In a New Yorker profile a few years ago, he commented something along the lines of "I travel constantly because I feel like if I don't, something is going to catch up with me and I won't know what to do."

Seems kind of common with these high-energy, full-of-life entertainers that appear to have everything going for them. A lot of that is a mask, especially with recovering addicts. Think Chris Farley, Robin Williams, et al.

Reactions: yhelothar

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Back when I had cable TV, I used to love watching his No Reservation show on the Travel Channel learning about the different cultures and food they ate. I'm sad about his death as he was sort of inspiration in regards to food and travel.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Most of these celebrity deaths make me sad at the situation but not really too sad on a personal level but Bourdain was special. I've read a few of his books and watched many shows. He was a refreshing voice on the television which is full of bland and generic hosts, but not him. I've battled mental illness and addiction so I get it but it doesn't make it easier to understand, when someone has so so much to live for.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Very sad. He was a rather dark dude his whole life, recovering from heroin addiction that brought him down pretty hard. In a New Yorker profile a few years ago, he commented something along the lines of "I travel constantly because I feel like if I don't, something is going to catch up with me and I won't know what to do."

Seems kind of common with these high-energy, full-of-life entertainers that appear to have everything going for them. A lot of that is a mask, especially with recovering addicts. Think Chris Farley, Robin Williams, et al.

I always thought his show had some dark undertones and there was something a little off about him. His book Kitchen Confidential was very good but it kind of revealed the dark side of the restaurant business.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Thought he had it all - money, traveling the world, a certain prestiege, won all the respected awards (i.e. Peabody aware).

This one hits me home. My ex got me into his No Reservations in my 20's. I loved his anti-hero persona (who didn't?). I watched all of his episodes then his Parts Unknown.

I'm pretty bummed out mental health claimed another life.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I always thought his show had some dark undertones and there was something a little off about him. His book Kitchen Confidential was very good but it kind of revealed the dark side of the restaurant business.

Those dark undertones were just the fact that the show was more real than most travel shows, as it was more honest and not like a cruise ship brochure. Bourdain also battled addictions, including with heroin, which he wrote about in his books and also spoke of honestly. He had a personal dark side of demons for sure.

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
Most of these celebrity deaths make me sad at the situation but not really too sad on a personal level but Bourdain was special. I've read a few of his books and watched many shows. He was a refreshing voice on the television which is full of bland and generic hosts, but not him.

This plus a million. Kate Spade also passed away, and while I felt bad for her daughter, I wasn't "bummed". Bourdain's passing brought me down on what started out as a good day. Loved his shows, his attitude toward life, and his all around energy. Definitely had some demons in his early days in NYC, but it seemed like maybe he had escaped them. Just a total bummer of a day.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Frank. Introspective. Thoughtful. Meticulous. Descriptive.

Anthony Bourdain was not your typical travel show host. Most try to paint a picture akin to that of an over the top and giddy cruise ship brochure - but not Bourdain - he was simply honest and gritty. Full of insight and bursting with candor, Bourdain cooked up empathetic views of other cultures, painting them in colors an American palate could understand, while still not losing their authenticity. He took us on grand tours of both simple and complex things, ideas and people, and narrated them into symphonies both light and dark. He will be missed.

And he was an activist, struggling to make right some of the wrongs from the past and build a better future for his daughter.

Definitely recommend reading his books and reading his interviews. RIP Bourdain.

I will always regret not going to one of his speaking tour events. I always kept pushing it off as something to do in the future but now I'm downright regretful at having slacked. Damnit.

Reactions: Zeze

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
RIP. I love that guy especially his trips to Asia to eat crazy stuff and get drunk with the locals.
Can someone explain to a simple person me what mental illness is like that drives a person to this?
I find it hard to relate or try to understand for the person that seem to have it all but is so desperate. My simple mind get happy and sad for same reason most do but can’t wrap my head beyond that.