RIFT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'd rather not go through the download and install process if i don't have to.

Then do it on Steam, which is automated and easier.

WAIT!!

you dont have to do any of that.
Just go to their website and see if you can still log in.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
I played this game for like 5 months at release. Loved the game and had a great guild, but slowly people started to quit playing, guild stuff trailed off since fewer people played, and then got tired of doing the same dungeons and stuff over and over.

I tried to play again when it went F2P but couldn't get back into it. This has happened with almost every MMO I have played.

Can I play my old subscription character as F2P or would I have to re-subscribe to play that character?

Yes you can still use your old character. Just tried it today.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I played this game for like 5 months at release. Loved the game and had a great guild, but slowly people started to quit playing, guild stuff trailed off since fewer people played, and then got tired of doing the same dungeons and stuff over and over.

I tried to play again when it went F2P but couldn't get back into it. This has happened with almost every MMO I have played.

Can I play my old subscription character as F2P or would I have to re-subscribe to play that character?

I find there's a ton to do.

You can play the old character - the only thing is it's likely on the 'reclaim' server that's empty for old characters and you'll have to transfer each char, free and instant.

You don't lose anything you had I can think of. You'll just need to update the game to all kinds of new content.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Alright, I dont know what happened. But we got a fire, air, and death invasion all at the same time. We took care of the fire mages, cracked some stones, and apparently my team killed a big nasty fire demon named Xoulogohatzen or something. I couldnt get there, but I received two corrupted sourcestones.

How do I get up to silverwood? I'm only level 12 and some level 18 elf thingies keep zapping me dead on my way up!

Is Silverwood your faction's zone or an enemy zone?

If your home city is Sanctum, it should be easy. If Meridian, you don't need to go there yet.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'm a Guardian, Silverwood is my territory.
The elf witches are generic enemies, not opposing members.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
my character is still there. I forgot I had actually accessed it when i tried it when it went F2P. Everything is reset skill-wise and it seems they changed a lot of skills. might be best to start over at this point, i dunno.

But then starting over sucks, especially with no guild or friends to play with.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Finally hit 15.

Got a mount. A pet. A sigil. Some lesser essences, and a few basic Planar items like armor and a weapon.

What does it mean to set my Mentor level?

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
What does it mean to set my Mentor level?

If you're playing with a friend who for whatever reason isn't as high a level as you are you can temporarily lower your level by right clicking your character icon and selecting Mentor or similarly named option under the submenu.

You're now mentored down to his level.

Just remember to reset your character's level back when you are done.

my character is still there. I forgot I had actually accessed it when i tried it when it went F2P. Everything is reset skill-wise and it seems they changed a lot of skills. might be best to start over at this point, i dunno.

But then starting over sucks, especially with no guild or friends to play with.

The guides on the game's official website forums are rather informative and can help you figure out how to set up your character again.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
got some skills. Crafting basic junk, for sale.
I don't have the right combination of abilities to make my own gear. But there's a lot of quests for turning in junk to collectors.

I hate that I have to purchase expensive recipes from trainers and craftsman. The junk I'm selling off hardly makes up for the cost.

Am also not seeing the point of having my own personal dimension. Does it do anything for me?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Haven't played in a long time, anyone have links to reading about current state/how to set your souls?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Haven't played in a long time, anyone have links to reading about current state/how to set your souls?

I'd check the official forums (riftgame.com) and google on the topics for quite a bit of info on souls, in addition to the premade ones the game has.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
got some skills. Crafting basic junk, for sale.
I don't have the right combination of abilities to make my own gear. But there's a lot of quests for turning in junk to collectors.

I hate that I have to purchase expensive recipes from trainers and craftsman. The junk I'm selling off hardly makes up for the cost.

Am also not seeing the point of having my own personal dimension. Does it do anything for me?

We could make suggestion on professions for you.

Two basic choices: you can go gathering - butcher, miner, forager, and sell the stuff - or you can pick a combo.

One combo for you as a warrior: mining, armorsmith, weaponsmith.

Or, you could get foraging and apothecary and a third - potions are great for warriors.

No real advantage to your dimension - just 'for fun'. You need to put dimension items you get somewhere...

You could just sell them, though. Don't forget to level fishing/survival.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah I'm leveling my stats. Only way to get new recipes. And thats the only way to fulfill fetch quests.
Which I hate. But i need the easy XP so Rifts dont kick my ass.

Oh, I did a low level Rift all by myself. That was fun.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If I'm a tank what should I be doing for my group?

Cuz if its blocking or occupying enemies then I dont think I'm being very helpful. The wizards keep dashing around, drawing in multiple enemies, and I cant protect anyone. The rangers keep getting bum-rushed and I'm never able to move in fast enough before they die.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If I'm a tank what should I be doing for my group?

Cuz if its blocking or occupying enemies then I dont think I'm being very helpful. The wizards keep dashing around, drawing in multiple enemies, and I cant protect anyone. The rangers keep getting bum-rushed and I'm never able to move in fast enough before they die.

The tank's role is to make the enemies attack you instead of the rest of the group.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Am I the only person with 25 incomplete artifact sets?

No, I'm sure I have hundreds.

They actually sell for quite a bit if you want to do that instead for now.

When there's an 'unstable event' in a zone, different blue artifacts spawn that are much more valuable.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The tank's role is to make the enemies attack you instead of the rest of the group.

ok, well, I got one ability that forces a single enemy to attack me, and I got one that draws a single enemy over to me, hoping he will attack.

I also got plenty of sweep abilities. And I reconfigured my skillset. Now its Champion, Sentinel, Paladin, with enough points in Paladin to cast direct healing spells, and plenty of armor buffs and passives.

I stay alive much longer, but I dont kill enemies as efficiently.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I just realized theres actually a crapload of people in this game but the vast majority do PvP exclusively in warfront zones.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I just realized theres actually a crapload of people in this game but the vast majority do PvP exclusively in warfront zones.

While there are many who PvP it might also depend on your server. Although with the latest patch it's easy to get to another server (not that it was hard at all for a while).

Here is a guide for when you get to level 60. there is quite a lot of content you can do.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1443812-The-One-Level-60-Guide-Updated-for-2-5

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-discussions/rift-guides-strategies/410431-one-level-60-guide.html

There has of course been 2 patches since the guide was posted but it is still a good jumping off point to get into the PvE side of things.

I see you started out as a warrior and I'll tell you from personal experience that you should try all of the tank souls that you can. 3 of them are available without buying the extra soul packs.

You might find that you agree with me that while a warrior would seem to best but in terms of personal tastes/style of play Cleric and Rogue tanking beat out the warrior tanking souls.

If you want an all around character that has the widest variety of play styles without purchasing the extra souls Clerics can heal, dps and tank (in order of the options they have for those tasks)

If you are willing to purchase the souls then you might find the Mage a better option since depending on which role you like to play in PvE content for an mmo.

As for soloing going with a tanking soul and then other sub-souls is terrible. since the dps is lacking.

Warriors have a good option for a solo farming/world questing spec that you use when not tanking.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#7k2S9iQyw/8hhkFa9l9i/V

More information about the above spec is provided in post #22 of this page

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-dis...ind-solo-farm-godmode-spec-2.html#post4612618

if you don't have Tempest you can use Voidknight or Reaver for the 0 point soul. the former gives you a survivability buff and Reaver gives you a ranged damage ability.

The above build for Warriors has decent to good Single Target and Area of Effect (multi-target) damage balanced with a decent amount of survivability through some self healing and more armor and resistance to non-physical damage than just a pure damage build. You should be able to take down some Elite mobs of similar level to you one on one as long as your gear is decent for your character level.

having multiple specs isn't too much of a problem since the first few extra that you can buy aren't too expensive.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Shorty, one more thing a tank should do: yell at your group members who initiate contact and get killed. Tell them it's up to the tank to pull enemies, not them.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
My Rogue was on of the first ones to have one of the armored Gorilla mounts at the time, I even forget what they were called, used to go up there in the front end of the Castle area and solo a lot.

Tempted to do it again but nah :p

PVP was fun a bit, used to miff people off getting in groups and going bard type and buffing and doing stuff.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Alright, reconfigured (again) as a Slayer. Back to killing enemies quickly. So far enjoying it.
Building up attack points faster than I can spend them.