Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
RIFT is an MMO of the EQ/World of Warcraft type, fantasy setting.

Like most, it went 'free to play' and seems to have done pretty well with that.

I'd describe RIFT as more than anything, 'make a game like WoW, but make improvements to ease of use features'.

So there are countless ways Rift is just a bit more usable - things like when you craft, materials in your bank being available as well. Things like being able to turn in many quests without returning to a quest giver (and many where you don't even have to get them from a quest giver).

RIFT is also one of the most flexible at making pretty much any role available to any class - rogue healers, Mage tanks, and so on. You might or might not like that but it's flexible.

It's a pretty big game world with tons to do - you can raid, quest, craft, pvp, the usual MMO things. Advancement seems pretty speedy.

The 'free to play' includes all the content, with the restrictions being things like character slots, and two each of the specs for each class, with most free. The paid-for ones are not viewed as superior 'play to win', but more 'nice to have' extra options. The payments include specific things like those specs, as well as the subscription that includes things from temporary buffs to the rewards - more experience, more tokens, more faction - and better daily and weekly 'gifts' and a few other things.

One of my favorite things about the game is that they make some effort to reward exploration - I really like the 'artifact' system, where you find items hidden around the game world, behind rocks and under bushes, though that has become a bit overdone now by offering 'tracking' of the artifacts allowing the 'pro' players to collect massive amounts of them, and a tradeskill based on them, one that creates player housing items.

There are also a few puzzles and hidden rewards in hard to find places.

My biggest criticism might be that some of the game can feel pretty 'generic'. They have things like snow zones, desert zones, and so on, like MMO's typically do, but they feel a bit generic to me compared to what the co-author of Zork once described to me as the 'clearly lovingly created world in World of Warcraft'. For example, RIFT's music is ok, but I can still hear the EQ theme song, not RIFT's.

There are four 'classes' - Warrior, Rogue, Cleric, Mage - though as I said, that means less with the hugely flexible 'specs', and you can have multiple 'specs' available to switch.

Some are what you'd expect - for example, of the dozen or so themes for mage - and specs are made of picking from three trees - there are the 'pyro' blaster, the elemental pet mage, the necromancer - but also things like the 'stormcaller', the 'chloromancer' healing spec, the harbinger 'melee dps' spec, and so on - and you can, say, mix the melee and heal specs.

My playing currently - before the end game raid stuff that every MMO seems to offer - is mainly questing, some zone events, crafting, and artifact hunting.

The name of the game comes from a design feature called rifts - which are 'events' in the game used for all kinds of activities, but basically involve having a bunch of monsters show up in random spots needing to be killed, offering on the spot rewards. Some are larger events, all day zones will get the type of event that might take an hour of players killing things, closing 'rifts', and finally fighting one or more bosses, with rewards if they win.

The game started out with a strong conflict between two 'sides' of players who couldn't even talk if I recall, that has been pretty much abandoned to not mattering in the game. Now the two factions talk, are in the same guild, play together where there's pretty much no real difference.

Professions include three gathering - butchering (skinning animals you kill), mining and foraging (collecting plants and wood); crafting includes cloth/leather armor, chain/plate armor, potions, 'artificer' (rings/necklaces/staffs/wands), something called 'runecrafting' making items that improve weapons and armor, and that player housing crafting.

Each character can pick three professions (more can be purchased) - so there's a big benefit to alts to get more - and each character gets two more professions, fishing and 'survival' which basically uses the fish and meats found in game to make mostly food-based items (some with stat bonuses).

It's a pretty well done system; crafters can make items that can be added to rescipes to improve the item, for example, and items can be 'broken' to get materials for crafting.

One thing players will likely notice on the cost is that to sell things in the auction house, players have to buy $5 in game credits as a one-time purchase.

The website: www.riftgame.com

See post #15.

Anandtech Administrator
KeithTalent

Edit: after reviewing the old threads, they seem to be quite...old. Re-opened this for ongoing discussion.

Anandtech Administrator
KeithTalent

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I've been waaayyyy to busy to long in much lately, but I've heard from several that they are quite happy with the f2p model they've used. Feels the least restrictive of the freemium game types they've played.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
It really is a great game; I should get back into it. I have quite a high level healer. For some reason I just stopped playing...

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
I killed 5 months in this game over the winter and had a blast. I had been out of wow for a year and looking for a fix and rift had it. Unfortunately I stopped playing because its end game was un user friendly. Unless you were in a guild doing all the raids and had gotten all the achievements you had little chance of pugging raids. Well while I was in a guild, the reason I left wow was because I couldn't keep a specific schedule for raids. So I was stuck doing rifts and dungeons and got tired of it.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
I used to play Rift when it was first released. Only played a month, then work just got too heavy.

I tend to be more of a solo type ever since the implosion of my WoW guild back in the day. Is this game fairly solo friendly?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Used to be one of the top Rogues in the game when it came out, just haven't played it at all in a long time.

Had some pretty good PVP fights in there when was in The Manhattan Project once upon a time.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I used to play Rift when it was first released. Only played a month, then work just got too heavy.

I tend to be more of a solo type ever since the implosion of my WoW guild back in the day. Is this game fairly solo friendly?

I'm going to say yes, and that there are also very casual guilds.

Of course by top level, the gameplay would be a bit limited - craft, sell, pickup dungeons etc.

One thing the game has that extends playability is temporarily lowering your level to play a variety of things such as the zone events and still get benefits.

I've always played the game mostly solo and that's been fine.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
It is no more or less solo friendly then wow was. Great rifts and raid rifts need to be joined but aside from faction and tokens, you don't see much loot from them unless your leading and buy the lures. There is no lfr so no achievements and gear, no pug raids.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Played a ton of Rift when it first came out. Max level and everything. Now I'm playing Guild Wars 2 because it isn't f2p. You buy the game and can play it, optionally buying gems with real money for a special store. It has all the conveniences Rift does, and the dynamic events too. There's always something going on.

Not to say Rift is bad. I really enjoyed it. GW2 just fills my MMO fix in similar ways that you're defining.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Shorty lickens joined, cuz steam kept nagging me.

It feels a lot like Guild Wars, except for the pocket dimensions (which near as I can tell arent actually useful in anyway).

I hate all the grocery list quests, but it seems you need them for easy levels in between storyline quests.

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
Played a ton of Rift when it first came out. Max level and everything. Now I'm playing Guild Wars 2 because it isn't f2p. You buy the game and can play it, optionally buying gems with real money for a special store. It has all the conveniences Rift does, and the dynamic events too. There's always something going on.

Not to say Rift is bad. I really enjoyed it. GW2 just fills my MMO fix in similar ways that you're defining.
Any tips on GW2?

What level are you currently?

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
In my opinion it's the best F2P MMO, you can experience basically all of the game free and the store is well balanced enough to be worth considering buying things but never feel the need that you HAVE to.

My only problem with it is that at the end of the day it's still very much the same bored old MMO theme, if you're still excited by MMOs then give it a go, but if you're bored of all the MMO clones out there then it wont hold your attention for very long.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I **REMOVED** up.

Joined an Instant Adventure, got teleported WAY out of my safe area, died quickly, now my soul is a long ways off thru unfamiliar territory. I cant even find it.

Any way out of this?

Please stop cursing in PCG shorty. I know you can do it.

Anandtech Administrator
KeithTalent

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I **REMOVED** up.

Joined an Instant Adventure, got teleported WAY out of my safe area, died quickly, now my soul is a long ways off thru unfamiliar territory. I cant even find it.

Any way out of this?

I sent you a PM, but for anyone's info: the game lets you hit a button to go to a safe spot that will resurrect you, and you can port out from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If you do try the game, before long I suggest having alts - up to one of each of the four classes, for a few reasons.

1. The diversity of play - tired of that mage? Then tank or be a rogue or heal.

2. Tradeskills. The game lets you buy more than the 3 free tradeskills, but it's free to have 3 more on each alt.

3. It lets you see different parts of the game - one char can do one quest series and level in one zone, another can do another.

4. It helps you play better to understand each class better.

5. There can be benefits, such as if you buy 'patron' (subscription) and get the 30 minutes a day tracking to find artifacts - that's 30 minutes per character.

6. Mailing between chars helps with limited storage.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Picked champion, beastmaster, and paladin.

Found a basic combo that kills any normal monster: 1 Bull Rush, 2 Cutting Slash, and finish off with a Punishing Blow.
Also have a rifle but no special skills and it does piss poor damage.

My pet is a saber tooth tiger with a mohawk. I like him.

Got to Sanctum and found out theres lots of cool stuff I can do aside from the pocket dimension.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I just haven't done them at all lately myself.

Even have a guy I work with has a pretty high level GW2 account he isn't playing and offered to let me try it out, and just not in the mood I guess.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Alright, I dont know what happened. But we got a fire, air, and death invasion all at the same time. We took care of the fire mages, cracked some stones, and apparently my team killed a big nasty fire demon named Xoulogohatzen or something. I couldnt get there, but I received two corrupted sourcestones.

How do I get up to silverwood? I'm only level 12 and some level 18 elf thingies keep zapping me dead on my way up!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I played this game for like 5 months at release. Loved the game and had a great guild, but slowly people started to quit playing, guild stuff trailed off since fewer people played, and then got tired of doing the same dungeons and stuff over and over.

I tried to play again when it went F2P but couldn't get back into it. This has happened with almost every MMO I have played.

Can I play my old subscription character as F2P or would I have to re-subscribe to play that character?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I played this game for like 5 months at release. Loved the game and had a great guild, but slowly people started to quit playing, guild stuff trailed off since fewer people played, and then got tired of doing the same dungeons and stuff over and over.

I tried to play again when it went F2P but couldn't get back into it. This has happened with almost every MMO I have played.

Can I play my old subscription character as F2P or would I have to re-subscribe to play that character?

log in and see. You can still get a subscription even today. It just gets you extra goodies.