Ridiculous Mod: Baldur's Gate in 3d (took 7 years to make)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
the HD rerelease of baldur's gate was JUST released in january. it's STILL currently $20.

so i could totally see someone getting mad enough about this to try and shut it down. i for one passed on the rerelease because of the price... and am now playing this for free 6 months later.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
the HD rerelease of baldur's gate was JUST released in january. it's STILL currently $20.

so i could totally see someone getting mad enough about this to try and shut it down. i for one passed on the rerelease because of the price... and am now playing this for free 6 months later.

The Enhanced Edition wasn't an HD release. Graphics were the same.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
The Enhanced Edition wasn't an HD release. Graphics were the same.

And they are totally different games. Someone who really loves 2D isometric old school RPGs is not at all likely to pick this mod over BG:EE.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Someone who really loves 2D isometric old school RPGs is not at all likely to pick this mod over BG:EE.

I thought of this too and completely agree. I was thinking it would be awesome to have a 3d mod for BGII (which I have not yet played - but will start soon). But then I thought: part of charm of these games is the old school feel. It's one thing to mod so that the 2d game fits 1920 x 1080....but entirely another thing to go from 2d to 3d!

Still, it's hard not to appreciate this guy's seven years of awesome work.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
Kudos for his endurance, but I still think that BG is not meant for NWN 2's engine. Not just because infinity engine is very picturesque and still good looking, but also because the the whole game system is just not made for it. Although I would love to give it a try, just to see how it looks. Too bad that Baldur's Gate is accessible only very late in the game, because next to Candlekeep, it's the first location I would like to see.