Riddle me this...

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I have a small drip leak in the basement (relief valve). I put a 2-gallon bucket under it. If I put another smaller 2-qt bucket within that bucket, does it allow me more volume before I have to clear it?

Last edited:

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
You lost volume, the 2nd bucket takes up space that now can't be occupied by water. But if you fill the 2nd bucket with sponges you gain that space back and then some. Cram all the other free spaces with Bounty paper towels and you have essentially unlimited absorption, you'll never have to fix the leak.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
^ well yeah that makes sense... it basically replaces the space it would've taken. I can't even say I haven't had my coffee yet.

P.S. What about ShamWOW!??!!?!?!?!?

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
^ well yeah that makes sense... it basically replaces the space it would've taken. I can't even say I haven't had my coffee yet.

Well the coffee doesn't help much with cognition if it's 50% whisky.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
No. The smaller container does not grant extra volume when its within the larger container. And the object itself takes up a small amount of space.

Reactions: Captante

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

you need to send the Vince Signal.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
No. The smaller container does not grant extra volume when its within the larger container. And the object itself takes up a small amount of space.

You know, that isn't necessarily true. If the smaller bucket fits entirely within the bigger bucket you lose the space equal to the volume of the material of the bucket. But if the small bucket is an odd shape, tall and skinny like a test tube on steroids and project up well beyond the rim of the large bucket then you could gain space.

Or for that matter, cover the big bucket with a mesh screen and place the little bucket on top of the screen. The small bucket fills first and overflows into the larger bucket, so you get the complete storage volume of both buckets.

You could even stack many many buckets.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Hey I was hoping it would buy me more time at the very least! 2 buckets!!!!!!

If infomercials are to be believed you need to buy a load of flextape. Then you saw a boat in half, tape it back together and float around your flooded basement like a boss.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I have a small drip leak in the basement (relief valve). I put a 2-gallon bucket under it. If I put another smaller 2-qt bucket within that bucket, does it allow me more volume before I have to clear it?
Depends on if the smaller bucket floats in the bigger bucket when both are full of water. You could potentially gain 2qt in that 2gal bucket if it can perfectly float at the top without breaking water tension (it cannot), or somewhat less if it can kinda float at the top (like if it's made of styrofoam). You're likely to end up with a little leakage though unless you can maintain the position of the floaty bucket.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Get out of here with your crazy talk. Why would he fix anything that delay until it becomes a disaster?

Two months later...

"I have a basement full of water. I have my wife fill buckets of water and take them out. If I get another smaller wife and put her in the bucket, does it allow my wife more time to make me sandwiches?"

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Two months later...

"I have a basement full of water. I have my wife fill buckets of water and take them out. If I get another smaller wife and put her in the bucket, does it allow my wife more time to make me sandwiches?"
Any mormans here?

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Two months later...

If it's okay to get a smaller wife that's going to be a real game changer.

Reactions: highland145

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

No.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
If the smaller bucket was significantly taller than the larger bucket then you might have something. Or if you put two sticks across the mouth of the larger bucket to elevate the smaller one completely out of the larger. Then you would have the capacity of both before having to empty them, assuming all the water spilling out of the small bucket ends up in the larger.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
But if the small bucket is an odd shape, tall and skinny like a test tube on steroids and project up well beyond the rim of the large bucket then you could gain space.
I like your train of thought. But, it violates the terms of the OP. A tall skinny test tube that exceeds the bucket's limits is not "within" the bucket. Nor is stacking buckets on top of the other bucket "within" the other bucket.
not beyond the quantity, degree, or limitations of

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Should I mention that the larger bucket also has a pinhole? And the leak may contain flakes of foreign matter...