Richland & Kabini rumours

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
(Oh nos, car analogy inc!)

I've always visualized Bulldozer as a very un-tuned big block motor with a tremendous amount of power (computing) potential, and to a trained engineer, it's probably a dream to work on given the amount of optimizing that can be done. I'm excited for Steamroller, and I'm very excited to see what Excavator can bring us.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
(Oh nos, car analogy inc!)

I've always visualized Bulldozer as a very un-tuned big block motor with a tremendous amount of power (computing) potential, and to a trained engineer, it's probably a dream to work on given the amount of optimizing that can be done. I'm excited for Steamroller, and I'm very excited to see what Excavator can bring us.

Yeaa its like an american car; uses lots of gas, have lousy performance, and only stays in production because of more political reasons.

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
AMD-Power-Data1.png

Regarding the "rest of system" power numbers - any idea why the system would consume 1.5W less power during 720p playback for the Richland setup versus the Trinity setup?

Shouldn't the "rest of system" power usage be identical between both setups? Unless they used different setup and did not normalize this hardware aspect?

The power usage is also suspiciously low. I would guess we are running a barebones 11 inch 720p screen (with SSD) because any 15.6 inch screen + rest of system is going to consume more than 3.5 watts at idle.

SocketF

Jun 2, 2006
AMD-Power-Data1.png

Regarding the "rest of system" power numbers - any idea why the system would consume 1.5W less power during 720p playback for the Richland setup versus the Trinity setup?

Shouldn't the "rest of system" power usage be identical between both setups? Unless they used different setup and did not normalize this hardware aspect?

There was a NDA-webcast available last week, which I also listened to. In the Q&A session at the end, one guy exactly ask that question to the AMD presenters, the answer is clear: 2 different platforms.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Is Trinity based console that Valve was touting at CES (made by xi3) already for sale?
http://www.xi3.com/news.php?id=907
http://xi3.com/buy_now-piston.php

Pretty expensive IMO,but comes with SSD.
Configurations
Primary Storage: 128GB SSD
Hard Drive Standard- Internal 128GB SSD
8GB RAM
3.2Ghz Quad Core (R464)
R464 is mobile Trinity @2.3-3.2Ghz and 35W TDP.

Bit-tech says it could be the Valve's console or at least a candidate for it.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/03/11/xi3-piston/1

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
On the human-loss scale of events to try and prevent/forewarn spanning 1982 to 2013, I have to imagine 9/11 ranks way down the list.

Not if you add in the consequences it had on the following decade's foreign policy...

[/politics]

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Should I be surprised that AMD hasn't updated its website to show the specs of these new chips? Or in fact, to mention them anywhere except for a PR? :)

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Since we only had an opportunity to see technical details of the products I'd say that no website received units to test. They mention the date 19th of March when it should launch so I assume reviewers will get laptops with these chips before that date.

From hardwarecanucks :
Stay tuned for our full Richland mobile review as systems become available.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Detailing Richland’s Dual Graphics & GCN Compatibility

We’ve since learned that Richland APUs are indeed fully compatible with the 28nm Graphics Core Next products within the HD 8000M (code named Solar System) lineup when used in Dual Graphics mode. Even though mixed Crossfire with identical architectures has been around for a while, this is the first time graphics cores from different architectural generations are able to work in concert with one another in an effort to boost framerates.

AMD-RICHLAND-8.png

Status
Not open for further replies.