Richland ES now out in the wild.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Did you watch the ARM/AMD talk? You might find it interesting if there's a recording or transcript (was that the one with Rory and the live mic?).

I tried logging in to watch the webcast but for some reason the connection kept getting dropped. I settled for just reading the synopsis given on hardware sites like AT. Now you've piqued my interest so I am going to have to see if the transcript is up on seekingalpha or elsewhere.

Mar 10, 2006
Here's what's likely going on:

AMD had a huge problem of inventories of Llano going stale, which led to some serious write-downs in the desktop space.

So I bet you Kaveri shows up for mobile in 2013, but desktop gets stuck with Richland (a socket compatible drop in), since mobile for AMD sells better, and you don't end up with a bunch of worthless mobos in the channel when you switch to a fundamentally new platform.

Just a thought.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009

AMD had a huge problem of inventories of Llano going stale, which led to some serious write-downs in the desktop space.

So I bet you Kaveri shows up for mobile in 2013, but desktop gets stuck with Richland (a socket compatible drop in), since mobile for AMD sells better, and you don't end up with a bunch of worthless mobos in the channel when you switch to a fundamentally new platform.

Just a thought.

Or that guy just got a Richland APU for testing. IMHO makes the most sense.

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012

There is nothing in the transcripts pointing out for a problem specifically in Llano for desktops, and once we factor that Llano performance isn't significantly worse in desktops than trinity and that Llano had a weak thermal performance for the mobile segment, the write down is likely to have affected more the mobile parts than desktop parts.

Maragark

Oct 2, 2012
First there were rumours of the consoles using APUs, then rumours of Kaveri being delayed. Has nobody else had the thought that the reason Kaveri may be delayed is because they're needed for the consoles?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Did you watch the ARM/AMD talk? You might find it interesting if there's a recording or transcript (was that the one with Rory and the live mic?).

OK I went back and was able to find a youtube video someone uploaded of the entire webcast...but I must admit I got maybe 3 minutes into it and my skin was crawling, I absolutely cannot stand listening to Rory speak.

It is something about his speech gait or enunciation or word choice, or something, but it makes my brain spasm. It can't take that much leadership all at once! Leadership overload.

Was there a particular timeframe in the webcast that I am looking for? I'm pretty sure I'd sooner burn my laptop than sit through 40+ minutes of that webcast. Seriously, is Rory like that all the time or was he just nervous/distracted/unfocused?

edit: here is the youtube vid I was watching, anyone brave enough to bask in the bright light of pure unadulterated Rory leadership can get them some starting just 10 seconds into the video :D (I am pretty sure I am technically supposed to flag this link as NSFW, it is truly that bad IMO)

Last edited:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
OK I went back and was able to find a youtube video someone uploaded of the entire webcast...but I must admit I got maybe 3 minutes into it and my skin was crawling, I absolutely cannot stand listening to Rory speak.

It is something about his speech gait or enunciation or word choice, or something, but it makes my brain spasm. It can't take that much leadership all at once! Leadership overload.

Was there a particular timeframe in the webcast that I am looking for? I'm pretty sure I'd sooner burn my laptop than sit through 40+ minutes of that webcast. Seriously, is Rory like that all the time or was he just nervous/distracted/unfocused?

edit: here is the youtube vid I was watching, anyone brave enough to bask in the bright light of pure unadulterated Rory leadership can get them some starting just 10 seconds into the video :D (I am pretty sure I am technically supposed to flag this link as NSFW, it is truly that bad IMO)

Well, I found the problem. He starts off talking about "AMD's core"... But see, AMD doesn't know what a core is (see BD modules), so they only have half of one, and thus half-baked plans.

It all makes sense now.

zlatan

Mar 15, 2011
AMD has everything that Calxeda needs except for one very important thing: money.
AMD has a fully tested and working fabric technology. This is the key for this market. That's why ARM want them. It is easier to sell the SeaMicro fabric. When facebook, and others want to buy many microservers, the first two question will be: Which fabric will be used, and how much runtime do they have in the past. The SeaMicro fabric is the most tested technology in the market. This is a huge advantage, because it's reliable.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

OMG, it's like listening to an actuary prattle on :'(

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
AMD has a fully tested and working fabric technology. This is the key for this market. That's why ARM want them. It is easier to sell the SeaMicro fabric. When facebook, and others want to buy many microservers, the first two question will be: Which fabric will be used, and how much runtime do they have in the past. The SeaMicro fabric is the most tested technology in the market. This is a huge advantage, because it's reliable.

I thought Facebook said it didn't care about proprietary architectures, because the change rate of technology is so high :confused:

MisterMac

Sep 16, 2011

That video just depresses me.

I'd feel pretty bad being an AMD shareholder or analyst at that presentation -_-

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
That video just depresses me.

I'd feel pretty bad being an AMD shareholder or analyst at that presentation -_-

So its not just me then, right?

I tried watching that, really I did, but the half-halting pace of Rory where he seems either lost in thought attempting to find every other word he wants to say or he thinks he is going to fast for the audience to absorb the rate-of-leadership flowing from his lips, just disturbs me like trying to use an old CRT monitor with a refresh rate set to a completely noticable 45Hz or some such o_O

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

I tried watching that, really I did, but the half-halting pace of Rory where he seems either lost in thought attempting to find every other word he wants to say or he thinks he is going to fast for the audience to absorb the rate-of-leadership flowing from his lips, just disturbs me like trying to use an old CRT monitor with a refresh rate set to a completely noticable 45Hz or some such o_O

I was thinking jim carrey but then the fun part didnt happen.

around 10 minutes in, he stops though and it gets somewhat more interresting .. Hope they can pull this ARM+Freedom(tm)Fabric off..

Last edited:

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
I think that's just how his regional accent melded with his business speaking courses, ;p.

Fits in with my personal completely unfounded imagination of the inside of AMD, an under resourced old school IBM.

tincart

Apr 15, 2010
It sounds like he's talking into a mirror, trying to convince himself.

The syllables he tends to emphasize are also strange. He seems to pronounce every word with a C as though it is the Most Important Word In The Sentence.

His hand gestures also remind me of an acid-tripping hippie I once saw at a Mastodon concert who was conjuring imaginary balls of energy with his hands. It's a good scene for a hippie, but for a CEO, not so much...

MisterMac

Sep 16, 2011

Honestly it feels like IBM\Corporate America circa Bill Gates\Ballmer heydays in the 90's.

The ultimate representation of the corporate salesman who says everything and nothing at the same time.

That's really really really disturbing to me - considering this is 2012.
He is not convincing in ANY way.

The panel after is even worse.
Are they trying to convince clueless investors?

Is the common "tech analyst" today this... ****** ********?
(take a geuss what the asteriks mean).

It just seems like they're trying to sell tech to someone who doesn't understand tech.
Which is again is scary if even semiconductor analysts don't understand basic computing principles :/

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012

Count me in too. I remember when I listened to his first EC.

I thought that something was wrong, but I let that slide, it was his first EC after all. In the second EC I was sure the guy wouldn't cut it.

He has two mental states, one is "OMG analysts are here! Panic! Panic!" in which he cannot give a straight answer even if one analyst asked his name, and the other is "I'm the Man who will turn this company around" where he spoon-feeds his audience with pasteurized concepts from his brilliant mind.

If we weren't talking about AMD, the guy would be a real exception on the Peter Principle, because as a CEO he would be well above his incompetence level, but we are talking about AMD, a company where more incompetence and delusion are never enough.

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009

Nah, not just you. I made it 3:19 before the recycled hand gestures and stapled together buzzwords got to me.

Still, not as bad as that time Ballmer got up on stage and went completely ape shizzle.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Still, not as bad as that time Ballmer got up on stage and went completely ape shizzle.

LOL. I regard that as one of the most ridiculous and disgusting executive performances of all time.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Nah, not just you. I made it 3:19 before the recycled hand gestures and stapled together buzzwords got to me.

Well said Tsavo, you nailed it on the description of that, uh, whatever...