Richland ES now out in the wild.

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by wlee15, Nov 16, 2012.

1. CTho9305

CTho9305 Elite Member

I think part of the problem is that, when left to his own devices, he's really animated (he always seemed genuine to me), but somebody told him not to be. By the way, the first question (at 47 minutes 20 seconds) is pretty good. Somewhere in this Q&A Rory loses his composure and reverts to his normal, excited self for a moment, which is amusing to watch. You kinda have to feel sorry for the guy... trying to run a struggling company, and having someone pick at his mannerisms.

#101 CTho9305, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  2. zlatan

zlatan Senior member

In software. But we talking about the hardware side.

3. SocketF

SocketF Senior member

Yes.

No, they were planned with 28nm, too. There was an official roadmap showing that:
    http://www.abload.de/img/fileiaa00.jpg

22nm was canceled long ago at GF and TSMC. Their next node is 20nm.

4. Idontcare

Idontcare Elite Member

Interesting, that puts things into a different perspective for me, thanks for sharing that.

So you think his halting speech pattern is more out of an attempt to micro-manage his own excitement and personality because he's been guided to filter it a bit. I can see that, it would certainly be something he would tackle to his best abilities.

I went back and listened to the Q&A as you suggested and you are right, it was much more comprehensive and reasonable, also didn't grate on me like the opening part. One thing I noticed, must be a technical glitch, but the audio is out of sync with the video by quite a few seconds. That issue may have been what was giving me the mental block issues with Rory at the beginning of his opening talk. (maybe?)

What I got out of the Q&A is that it is far more likely that AMD will be licensing freedomfabric to other ARM designers versus AMD acquiring a boutique ARM designer (as Apple did with PA Semi) for inhouse ARM design. So maybe we'll see a Calxeda or an Nvidia licensing freedomfabric?

5. CTho9305

CTho9305 Elite Member

The actual live stream was fine...it's just an issue with this guy's recording (and it is noticeably worse towards the end of the video than at the start). I can see why Rory's mannerisms would bug people, but they're the least of my concerns about AMD.

6. wlee15

wlee15 Senior member

Update
    Doesn't appear to be a Steamroller based so a little bit disappointing.

AMD has stated that they won't license their fabric to other cpu vendors.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...cense-seamicros-freedom-fabric-to-cpu-vendors

I seem them using the gpu model where AMD designs and sells all of the CPU and also makes reference designs for the daughtercards and compute systems which the OEM may choose to use or adapt for their own designs.

7. Ajay

Ajay Platinum Member

Wow, so Richland. What is even different in Richland?

-----------------------------------------------------
    Samsung is apparently working on an 8-core ARMv8 design, and they have their own fab. Maybe there is something to this ARM 64b server market, no need for an 8-core consumer ARM CPU.

8. nforce4max

nforce4max Member

Interesting read, I hate to say it but I am still holding out some tiny bit of hope that maybe Steamroller does make it to market. I do remember reading an article somewhere of some of the changes they had planed from Piledriver. Mainly a few fixes and some new logic design that reduced the transistor count without sacrificing performance. The rest was about new design tools instead of traditional methods.

9. Ajay

Ajay Platinum Member

They increased xtor densities. They didn't reduce xtor count AFAIK. AMD says Kaveri isn't cancelled, but everything else about AMD's current financial situation seems to say it has to be cancelled. We'll see.

10. Idontcare

Idontcare Elite Member

Any chance of me convincing you to expand on your thoughts there?

11. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

Just an slightly updated IGP. I assume its an electric respin too.

12. Abwx

Abwx Diamond Member

What is this "slightly" exactly ?....

Frequency .?...number of compute units ?..

13. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

You cant do much since its the same processnode. I assume its just a change in GPU uarch to CGN since they keep talking about the HSA (enhancement) fairy tale. So I wouldnt put hopes up for anything.

#113 ShintaiDK, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  14. Abwx

Abwx Diamond Member

Going from VLIWX to GCN is GPU wise as using another core CPU wise.

It s somewhat a little more than just a slight update.

15. Idontcare

Idontcare Elite Member

Hey, even cedar mill (65nm netburst) made it to market despite the presence of Core 2 Duo. I even bought one for $54 as a throw-away disposable test chip for veryifying my striker mobo (a ridiculously priced $450 nightmare) had the right bios before plugging on the latest QX6700...so hey served a purpose :D

The concerns I have with steamroller's future is that it has reportedly not even taped out yet. That is a big red flag in terms of project management and the prospects of upper management continuing to fund the project through complete. The tapout milestone is only significant because that is the milestone that precedes the first-silicon milestone. Again first silicon is only relevant because that precedes the debug and verification phase...which itself takes about a year to fully hash out if more steppings and respins are necessary (and they almost always are).

Management pulling the plug now on steamroller prior to tapeout would be the right time if they wanted to cut short the losses that they are going to incur if they commit themselves to resourcing another year of steamroller development through the costly verification and debug stage.

16. Idontcare

Idontcare Elite Member

And in a world where low-cost entry level budget discrete gpu cards didn't exist, this would mean something substantial to AMD's bottom line.

Aren't AMD's financials telling enough that bundling bottom-tier graphics capabilities with bottom-tier cpu capabilities just isn't going to cut it? So what if you raise the bottom end when it comes to graphics capabilities?

Intel is proof that if you want to make money selling CPUs then you better darn well focus on improving the CPU, the graphics part of your APU can be second best (or even worse) and the financial ramifications of that to the company are pretty much irrelevant.

17. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

Good luck with that hope :p

Llano to Trinity didnt offer that much. Was it 16% average, even with 33% higher GPU clock? Plus the IGP is also bandwidth starved. And there is no DDR4 with Richland.

GPU progression is very heavily dependent on a shrink or a diesize increase. Looking at Trinity you see the same. Diesizes increases, even tho the CPU is changed to a 2C/4T instead of 4C/4T.

#117 ShintaiDK, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  18. Abwx

Abwx Diamond Member

Rather this is the proof that the the dominant player set the momentum
    even if it s at the expense of the consumer.

Basicaly , whoever had several laptops the last decade knows that
    Intel s HD2000 to 4000 will be obsolete long before Trinity s CPU part will be also obsolete.

Of course this suit Intel since their high volumes lives on fast
    obsolescence of the products they are selling.

They know that their CPU has theoricaly a very long life cycle
    but they know even better that its GPU part wont allow for the whole
    thing to last as long as expected by the gullible consumer that banks
    all in a "fast CPU".

19. Vesku

Vesku Diamond Member

I think the Intel lesson is more about having a commanding position with your vendors.

20. AnandThenMan

AnandThenMan Diamond Member

This.

21. Ajay

Ajay Platinum Member

Good point. That's the way it was with Microsoft (and still is, though Win8 might be changing that for the consumer market).

22. CTho9305

CTho9305 Elite Member

Sorry, not until far enough in the future that nobody is interested any more.

23. os2wiz

os2wiz Junior Member

Absolutely false!AMD has reaffirmed Kaveri release in 2nd half of 2013. I do not know where you trolls get your disinformation from.

24. wlee15

wlee15 Senior member

Source?

25. Olikan

Olikan Golden Member

well, from Llano to trinity, amd just made the IGP even more bandwidth starved...what really bumped the performance was the improvments in bandwidth sharing

from vliw 4 to GCN, the increase will be bigger...
    at the same clocks/shader/bandwidth: http://www.inpai.com.cn/doc/hard/168475_30.htm

add another improvments in IMC, then it is a decent bump
    (but probably will get owned to GT3)