Richard Pryor Quotes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
Originally posted by: OdiN
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
Originally posted by: KLin
Who said anything about the quotes needing to be funny. The OP wanted favorite quotes. Go thread crap elsewhere please :thumbsdown:.

The fact that these are quotes from a comedian would make me think that they're supposed to be funny.

Exactly.

I mean take this for example:

"You can't scare a wino! Wino's ain't scared of nothin' but runnin' out of wine."

....How is that remotely funny???
HAHA, that's funny. :D

It's funny b/c it true (especially have a few winos in my family)

It seems like more of an observation to me than something that's funny. It's about as funny as saying "Hey...look the grass is green!"

i'm not sure you understand how comedy works.

And I'm quite sure you have absolutely no idea.

wow, another superb comeback

What comeback? I don't seem to recall posting one.

Apr 17, 2005
Who said anything about the quotes needing to be funny. The OP wanted favorite quotes. Go thread crap elsewhere please :thumbsdown:.

The fact that these are quotes from a comedian would make me think that they're supposed to be funny.

Exactly.

"You can't scare a wino! Wino's ain't scared of nothin' but runnin' out of wine."

umm...in context...

And I'm supposed to just make it up??

what? no, you're not supposed to get it...now you have two options:

1. go watch/hear some richard pryor and come post here
2. dont go watch/hear some richard pryor and dont come post here

do you understand?

What does watching Pryor have to do with anything?

I simply stated that the quotes posted are not funny at all.

Do you understand or do you need me to connect the dots?

connect the dots please

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

Exactly.

It seems like more of an observation to me than something that's funny. It's about as funny as saying "Hey...look the grass is green!"

Well, I guess you don't like Seinfeld either...

Sienfeld is great.

I didn't say Pryor wasn't. I just said that the quotes posted were not funny.

Apr 17, 2005

Exactly.

Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
404 Funny Not Found

It helps to take your head out of your backside :)

Yeah you should try it sometime.

just terrible...

you have worse comebacks than catholic school nerds.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

Exactly.

Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
404 Funny Not Found

It helps to take your head out of your backside :)

Yeah you should try it sometime.

just terrible...

you have worse comebacks than catholic school nerds.

Uhm. Okay.

I'll let you know when I post some wit-filled jab. I haven't decided to in this thread just for your information.

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com

Exactly.

umm...in context...

No. You either know it or don't. If you don't follow Richard Pryor's work close enough to recognize the reference, that's fine. However, that doesn't mean other people don't know what the poster is referring to.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: MartyMcFly3

Exactly.

umm...in context...

No. You either know it or don't. If you don't follow Richard Pryor's work close enough to recognize the reference, that's fine. However, that doesn't mean other people don't know what the poster is referring to.

That may be true. But that still does not make the quote itself funny.

Apr 17, 2005

Exactly.

umm...in context...

your mother should have swallowed

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

Exactly.

umm...in context...

your mother should have swallowed

Is that supposed to offend me?

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com

Exactly.

umm...in context...

But people who are familiar with it will remember the context and laugh. Like for example most people outside of Illinois could give a rat's ass about the Sox winning the World Series. However since I'm a fan of the Sox, ill always look back and smile whenever someone mentions it. Many non-fans will say "The Sox suck." and ask why people keep thinking about it. It's the same principle. You either care, or you don't. In this case you don't, which is fine, but that doesnt mean you should ruin it for those that do.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
OMFG how the fvck does a Richard Pryor quotes thread turn into a flamefest about comedy? Holy sh1t..

Mods need to come in here, READ THE FVCKING THREAD, and ban each an every person who contributed to the flamefest for a month..

This is so fvcking lame. I'm sick of clicking on a thread and having it be nothing but some flamefest between idiots with no jobs. This isn't P and N.

Richard Pryor was one of the funniest dudes around... and unlike most comedians, he wasn't a crackhead and he attempted to make the most of his life. He's got a lot of good quotes.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: brxndxn
OMFG how the fvck does a Richard Pryor quotes thread turn into a flamefest about comedy? Holy sh1t..

Mods need to come in here, READ THE FVCKING THREAD, and ban each an every person who contributed to the flamefest for a month..

This is so fvcking lame. I'm sick of clicking on a thread and having it be nothing but some flamefest between idiots with no jobs. This isn't P and N.

Richard Pryor was one of the funniest dudes around... and unlike most comedians, he wasn't a crackhead and he attempted to make the most of his life. He's got a lot of good quotes.

:thumbsup:

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

Exactly.

umm...in context...

But people who are familiar with it will remember the context and laugh. Like for example most people outside of Illinois could give a rat's ass about the Sox winning the World Series. However since I'm a fan of the Sox, ill always look back and smile whenever someone mentions it. Many non-fans will say "The Sox suck." and ask why people keep thinking about it. It's the same principle. You either care, or you don't. In this case you don't, which is fine, but that doesnt mean you should ruin it for those that do.

I didn't say I don't care =/

The only thing I did was state that a quote was not funny...I don't know why the inspector had to make a big scene about it =/

Apr 17, 2005
ehh...i was telling odin to buzz off

how was i making a big scene...i told him it was in context...he kept arguing, so i told him to watch pryor or not post...then he started some other BS.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
I guess my point is that even if I had watched all of Pryor's stuff, the quote itself still would not be funny.

It could be funny if used along with a part of a routine, but on it's own is not funny.

Actually the only point you made in this thread is that you can be extremely foolish and boorish. Everybody can thank you for ruining this thread .

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: brxndxn
and unlike most comedians, he wasn't a crackhead

Definitely not true;) Have you seen his semi-autobiographical movie, jo-jo dancer?

Jan 8, 2005
I guess my point is that even if I had watched all of Pryor's stuff, the quote itself still would not be funny.

It could be funny if used along with a part of a routine, but on it's own is not funny.

NO ******, DUMBASS. :thumbsdown: