RG3 - 'is he a brother or a cornball brother, he's not one of us down with the cause'

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
There's a lot of Rift-Raft in Woodbridge. The city is well segregated based on income..so the whole "Hoodbridge" thing comes from that. Some parts look really shitty... but, its a big town..

Anyway, I graduate in December..so that's when I'll be back in VA.

7002833856_8c6d3dfb68_o.jpg

Riff Raff was the man, for those who remember Heathcliff.

Oh, so this December. I thought you were in VA already.

Feb 6, 2007
Also, having an issue with someone marrying outside their race is racism depending on your reasons for having an issue with it.

For example, if you think its wrong because blacks and whites are incompatible for xyz reason, that is racist.

But if your reasoning is because your group feels like you need that person to help rebuild your community, I think that is tribalism as opposed to racism since it has nothing to do with racial supremacy.

and I've said this already.
No, both of those are racist. The first and second examples are identical, the reasoning just changes from "blacks and whites are genetically incompatible" to "blacks and whites are culturally incompatible." That's still racist though. The claim in the second one is that only black people can be a part of that specific community. And, while that is certainly tribalism, it's a tribe based solely on skin color. Why can't RGIII's white girlfriend be a part of that tribe? Because her skin is the wrong color. That's a racist mentality.

I'm not saying that you personally believe that, but you keep arguing that race-based tribalism is not inherently racist, and you're just flat-out wrong on that point. There's no way to say "you don't belong because your skin is the wrong color" without it being racist.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
There's a lot of Rift-Raft in Woodbridge. The city is well segregated based on income..so the whole "Hoodbridge" thing comes from that. Some parts look really shitty... but, its a big town..

I feel like I remember you stating something about the state of Michigan... where do you go to school?

And for what it's worth, I never entirely misinterpreted any of your posts in this thread; I didn't entirely suspect you held all of the opinions that you explained (which I read as explaining the beliefs of other people you have encountered).
What I apparently missed, was the notion that you don't share even a single belief that you described in great detail.

Honestly, it's not entirely terrible if you do in fact hold some tribalism beliefs, honestly I think it's hard for anyone to argue, with the utmost honesty, they hold none whatsoever. Even I do, to a small degree, but it also holds little to no weight in the search for a woman to marry. It's sort of like that initial bias, trying to find the right one, but someone who appears to have all the merits of "the right one" but is lacking, say, blue eyes, it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

I don't want to see blue eyes die out, for I find them ever so breathtaking (I love my blue eyes, but not as much as some of the blue eyes I've seen). And certain facial structures I find more attractive than others, and are more commonly found in some races than others. But alas, I don't put the weight of said bias to the point that I will never look elsewhere. Nor will I consider what other people think of any given situation actually impact who I choose to help provide future offspring. ;)

My biggest bias, one I'm not at all ashamed to admit, is I certainly want someone who is fit, attractive, and healthy. It would be grand if they don't need glasses/contacts, and awesome if they were exceptionally gifted in athletics. Building a better human, one quite fit for the world, is something I personally consider important. Hell, I'd have no shame in a little genetic therapy/choosing of traits "unnaturally", but I don't know if I'd go so far as to completely "design" offspring, choosing every single gene possible.

While it wouldn't cause me to deny someone who is otherwise a perfect match for me, I would most certainly prefer, above all else, that she isn't even a carrier of the "color blind" mutation. Which is to say, I'd like to hear that no one in her family has ever been reported to be color deficient in the past, oh, four or five generations?

I was guaranteed to have it because my mom has the mutation activated (she is color deficient, which is rare for women). My sister is guaranteed to be a carrier. We'll know in a few years if my nephew has it, I hope not. I'd like to reduce the chance of my offspring having it. It's bad enough that any daughters I have are guaranteed to be carriers. And worse yet, instead of diminishing the chances, that daughter being a carrier can still produce a colorblind son.
I'd DEFINITELY sign up to have gene therapy done on myself, and on offspring, to rid my own future bloodline of that mutation, if I can't do anything else. Life can be ugly, but the world is beautiful. And I'm missing out on some crucial visual data that could make it that much more beautiful. :(

Aren't segues fun? :)

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I feel like I remember you stating something about the state of Michigan... where do you go to school?

MSU

And for what it's worth, I never entirely misinterpreted any of your posts in this thread; I didn't entirely suspect you held all of the opinions that you explained (which I read as explaining the beliefs of other people you have encountered).
What I apparently missed, was the notion that you don't share even a single belief that you described in great detail.

Oh, thanks :D .

Next time I won't bother sharing any opinions on anything that has something to do with race, because I have to wade through a river of shit to get someone to understand what I was trying to say rather than them just pulling the race card and calling me racist.

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
MSU
Next time I won't bother sharing any opinions on anything that has something to do with race, because I have to wade through a river of shit to get someone to understand what I was trying to say rather than them just pulling the race card and calling me racist.

Welcome to ATOT.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Welcome to ATOT.

Truth.

Wait... welcome to Earth. :p

Seriously, as soon as the discussion turns to the topic of race, it doesn't matter what is being said, how it is being said, and to who it is being said (well, a little bit for the latter)... it WILL be misinterpreted, and one may be assaulted with words, fists, knives, firearms, bottles, chairs, tables, or any object within reach. Typically "words" is the most common weapon of choice, but race is probably the most touchy subject that can be discussed. Thus, it's why race and religion, but especially race, tend not to be topics "for polite company."

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com

Manassas/Woodbridge is the toilet of Northern VA. I just started a job in Bristow and the people are just twice as fucking stupid as the people at my last place. It's just so fucking strange. o_O

It's like you are required to be a former gangbanger, prostitute turning her /his life around, recovering alcoholic, have 4 illigitimate children all with different baby's mommas or fresh out of jail to live in Prince William county. :D .... honestly, I'm only half-joking. lol. o_O

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Manassas/Woodbridge is the toilet of Northern VA. I just started a job in Bristow and the people are just twice as fucking stupid as the people at my last place. It's just so fucking strange. o_O

It's like you are required to be a former gangbanger, prostitute turning her /his life around, recovering alcoholic, have 4 illigitimate children all with different baby's mommas or fresh out of jail to live in Prince William county. :D .... honestly, I'm only half-joking. lol. o_O

That is half true :)

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
He's saying that his people spent years and years of fighting to be equal and considered as equals by others and so when a few of them manage to be considered equals to others and cease to consider themselves as lesser, then they have abandoned the people that want to be equals and that is bad.

Best post in this thread! :D