Revisiting games you've already played that WOW you all over again..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I know it'll sound cliché but good ol' Duke Nukem 3D is satisfying to this day. It's not "WOW"'ing me again today but I enjoy it about as much as I did all those years ago when I first saw it at my local gaming store. I also agree on both Freespace 2 and Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, still superb games nowadays (although I first played Soul Reaver on the PlayStation). Also, one of my favorites, namely Beyond Good & Evil, is still very fun. And more recently the HD update for MDK2, an amazing game, and I forgot how challenging it could be sometimes, ouch! But in a good way, they're fun challenges.

For consoles I'd have many (way too many) to mention, but one of them always comes back to mind in similar threads and it has to be Turok 2: Seeds of Evil. A game which was ahead of its time and, in my opinion, aged very well (I know many would disagree). Well of course there's so much fog, but for obvious reasons. The game pushed the N64's limits at the time and it was their only way to compensate. The PC version is a direct port so we have to deal with that on the PC too. To this day I am still amazed at how good the animations, textures (for the N64) game-play (pure fun) and music meshed so well together (the music was CD quality, it was amazing, its OST sounds great and catchy today). To be honest T2:SoE still does "wow" me today, as I play it (rarely though, but still happens) I often surprise myself in just staring at a charging Raptor and thinking "and they did THAT on the N64 on a 12MB cartridge?!". It was released back in 1998 but I'd swear if I didn't know that it would have been released years later instead.

Last edited:

Demoralized

Jul 20, 2013
This is what kills me, Dead Space had a killer atmosphere. Then I go and replay Dead Space 2, and while a bit more run and gun, still a very good successor to the first.

Fucking Dead Space 3 has zero horror elements. They even got rid of the baby necromorphs and replaced them with dogs.

That's why I couldn't finish 3, totally lost what made the first 2 great.