Revisiting games you've already played that WOW you all over again..

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Man, I reinstalled Mafia 2 with this highly recommended texture mod a few days ago and I'm having so much fun replaying it all over again. Enough time has passed that I don't remember every detail in the storyline, and playing it on a significantly more powerful rig compared to what I played it on originally makes the experience so much better as it's now glassy smooth. Plus the texture mod makes the game look much cleaner and sharper than the original..

The first time I played Mafia 2 I had GTX 480 SLI, the most powerful GPUs at the time, and a GTS 250 dedicated PhysX card; but even with those the game still could chug and lag a bit at 1600p.

Mafia 2 was the first PhysX game to use NVidia's Apex clothing module, and the first game to really push the amount of particle effects on screen at the same time; up to 10,000 if I recall. After replaying it again, I must say that the PhysX effects in this game definitely rank right up there in the top three as far as quality and immersion. The gun battles are awesome with the amount of particle effects, and the way bodies and the environment react to explosions and bullet impacts is also really cool.

Mafia 2 PhysX trailer

NVidia Mafia 2 PhysX trailer

Extremetech Mafia 2 PhysX article

It's sad that the game didn't get the critical acclaim that it deserved, mostly because so many idiot reviewers thought the game was supposed to be "open world" when that was never the intent of the developers. D:

The game was designed to be a story driven, cinematic masterpiece depicting the life of aspiring mobster Vito Scaletta in a reimagined 1940s to 1950s America, and as such, it does an outstanding job imo.

Anyway, what games have you recently "replayed" that makes you go WOW all over again? :biggrin:

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Oh Man, I am playing that currently as well :) There is another one, BG2.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Hard Reset,this game has that unreal engine look to it and its hell of fun while being pretty well optimized.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I replayed Doom 3 around this time last year. I was amazed how well they really did on the graphics for that game, and all around kept me interested. It did get a bit long in the tooth near the end (same old guys jumping out, scare tactics, etc), but overall an excellent game. The shift into getting into hell was amazing.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Planescape: Torment. Even though I've played it multiple times, the story still draws me in.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
The original Company of Heroes with the Blitzkrieg mod. Especially on the LAN against friends.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
System Shock 2 with the texture mod. Man, what an amazingly well done game!

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I replayed Doom 3 around this time last year. I was amazed how well they really did on the graphics for that game, and all around kept me interested. It did get a bit long in the tooth near the end (same old guys jumping out, scare tactics, etc), but overall an excellent game. The shift into getting into hell was amazing.

Oh yeah the hell levels were fantastic!

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
every few years or so i replay through Star Ocean 2 - my favorite RPG ever. planning another play through during my time off this december (before the steam sale and losing all my moneys :p). just a brilliant game that i get completely immersed in every time i replay it.

i also just love playing through Mass Effect (1 or 2) for ol' times sake. i'd say i usually make different decisions but i always let
kaiden die. fuck him lol

edit: on another note, something i'm super excited about. my friends and i have been talking about doing this for some time now, and we're finally doing it next friday. race through the starcraft 1/broodwar campaign. i've really wanted to play through the campaigns again, so i'm hoping it'll be fun to do so. hopefully i can channel some of my old skills i had back when i was younger playing on ICcup :p

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
PlaneScape Torment is a classic. Pretty much the pinnacle of Infinity Engine games.

System Shock 2, horror/thriller games need good sound and SS2 delivers in spades. Its also creepy as fuck and the tension only gets... more tense as you get closer and closer to your objective. A work of art.

Homeworld. Nothing like it before or since.

Freespace 2. IMO about as good as space shooters get. Thanks to FSO the game looks like its only a couple of years old rather than 15 years old.

Renob

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Far Cry for me played it again like 3 years after it came out and loved it.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Oh Man, I am playing that currently as well :) There is another one, BG2.

If you're playing Mafia 2, I highly recommend using that texture mod I linked to in my OP.

Planescape: Torment. Even though I've played it multiple times, the story still draws me in.

Planescape Torment is a fantastic game. And I still have the original CD copy with the case and everything :thumbsup:

I installed it once, but the low resolution combined with grainy textures made my eyes bleed. :hmm:

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
If you're playing Mafia 2, I highly recommend using that texture mod I linked to in my OP.

Planescape Torment is a fantastic game. And I still have the original CD copy with the case and everything :thumbsup:

I installed it once, but the low resolution combined with grainy textures made my eyes bleed. :hmm:

Thanks for the tip man :thumbsup:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I have a hard time replaying a game unless it was spectacular, and even then, i find it hard. Especially if there isn't something to make it majorly different the next time around.

Even in MMOs I find it hard to level an alt after I've got 1 character up to a high or max level.

I;m like this with movies too. I rarely re-watch a movie unless I really liked it.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
I have a hard time replaying a game unless it was spectacular, and even then, i find it hard. Especially if there isn't something to make it majorly different the next time around.

Even in MMOs I find it hard to level an alt after I've got 1 character up to a high or max level.

I;m like this with movies too. I rarely re-watch a movie unless I really liked it.

What about the games where there is more than one outcome? for e.g. Witcher 2.

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. It's a little hard to grasp the entire span of the story with just that one game, but within itself it's really good. The motivation for revenge, the voice acting, I love it!

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I would have to say the games that IMO have the most replayability are open world RPG's, which I admit I only started playing two years ago! As of right now, I have spent one year playing Oblivian. The replay value seems to be endless, what with new games to be started with new characters and classes.Also have Morrowind and Skyrim...haven't started yet..Games that have different outcomes depending on the players' in game choices, as the Witcher series, are also highly replayable.

However, that being said, I will admit the two games I have revisited over the years are Painkiller and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I have no idea why...I don't get bored, like the changes in levels...just the opposite of sandbox RPG's.

The Wife

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
What about the games where there is more than one outcome? for e.g. Witcher 2.

I plan on playing it again to try the different outcome but usually don't, unless there is a save point near the end so that I can quickly go back and try the different path.

fixbsod

Jan 25, 2012
I typically give Bioshock 1 a go every 1-2 years, tho much of that has to do with improved hw -- console to computer to bigger monitor, etc.

Mass Effect 1 so far never seems to get old.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
I tried to get in to planescape torment when it was released and then again a few years later and doubt I made it more than an hour or 2 in...think that'll be the next game I give one last shot...it's avail on gog now I think?

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Funny you bring up Mafia II, my first thought is the original Mafia, I still believe it is the most beautiful bitmap-era game before specular lighting and bumpmapping (Doom 3) came on the scene. Sound and music in 5.1 so well done, it's just one of my favorite games of all time.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
Dead Space. So much fun, creepy factor, the feeling of panic.

This is what kills me, Dead Space had a killer atmosphere. Then I go and replay Dead Space 2, and while a bit more run and gun, still a very good successor to the first.

Fucking Dead Space 3 has zero horror elements. They even got rid of the baby necromorphs and replaced them with dogs.