Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
A former coworker screwed up a download and left me with a directory full of files with useless extensions. I opened a command shell and renamed everything using the ren command, proper syntax the first time.

1675185909593.png

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Found a cool little program that let's me switch my sound device on Windows really easily, with a double click on the system tray icon or via a hotkey setup. Since I switch from headphones to speakers a lot, this is lovely.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

I setup most of my IT clients with a combination of a headset (speakers & mic), webcam (mic), desktop speakerphone (speakers & mic), and 2.0 or 2.1 speakers (speakers) for telecommunications purposes for things like Zoom, Meet, Teams, etc. My procedure is:

1. Get everything plugged in & tested (app permissions, hardware installation, etc.)

2. In the Sound icon in Control Panel, (1) I rename the speakers & mics (ex. Headset, Speakerbox, etc.) and (2) hide anything unused or disabled (ex. digital audio output, options we don't want like the crappy webcam mic or built-in monitor speakers, etc.)

3. Install & configure SoundSwitch. For my more advanced customers, I use MMO mice with macro software (ex. this one & Macro Express Pro if they want more advanced, per-app macros), so they can just tap a button to mute/unmute, swap inputs & outputs, etc. That way, everything is just a muscle-memory tap away! Using cascading macros (ex. the cheapo MMO wireless mouse only does universal macros with the stock software, so I use Macro Express Pro to do per-app ones), I can tie SoundSwitch (hotkeys for input & output swap, plus mute/unmute), but then have it do app-specific default shortcuts too (ex. ALT + A to Mute in Zoom). I have some customers who are literally in online meetings all day, so creating a path to enable automaticity through convenience is A+!

4. Do test-runs on all of the meeting apps (admin permissions to run the first time, audio & video defaults, etc.).

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Found my unit (kWh) gas price finally went down!

By 1/100 of a penny.

Works out that will save me one-and-a-half pence a month, or 18p a year. I shall spend it on treats for myself.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Ajay and Kaido

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
We entered an educational exhibit in the Tucson mineral show this year. The only place on the entry form for educational exhibits was in the case competition so we entered that. We won first place! Okay, so we're pretty sure we were the only entry in the category, but a win's a win. :p

1676297635721.png

1676297533700.png

1676297323101.png

1676297400089.png

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The saga of our office move continues. So the jist of it is that we've been working 100% from home since before Christmas because there was some corporate politic BS about activating our phone jacks at the new office (all our desks and stuff is moved now). Supposedly that required a separate request from my manager so that took a while.

So the latest news on that is the phone jacks are up, BUT the IT security guy refuses to enable our network jacks for our network connection because of more politics, I think my manager has to fill a request for that too. But the good news is, this just means we continue to get to work from home while all this silliness is sorted out, so I'm not complaining!

What's also fun is that he needs access to a certain room in order to give us access (probably patching to the switches), but his access to that room no longer works for some reason and we're responsible for door fob access. In theory we could drag this out lol. I THINK the request is approved now, but his lack of access to that room is dragging this out more.

I think it will be sorted out soon though, I will find out more next time I'm on day shift. All the info I have is from snooping on day shift Slack.

I have a feeling the whole WFH thing is going to soon come to an end permanently though as I keep seeing hints from corporate about it. So I'm enjoying this while I can.

Reactions: highland145

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
We entered an educational exhibit in the Tucson mineral show this year. The only place on the entry form for educational exhibits was in the case competition so we entered that. We won first place! Okay, so we're pretty sure we were the only entry in the category, but a win's a win.

View attachment 76387

View attachment 76386

View attachment 76383

View attachment 76385
Have you been to the mineral and gemstone section of the museum of natural history in NYC?

It's pretty ridiculously amazing

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Finished assembling my new gaming PC yesterday, set up my new monitor last night, turned it on... and it worked! The first game I played was Doom, which is pretty freaking awesome on an ultrawide...

(Yes, I know I need a new desk. I'm in the process of making one.)

unnamed2.jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed3.jpg

unnamed4.jpg

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Finished assembling my new gaming PC yesterday, set up my new monitor last night, turned it on... and it worked! The first game I played was Doom, which is pretty freaking awesome on an ultrawide...

(Yes, I know I need a new desk. I'm in the process of making one.)

View attachment 76970

View attachment 76971

View attachment 76972

View attachment 76973
Very clean build, nice and compact. A bit boring (which isn't a knock, I tend to prefer black-out builds).

thumbs-up_1f44d.png

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Very clean build, nice and compact. A bit boring (which isn't a knock, I tend to prefer black-out builds).

View attachment 76974

Thanks! I'm not a big fan of all the RGB they're doing these days, but I agree the build does look boring and could probably use something to liven it up. It sits under a desk, so eh.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I like it. Super clean and just mostly different shades of Gray's and blacks are nice.

It's not sitting on your desk so who cares.

If it was, you could put like one simple blue led in there to just give it a nice glow through a side window and that would be all you need.

Simple can be better

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I like it. Super clean and just mostly different shades of Gray's and blacks are nice.

It's not sitting on your desk so who cares.

If it was, you could put like one simple blue led in there to just give it a nice glow through a side window and that would be all you need.

Simple can be better

Thanks. The motherboard has integrated RGB under the southbridge heatsink which gives a pretty nice ambient effect, but I turned it off.

BTW, if anyone is dealing with GPU sag, here's an excellent tip that works incredibly well. Basically, you cut the tabs off the two back-panel brackets you removed when installing the GPU (assuming you have a 3-slot one), and use them to increase the thickness of the third-slot bracket.

• Love
Reactions: igor_kavinski

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Had a first date planned for Sat on the West Side. But things accelerated quickly via chat and the phone, this woman equals sexual tension. Girl wants to see me tonight, and it's basically at the point that if there is good chemistry at drinks and bites, she will come over my place after and sleep over (because I have a dog and it's logistically harder to sleep at her place). Will be my first Mormon sexual partner in my entire life. This is a good first world event. She is going to be really good in bed I can tell already.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski