Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I do find it odd that our eyes degrade so much. Wonder if that was an issue in earlier humans. That and teeth, why are our teeth so fragile? Don't brush and floss regularly? Your teeth rot and fall out. Animals in the wild don't have that problem.

Maybe there will eventually be an update to fix all of this.

I got LASIK so I'm glad I don't need glasses anymore, but was told once I hit 40 I'll need some for up close. I guess the LASIK was worth it either way though so it basically bought me 10 years of no glasses and even when I do hit 40 I'll only need them for close and not necessarily have to put them on all the time.

The part I hated about glasses is that the lenses are coming smaller and smaller. It's one of the things that drove me to get LASIK I was tired of always having tunnel vision. I hate that fashion takes precedence over functionality.
I agree about the eyes and teeth "degrading." Frickin B.S.

I don't mind my glasses, though. I used to wear contacts (started at like 19-20 I think) then went for several years without and then got glasses cause I was sick of screwing with contacts. Mine are for distance vision (I'm nearsighted). Plus the glasses help in offsetting my balding head. I'd consider LASIK if it was guaranteed to work and didn't cost a fortune.

But I'm pretty satisfied with my glasses; they don't bother me when I'm wearing them and I just take them off when I get home (they're mainly for driving). Not sure if my prescription wlll change next time I go in for check-up but I don't think it did last time.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Charge off from 2012 wants to do something with her land. The land that I have a lien on. :D Too long of a story to get into but I'm getting a check for $325 to walk a lien release over to the court house, ~75 yards away.
Collected.....and, woot, $607.11 from a 2014 charge off coming my way. Small potatoes but they're my potatoes.:D

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
My new saw came in! I didn't have a banana for scale, so I used an apple :^P

View attachment 2684

Can't wait to get some time with it, but work got busy. Maybe this weekend....
Got another new saw! Can't wait to try it out! Here it is with an echo 2511t and an apple for scale...

IMG-20190625-165948.jpg

Reactions: highland145

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
36". I got that to maximize the mill I got. It's specified by Stihl, but I think a 32" is a better fit. 36" in the mill gives you a ~32" effective cut, so it should work ok. If I end up taking a lot of big trees, I may end up getting a 32" light bar. I also have a 25" that used to be on my 362. That was a little big for that saw, and I picked up a 20" light bar for it last week.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Congrats!

Still about 82k left on my house, paid 165k. Getting there. I upped my payment by $50 biweekly a while back. Have a few major projects I want to do, once those are done, I might up it again.

I really want to find some bush/lake property in an unorganized township and start building a camp, which would eventually turn into a place to live so sooner I pay off the house sooner I can have the money to do that. Found 26 acres with lot of lake frontage for 50k, and highway access. It's a bit further south then I'd like (about 2 hours from here) and a bit more money than I'd like, but this is probably the first property I find that ticks all the boxes I want. Definitely going to go for a drive and check it out with my drone when I'm not sick.

I kinda want to live off grid, while not being completely isolated, that's pretty much my next major life milestone I'm aiming for. Too much taxes and bills living in the city.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Congrats!

Still about 82k left on my house, paid 165k. Getting there. I upped my payment by $50 biweekly a while back. Have a few major projects I want to do, once those are done, I might up it again.

I really want to find some bush/lake property in an unorganized township and start building a camp, which would eventually turn into a place to live so sooner I pay off the house sooner I can have the money to do that. Found 26 acres with lot of lake frontage for 50k, and highway access. It's a bit further south then I'd like (about 2 hours from here) and a bit more money than I'd like, but this is probably the first property I find that ticks all the boxes I want. Definitely going to go for a drive and check it out with my drone when I'm not sick.

I kinda want to live off grid, while not being completely isolated, that's pretty much my next major life milestone I'm aiming for. Too much taxes and bills living in the city.

No more internet for you!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
No more internet for you!

Telesat, or Starlink. :p I would lose the luxery of my fast fibre speed though, but it's a trade off.

By off grid I mostly mean energy wise, as I would still be semi relying on going in to town for groceries and stuff. Though I would probably grow lot of my own stuff too and try to be at least somewhat self sufficient. The tricky part is the fact that the days are very short most of the year, so not sure if I can rely 100% on solar for everything. Could probably have a wind turbine too though. Maybe even a wood fired steam turbine that would be an interesting project. old school!

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
I looked at many places to move to. Internet availability and speed trumped almost every consideration.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Finally bought some new furniture, well sort of - been using the same couch and loveseat for 11 years from Bob's Furniture. I'm keeping both for now as they're still in great shape, but I bought a Stressless Mayfair recliner. Figured I might as well go all-out and get something that'll probably last my whole life.

I ordered the Paloma leather in Rock with a walnut base, but I've been having doubts and I'm going to call today to change it to Oxford Blue with the teak base.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Finally bought some new furniture, well sort of - been using the same couch and loveseat for 11 years from Bob's Furniture. I'm keeping both for now as they're still in great shape, but I bought a Stressless Mayfair recliner. Figured I might as well go all-out and get something that'll probably last my whole life.

I ordered the Paloma leather in Rock with a walnut base, but I've been having doubts and I'm going to call today to change it to Oxford Blue with the teak base.
You should get dark olive with teak.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My cat spent a good 5+ minutes licking my arm. It's like getting thousands of micro massages throughout my arm, feels so bliss! I wonder if they have spas where a bunch of cats just lick you, I would go to one. It's a super therapeutic feeling. :p

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Alarm company calls at 1AM....glass break and motion sensors. Thankfully I'm only 5 min away. No broken glass or break in. There was a check that had been put through the slot. Very common and has never triggered the motion before. Maybe the customer slammed the slot, triggering the glass break. I'll check the video in a while. +1 for not having to cut and put up plywood.

edit: effing bug. I can see it on the recording. I "guess" the siren triggered the glass break since they're side by side.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
My cat spent a good 5+ minutes licking my arm. It's like getting thousands of micro massages throughout my arm, feels so bliss! I wonder if they have spas where a bunch of cats just lick you, I would go to one. It's a super therapeutic feeling. :p

Cat's just tasting you...getting ready.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Wifey texted me at 11am to let let me know my daughter had called. Someone had stolen her backpack at work with her coach wallet and all of her money from the break room at her job.She was all freaked out. I met my wife at 11:30 and she said she had just talked to my daughter and the police were at her work. Apparently there were cameras and a supervisor recognized the man. He had stopped by to check on a job application he had submitted.

4 years ago we found out we had a grandson we had never met. When we talked to the mother we asked if we could help out and asked what we could get the boy for Christmas. The cow said the boy needed and xbox one or some shit. We told her no. We were thinking clothes, stroller , high chair and such. The cow told us to fuck off we would never see him. Cps contacted my son 2 months ago. The boy had been found but since they had never met they would not just give the boy to him. Cps contacted us and the worker detailed horrible conditions and abuse. We started taking appropriate measures to get the boy.

Last month a work friend told me had a hat for me. I told him I didn't want any old ass used hat. He said he got it 25 years ago before he moved to Seattle and it got put in a closet when he moved here. It was brand new. He was evasive when I asked him what it was. Every few days he would say " Oh shit, I forgot the hat" I really never expected the mystery hat to show up.

At 2:30 I got a text from my wife. The police had recovered all of my daughters stuff and arrested the thief. My son was being granted full custody of my grandson. I guess there are a few hoops my boy has to jump through but I should get to meet him in the next few weeks.

I have several work areas and today I worked outside most of the day. At 3 pm I started cleaning up and taking my tools inside. I looked over and there was this huge plastic bag on my desk. The guy had finally brought the hat. It was a brand new, never worn walt3 49ers cap with the flames. The crown is perfect.

What a fucking day.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Two days ago I woke up, and had a message on my phone I use for internet that I used up 85% of my 3gb allotment of highspeed data. Figured it would be a good time to upgrade to debian buster, and assumed it would creep along while I was at work. I downloaded the ~1.3gb at fullspeed, and it was mostly finished installing before I left for work. Got home to shiny new debian system, and my speed's *still* fast. That's happened before, but usually throttles eventually. Wish I knew exactly why it happens. I could maybe prevent them from throttling me when I run out of data.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Scored eight 6packs of aldi organic uncured hotdogs for $2/each. Half off the already cheap price. I think Wegmans sells the same things for $6/6pack. They "expired" today, but I store them in the freezer anyway. I'll be set for a long time :^)

Reactions: highland145

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Won't happen until 2020 but was told today. If college freshmen take 14hrs of math/science and stay in a stem major, +$2500/yr enhancement for the next 3 years. The hours include dual enrollment, too. The kid should have 17 hrs in December. woot.

Last edited:
Reactions: lxskllr
Feb 25, 2011
Housemate got me a new kitchen knife for my birthday, replaces the $8 TJ Maxx special that I've been using for years.

Downside is that I never realized how sloppy my knife technique was until I had a knife that would draw blood if I so much as looked at it funny. Sure, my radishes are sliced paper-thin, but there's altogether too much iron in the salad.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Downside is that I never realized how sloppy my knife technique was until I had a knife that would draw blood if I so much as looked at it funny. Sure, my radishes are sliced paper-thin, but there's altogether too much iron in the salad.
Could be something else.