Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 41 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I forgot work was tonight and nobody cared or even missed me.
I dont even have to deduct any time from my paycheck.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
One of the local "shack" food stands has had an old anchor just dumped in the lot next to them...we tried to buy it a couple of times for our yard...previous owner wouldn't sell.
They went out of business...today, the new owner was there working on the building and cleaning the lot...we stopped and asked about the anchor. "If you want it, haul it away. No charge. i just want it gone."
Fucking thing weighs somewhere around 400-500 lbs...so, I couldn't just toss it in the back of my truck. Went to the local lumber yard, their yard boss brought a truck and forklift and loaded it on his truck, delivered it to our house...only wanted $20...so I gave him $30.

One of our neighbors who has lived here for decades came over, looked it over and opined that it's from one of the many local shipwrecks. Could be...it's definitely not from Joe's little runabout...

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
No I just showed up and nobody noticed.

This is a good thing by the way. It means I'm not needed and its OK to come in late. Every other job before this was too high pressure I was made to feel like an ass if I came in two minutes late or couldnt do everything perfectly.
The pressure was terrible and I'm sure it took years off my life and led to health issues.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

This is a good thing by the way. It means I'm not needed and its OK to come in late. Every other job before this was too high pressure I was made to feel like an ass if I came in two minutes late or couldnt do everything perfectly.
The pressure was terrible and I'm sure it took years off my life and led to health issues.

It all makes sense now! :p

Started a new job myself a few months ago stress-levels went up and I sorta regret it.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

It's never good when no one notices your absence...that's a sure sign they don't really need you.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Apparently,
I accidentally logged my time incorrectly. According to my supervisor I worked 12 hours today.
He knows that because he personally saw me come in on time and start work immediately.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
twitter.com
The issue with most hair loss treatments is you need to keep taking them for life. Out of curiosity I looked into what the different options are if ever I start to lose my hair and I'm thinking if I did start to lose hair and wanted to do something I'd just save up for hair transplant, at least it's permanent. Well permanent in the sense that the hairs don't need any special treatment to keep growing, you can still keep losing hair in that area so might need multiple treatments over time. Thankfully I'm not at that stage yet, I might have a bit of receding in the front but that's about it. I like to just call it a mature hair line. :p

Been growing out my hair, figure I may as well enjoy it while it lasts, I'm getting old. My dad started losing his at 39. Heck even if I start to bald I might just rock a skullet and keep growing it anyway. :p

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
I'm so happy they removed the dark theme here. I hate my retinas, and now I can torment them without having the temptation of a dark theme.

:blinks:
They just moved it around like 3 times in 2 days. it's now under profile settings. It burned my retina's so bad, I got 3d vision of the site and saw it lurking away in hiding!

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Just finished the magic jug of milk. It had a sell by of Aug20, but it was still fine today when I finished it. Usually I can count on it getting sour within a couple days after the sell by, and sometimes before.
Magic, I guess. Jesus the milk I buy is always bad around the date on the jug. I've had a couple that smelled like horrid feces even before!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Magic, I guess. Jesus the milk I buy is always bad around the date on the jug. I've had a couple that smelled like horrid feces even before!
Bagged milk...that's funny.

Most milk in 5he grocery stores here expires in 2-3 weeks. Darigold almost always has 2 months before the "best by" date...and it's usually good for another week or so past that.

As for "good things today," it rained this morning...so I got out of working outside. :woot:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
it's usually good for another week or so past that

I only buy cows milk to put a splash in coffee these days so a quart lasts at least a couple weeks. Usually I buy the cheapest store brand I can find and I've very seldom had an issue.

Keep in mind that how long milk will keep is directly related to storage temp's ... the colder it stays the longer it lasts. Also skim milk lasts slightly longer then higher fat types and ultra-processed even a bit more.

Oh and slept like 16 straight hours feel fully rested for the first time in a few weeks.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I've lost 10# since I got sick this summer. That kind of reset my appetite, and I haven't been eating as much. Either that, or I have cancer :^P The bmi calculator says I'm just a hair into the overweight category now. Winter will be interesting. I'll be getting more exercise, but that's drinking season. Wonder how that'll shake out?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
My 7 y.o. Husy weed eater wouldn't start. The bulb would purge but not pull in gas. Google/Youtube are my friends. Fine film on the mesh screen. A little carb cleaner and cranked 1st pull.

Reactions: lxskllr

ASK THE COMMUNITY