Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I got a $2,000 bonus today. Of course it started out as a $5,300 bonus but after 401K and taxes that took it down to 2K.

Reactions: Sonikku

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Today the most wonderful FedEx dude delvers the final components to my door needed for my computer build.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
lxRYwC7.jpg

Ooh, EDC time?

0f6425849caa0c8ee3ce0014cbffb916.jpg

5725d86ac46188bd038b45a1.jpg

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Today's reverse #fwp: Fixed a friend's computer. His wife baked me cookies.

I ate them for breakfast, but I am okay with that.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Today's reverse #fwp: Fixed a friend's computer. His wife baked me cookies.

I ate them for breakfast, but I am okay with that.

She baked them feeling contented knowing there's a simp somewhere waiting for that high milage pvssy :cool:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My transistors finally came in and I repaired my nephew's hoverboard, and the repair actually worked!

Don't know how long though... it's a known issue, which is the only reason I knew how to fix it since I found info on google. Seems to me if these blow all the time it's a design flaw. I got extras... If they blow again I'll just parallel two together. Maybe they're being overloaded with spikes.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm not as sore today from cutting wood as I was Monday. I wouldn't mind doing it a couple days per week. I could use the workout, but despise pointless work. Cutting wood or moving rocks would be ideal.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
My transistors finally came in and I repaired my nephew's hoverboard, and the repair actually worked!

Don't know how long though... it's a known issue, which is the only reason I knew how to fix it since I found info on google. Seems to me if these blow all the time it's a design flaw. I got extras... If they blow again I'll just parallel two together. Maybe they're being overloaded with spikes.

On a tangent, they have the new heavy-duty off-road hoverboard out from Swagtron for $450:

https://www.amazon.com/SWAGTRON-T6-Off-Road-Hoverboard-Certified/dp/B01NH2WD3Z/

Handles up to 420 pounds (bruh). 12-mile range @ 12 MPH with 10" tires. Oh, and Bluetooth speakers. Has iOS & Android apps, plus extensive battery protection.

In other news, they are also coming out with a full-sized electric bike (the SwagCycle, up to 40 MPH & 55-mile range...they have a compact model available already), an electric unicycle (the SwagRoller, up to 10 MPH with a Bluetooth speaker), and an electric surfboard (8' long, up to 15 MPH with a 44-minute swappable battery). I saw a really awesome demo of an electric surfboard last year that went really fast (not a Swagtron), but it cost an insane $20k, so for $2,400 or so, that's a much better bargain. You know. If you want to drop almost three g's on an electric surfboard. Also, I was googling around for pictures of everything, and apparently Walmart is selling the SwagRoller for $400 already:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SWAGTRON...ctable-Handle-App-Bluetooth-Speaker/207465921

Although...it has 2 wheels...oddly enough. So I guess the "uni" part only applies to the fact that there's no second tire in-line, like a bicycle has. Crazy stuff...looks like it's from the future!

Feb 25, 2011
I'm RDP'd into a VM at home that I have set up to VPN into work so I can RDP into my system at work so I can open vCenter and console into the server that I need to do off-hours maintenance on.

RDPception.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm RDP'd into a VM at home that I have set up to VPN into work so I can RDP into my system at work so I can open vCenter and console into the server that I need to do off-hours maintenance on.

RDPception.

Lol I've done stuff like that. Gets a little silly at times haha.

I do it all the time with SSH without realizing. I'll SSH into one server, then later on reuse that session and SSH into another server. I tend to just open a new tab though, most of my SSH is on my right screen, I just keep it open full screen and can tab between all my servers.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I got to fuck around with a killdeer chick today. It couldn't fly yet, so it just tried to run away from me. Mom put on a fantastic show. I got the floundering display, the broken wing routine, and lots of chattering. I love those things. They're lots of fun to watch.

Reactions: KMFJD

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Made a pretty damn good landing in the sim into Oslo with a manual ILS approach with 2 mile visibility and rain.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I got to fuck around with a killdeer chick today. It couldn't fly yet, so it just tried to run away from me. Mom put on a fantastic show. I got the floundering display, the broken wing routine, and lots of chattering. I love those things. They're lots of fun to watch.
I've developed my own taxonomy for animals. The first division is longitudinal vs transverse. Killdeer are the ultimate longitudinal birds as they always run directly away from you, in the direction you are travelling and, therefore have to run away again and again.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I've developed my own taxonomy for animals. The first division is longitudinal vs transverse. Killdeer are the ultimate longitudinal birds as they always run directly away from you, in the direction you are travelling and, therefore have to run away again and again.
Blue herons are good for that. I used to "chase" them down the creek in my canoe. It's like "Dude... I'm really not that interested in you. Just chill the fuck out, and I'll be gone in a couple minutes" :^D

It makes me laugh when animals incongruously run directly in front me. I followed a squirrel a couple hundred feet once in my truck cause it wouldn't go left or right. Just cruising down the road at ~10mph following my squirrel :^D

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Using my prepaid phone as a net connection, and ran my debian updates. I used up all my high speed data last week, but I was getting ~600kbs on my updates. Not sure what's going on with that, but I'll take it. Down side is holy shit my hd is slow. It never bothered me before, but all my other machines have ssds, and the slowness is dramatic going back to a spinner. I need to build a new box. This one is slowly failing, and doesn't have too much longer I don't think. 11 years is a pretty good run though. Can't hardly complain.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
No hassles at the airport, no problems with bags, car rental a breeze! In reverse order the trip was perfect.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
After spending a day hunting the web for windows drivers for a new laptop, it started to run very unstable and constantly BSODs, explorer crashes etc and updates keep failing (was trying to update in hopes those issues go away but it would not even update). Decided to just say F it and put Linux Mint on it. For what the user is going to use it for I think it will be fine. Hopefully. Will be my first time deploying Linux to an end user.

So that said, the win is that the live CD detected all the hardware including both the wireless and wired network card out of the box (had a hard time in Windows with those ones). I'm installing it now and once I put Libre office, and maybe a few other standard things like Gimp, it will be all set. This is going to take like less than half an hour by the look of things lol. I want my day of struggling with Windows back.

I just hope the client will be ok with this.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You might want to look at a different gfx program. Gimp is great, but it's like sitting in a jet cockpit, and trying to figure out how to start the engine; so you can go to the grocery store :^D Pinta might be a better choice, or even libreoffice draw.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I am thankful for electricity everyday mfin' day. I get up, make coffee, browse AT, check the work situation on the lappy,

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Using my prepaid phone as a net connection, and ran my debian updates. I used up all my high speed data last week, but I was getting ~600kbs on my updates. Not sure what's going on with that, but I'll take it. Down side is holy shit my hd is slow. It never bothered me before, but all my other machines have ssds, and the slowness is dramatic going back to a spinner. I need to build a new box. This one is slowly failing, and doesn't have too much longer I don't think. 11 years is a pretty good run though. Can't hardly complain.

99% of what I do is online these days, so I primarily just use a Chromebook. It's awful going back to a regular computer, especially one with a mechanical hard drive. A lot of the computers I work on for friends are those $199 or $249 Best Buy specials that have like a 5200 or 5400rpm spinner in them running Windows 10. Soooooooooo awful haha! Fortunately you can toss a 120gb SSD in there for like fifty bucks these days & get an ENORMOUS speed boost, but sometimes even that is a big financial burden when you're in school making minimum wage etc.

On the flip side, it does drive me more than a little nuts when people complain about laptop prices. "There isn't anything new for under $199?" Are you kidding me? A full, working laptop for two hundred bucks, and you're complaining? And of course, then they complain about how slow it is. I remember when all laptops were like $1,500! Prices today are bananas. You can buy an Intel Compute Stick with Windows 10 & an Atom X5 for $120 these days:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Compute-Computer-Processor-BOXSTK1AW32SC/dp/B01AZC4NHS

It ain't fast, but hey, it's a full computer for beans...

Reactions: lxskllr